Which card should be in Primary position when using a SLI connector

bdrae

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hello,
I have a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT and a Nvida Quadro 3400 which card should be primary if I'm using a SLI connector with both cards?

bdrae

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

If I'm using AutoCAD software, Photoshop, and SketchUp as my primary graphics software would you get another 6600 or 3400 card, if there still out there. I saw that the 6600 is more for gaming and the 3400 is more for CAD? Thanks,

They have to have the same GPU's that have the same core count and if the memory is the same then that is better but they don't have to be from the same manufacturer or even have the same clockspeeds.

Having used cards from different manufacturers in the past and not having any so called microstuttering I would have to disagree.

ZippyPeanut

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

Yes. I beleive you. I just think that it is less risky to SLI exact models from the same manufacturer. Again, "ideally" is my nitpick, and I reiterate the phrase "minimize the possibility."

"For example, it is rather difficult to get two Nvidia cards obtained from different vendors, which deviate from the reference specification, to cooperate in SLI. From a pool of six different GeForce GTX 580 cards, only two would work together consistently. From a pool of five different GeForce GTX 570s, only three would. We had problems mixing clock rates, BIOSes, supporting platforms, and so on." http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-15.html

In fact, ASRock's Extreme 4 owner's manual warns that exact models be used in SLI.

I understand where you coming from but I would like to point out that in your quote microstuttering is not mentioned. :whistle:

ZippyPeanut

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

Hi, Mousemonkey. I enjoy our conversation. Frank Zappa once said that one's mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work unless it's open. I like polite disagreements, because I so often learn from them--and I'm always open to the possibility of being wrong, especially here on Tom's with so many bright people.

The article is titled "CrossFire, SLI, And Micro-Stuttering." It's a very good article. The first page is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-15.html

Live long and prosper.

TRENDING THREADS