AMD False Advertising(?)

claptrap22

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
My fellow gamers should know that AMD has recently subjected customers of its graphics cards to an unfortunate, and what might turn out to be an unsavory, episode. As many here already know, AMD regularly runs promotions with their cards, with the recent Never Settle: Reloaded being especially enticing as it includes free copies of Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite. Imagine the surprise, then, of many customers who went to redeem their Crysis 3 code only to be notified by Origin that the code had already been redeemed. That is to say, AMD had been issuing used codes. Now, I don't think AMD purposely issued used codes. However, the company has been unsatisfactorily responsive. A gentleman who is a forum moderator has been as helpful as he can be, but it's quite clear AMD is at a loss. Meanwhile, their customers (this is my second HD 7950 got crossfire) lose faith in them by the day. I think gamers should be aware of what is going on as this is likely the last time I buy AMD. Again, not because of the error but because the company seems remarkably flat footed.

claptrap22

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012

Sir/Madam - I would not have posted if it was simple as all that. Me and many other gamers have gone days without a response from AMD. Further, the issue isn't merely that they get gamers the codes at some point (which I am assuming they'll _have_ to do). Rather, it's the lack of responsiveness. Visit the AMD forums and you'll see that the moderator is being put in the position of handling what is essentially a customer service issue - that is, an issue the customer service department that AMD urged all of us to contact if we had any problem. This is really a matter of corporate integrity. This doesn't need to be a bid deal to everyone - but some consumers like to deal with companies that respond to concerns and this post is for those people.

Ok I understand where you're coming from but I don't see how posting here will get you any closer to your games.

I'm sure AMD will get back to you.

Link the forum post or it never happened. You have no prove that this is the case. It could just be a troll looking to get a free code.

IF THIS WERE true, we would not be reading this from you. This sort of baad rep spreads like wildfire and withing days are on the tech news headlines.

The formal manner of your post leads me to believe you are a troll.

LINK OR IT NEVER HAPPENED! That is and will always be our forum moto...

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004

You need to call up Origin EA and tell them your problem

claptrap22

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=164420&enterthread=y

Satisfied?

how is it that you're convinced it's AMD and not EA's fault? either party could be at fault here as AMD could've just as easily gave you bad codes as EA could have accidentally set those codes in their registry as used.

"One possible cause is from an individual mistakenly trying to register a game-key on the wrong platform (Origin, Steam, or Uplay). Please see the list below pairing the game title with the correct platform:

I have also been informed that some coupon codes have specific country formats. FarCry 3's codes are regional, for example. To continue the example - what this means is that there is potential for an individual to buy FarCry 3 (get a coupon code) from Germany, but that customer lives in the UK. I have also been made aware that Crysis 3's codes are regional too."

THIS MAKES ME VERY CONCERNED!!! So I can not redeem my codes in South Africa since there probably is no region for south africa connected to these codes! WTF!

There will be all hell to pay when I get my uncapped solution up and running again at home if this is the case.

this is directly from the thread you linked:

"Specific to Crysis 3:
We have provided a sample of "invalid" codes to EA, and they were able to confirm the codes were good. Therefore, customers are asked to contact EA directly. In review of topic threads on EA's various forums, customers that call EA's support line are receiving direct attention and service.

AMD will work on a case-by-case basis with each individual that has experienced this issue. Please e-mail support@amd4u.com to resolve the issue. For Crysis 3 specifically, if you are confident the cause is not related to the region issue explained above, then contact EA directly."

Given your experience it is very concerning, hopefully AMD can have this resolved. unfortunately, it is true that these promotions are not guaranteed to work in all countries (due to bureaucratic BS). hope you guys can resolve this!

Well...

"After thorough investigation, the "fatal error" message that occured two days ago has been identified as the root cause to a server error that then sent a number of customers the exact same game-keys.

An e-mail is being sent to those affected customers updating them on the issue. I suspect the vast majority of people that posted to this thread are among those affected. I have been told that within the next 24-48 hours, new game-keys will be sent out."

Sure you will receive a new code by Monday...

I'm honestly surprised most companies would rather let customers iron out the minor issues, rather than get glowing, perfect reviews on their products.

It's unfortunate but this is a result of marketing research. similar to voting blocs, marketing blocs and demographics exist and are well defined. the portion of the desktop PC market that would research AMD forums and Tom's before buying a card is actually limited. and as long as the issue is contained within a small population, it would never hit a major media outlet, which ultimately means that it is CHEAPER to let the customer iron out minor issues than to spend the resources necessary to get perfect reviews. this is also an unfortunate outcome of the free market (someone always looses due to cost-optimization. no company can make money trying to satisfy everyone's needs)

claptrap22

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
People should know - for any still following or interested - that many of us have not even gotten responses from emailing AMD much less replaced codes. I think many of us would not be quite so irate if AMD simply responded to us as a courtesy. It's entirely understandable that a promotion can go wrong. It's not understandable that AMD hasn't had the good sense to simply respond to our emails to acknowledge our concerns.