Best version of the 7950 and 7970

al10677

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Well the title says it all what are the best versions of the 7950 and 7970? What i need in a GPU: Good decent mid-level sound,good build quality,good overclocking ability and also a necessity which is: GOOD TEMPERATURES WHILE IN USE

Thank you for your help and goodbye :lol:

Personally I believe the Sapphire HD Vapor-x and Dual-X versions are the best, Dual-X for the best OC(best components) and Vapor-X for a greater cooler.

MSI lightning models are great too.

I own 2 x HD7950 Dual-X, both OCd to 1150MHz.

z250kid

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Id stay away from sapphirefrom my expernece two bad brand new cards one failed completly. Shorted out and the second card one of the fans were making a loud ticking noise and made a gridning noise as soon as i opened crysis 3

Have been using them for years. You have an abnormal amount of badluck. But it is possible from any companies for dude to be shipped out.

OPATdlee

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

Just wondering, I own a MSI twin frozr HD7950 and have played around with some OCing on it but in the MSI afterburner and Catalyst control center software the furthest it will let me push it is 1100MHz. What are you using to overclock? Or is it just your cards are capable of a higher clock than mine?

I had some issues with Afterburner for one of them, so I used Sapphire Trixx. It could be that my cards just OC a little more because I added almost no Voltage to get to 1150MHz, luck of the draw I guess.

I can actually reach 1200MHz with one of the cards, but then they would be missmatched.

G

I hit 1200 mhz with my 7950 dual x sapphire without touching voltage.Im pretty sure i could hit 1300 with alittle voltage tweaking but dont usually like messing with voltage,

LOL I would not do that if I were you. 1200MHz is about this chips ceiling. it starts seriously artifacting after that.

What speed is your memory at? I hit 1400MHz with no added voltage?

G

I got 1575 on the memory.Ive heard there isnt much point in going beyond 1200 mhz as you barley see anymore performance after that.

I don't know... I usually do a bench run in a game with fraps bench at each OC to see if my average FPS has gone up. Upto 1200 it did make a difference. Not so much on the memory OC though.