MN-700: how to open ports for Netmeeting

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Connection
  • TCP/IP
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Share
April 15, 2004 3:16:59 PM

I have a MN-700 Wireless Router and i need to know how to
accomplish the following (as per Microsoft):

"Establishing a NetMeeting Connection with a Firewall
When you use NetMeeting to call other users over the
Internet, several IP ports are required to establish the
outbound connection. The following table shows the ports,
their functions, and the resulting connection.

Port Function Outbound Connection
389 Internet Locator Service (ILS) TCP
522 User Location Service TCP
1503 T.120 TCP
1720 H.323 call setup TCP
1731 Audio call control TCP
Dynamic H.323 call control TCP
Dynamic H.323 streaming Real-Time Transfer Protocol (RTP)
over UDP

If you use a firewall to connect to the Internet, it must
be configured so that the IP ports are not blocked.

To establish outbound NetMeeting connections through a
firewall, the firewall must be configured to do the
following:

Pass through primary TCP connections on ports 389, 522,
1503, 1720, and 1731.
Pass through secondary TCP and UDP connections on
dynamically assigned ports (1024-65535). "

Should i use application triggered port forwarding to
accomplish this???

More about : 700 open ports netmeeting

Anonymous
April 15, 2004 8:42:50 PM

The last rule you posted is the problem.

It's not really feasible to make a rule that will pass essentially every
port (1024-65536) to the computer running Netmeeting. That's why H323 is
not a really a NAT friendly protocol.

It simply makes more practical sense to put the computer in question in DMZ.

If you do this, make sure you have sufficient protection on that computer,
as it'll be open to attack. The usual caveats about keeping your windows
and apps up to date on patches, not running unnecessary servers etc etc
apply.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -