Can't "trust" my PC

US_Ranger

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I purchased a laptop pre-loaded with Windows 8. I used my hotmail account that I've had for years to sign in and use as my user account for the store, apps, etc. Now the store and all my apps don't work and I can't add this computer as a trusted PC because it keeps sending me messages to my phone for confirmation.

-I ordered this laptop to an APO address because I'm deployed
-I don't have access to my phone from the United States
-If I want to change the information and get a text message sent to where I'm deployed, it takes 30 DAYS!!!!! 30 DAYS!!!!!

I paid money for this laptop and that includes the Windows 8 license. Now, instead of being able to use it, I'm stuck for the next 30 days without being able to sync my account? Did Microsoft not consider that people who don't have access to their home cell phones might actually purchase a laptop and have it sent to the middle east?

Live chat told me to wait 30 days. Thanks for nothing. How do I fix this?

I also have been trying to ask this exact question on the Windows forum but it won't let me post. (typical)

Solution
you could start it up on a new account and then later merge those accounts? that might not require the phone message to get through.

you might be able to get onto your windows live id account and agree to it from there? i assume you have tried that.

could you go onto your windows live id account and give it a new number? perhaps a skype number? or the number of someone you trust implicitly? that can then email you whatever you need to a webmail account.

some ideas anyway...

US_Ranger

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Thanks for the reply. My first thought was to try and get an email instead of message sent to a phone number. That doesn't work as adding/taking anything away from the security options requires a message to that phone number.

My second thought was to get a number over here (skype or cell phone). I added two different numbers but to "add" any of them requires........a message to my original phone number. If I want to change the number listed, I have to wait 30 days.

Basically, my options are:

-Wait 30 days to "trust" my pc
or
-Access my phone I have no access to because Microsoft, in their glorious wisdom, only allowed messages to phones in order to trust pc's

In the meantime, the store and all the apps don't work.

US_Ranger

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I just remote chatted with a tech. He did remote log-in on my computer and tried to fix it. He said this is the first time they've ever encountered someone who can't access their home phone to "trust" their pc.

I guess microsoft forgot that people are deployed in the military/private sector all over the world without access to their home phone. They're going to try and follow up with an email in 24-48 hours.

Good job microsoft. You did an AMAZING job not taking into account that people don't have access to their cell phones all the time.

US_Ranger

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I just remote chatted with a tech. He did remote log-in on my computer and tried to fix it. He said this is the first time they've ever encountered someone who can't access their home phone to "trust" their pc.

I guess microsoft forgot that people are deployed in the military/private sector all over the world without access to their home phone. They're going to try and follow up with an email in 24-48 hours.

Good job microsoft. You did an AMAZING job not taking into account that people don't have access to their cell phones all the time.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
You may need to create an secondary email address to link to your MS account. This would also be you emergency recovery email if you get locked out of your hotmail account. Once setup they can send those codes and such to the secondary email account rather then the phone.

I would think that it would only be the case with a Microsoft account log in. A local login to your PC should work just like windows 7 and require you to link to accounts as needed.

Your Microsoft account properties are stored in the cloud and are very easy to access if you know your own password.

control panel ->user accounts and family safety-> user accounts
select make changes to my account in pc setting.

I was just able to change the phone number from my cell phone number to my wife's phone and she got the confirm text message code. Then I said I did not get the code and had them send a voice message and a voice called and read the number to me.

Maybe it only works in the USA?

US_Ranger

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

I did create an alternate email address to have a code sent to that instead. Unfortunately, as with changing my phone number, it takes 30 days for it to switch over. This is to add extra security measures apparently. So, on March 9th, I can use a new number or alternate email. If I want to switch faster, I have to use the confirmation number sent to my phone.......

US_Ranger

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

Local log in is the other option. Unfortunately, with Windows 8, it can't sync your apps and most of the apps it does have don't work correctly until you log in with an authorized account. The store doesn't seem to work 90% of the time when logged in with a local account either. Skype doesn't work either and that's a big one because I'm in the middle east and would like to talk to people back home from time to time.

The cell phone change apparently does work if you're in the US. The remote tech was saying it's an oddity because normally that's what happens, you just change the number and get a confirmation. Like I mentioned earlier though, it seems Microsoft didn't take into account that people with APO addresses would buy laptops that have Windows 8.

The new UI apps are validated to your cloud logon account. That account is not validated on the local machine. kind of screwed until you can logon but then again you can not sync until you can logon either.

(I think there is a exception for fallback authentication due to blocked internet access but that would be a specific case that would work for a limited time).

I don't use the metro apps, just the desktop so that is why things work for me. desktop, simple password protection, and you don't have to worry about phone providers can blocking or dropping your SMS text codes.

Solution