AMD Never Settle: Upgrade GTX 460?

ghixson

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hi all.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming only, essentially. I play a wide variety of games, but, as of now, none on the bleeding edge of current tech like Far Cry 3, Battlefield 3, or especially Crysis 3. I basically do no other graphics intensive work.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: MSI GTX 460 192-bit and Antec BP550 Plus 550W.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz (unlocked 4th core) and ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX mobo.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Amazon.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Looking at AMD due to Never Settle deal.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680 x 1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have a little under $150 in gift cards on Amazon.com. I've been itching to upgrade my computer, although it really still performs very well. Most of the games I play aren't all that graphics intensive - League of Legends, Path of Exile, Morrowind (still!). I guess I play a lot of older games. However, I'm strongly considering transitioning away from console games, so I want to prepare for the future. Moreover, I also will, without a doubt, 100%, obtain BioShock Infinite for my PC. I can either purchase the game for $60, leaving quite a bit of money left over from my gift card, or take advantage of the Never Settle deal.

I had been drooling over the PowerColor 7870 Tahiti LE based card. Unfortunately, those appear to be consistently out of stock, and the price just keeps on rising on Amazon even while the card isn't available. Therefore, I've been looking into the 7850 2gb - the MSI TwinFrozr currently appears to be a reliable card at a nice price. But I can't help but wonder if the 1gb cards might be a better idea. I'd like to think that the 2gb 7850's are more future proof, and therefore the extra cost could be well justified.

Also, although I'm currently using a 1680 x 1050 monitor, I am looking at upgrading to a higher resolution monitor in the not too distant future.

In the end, I'm willing to spend more than just my gift card, but I don't really want to spend over $200 (including the gift cards). It would be nice to spend less than $50 of my own money. So, hopefully some of you have stayed with me through this entire post, and can give me your thoughts on whether I should wait on the 7870 LE, go for the 7850 2gb, 7850 2gb, or just buy the game and not worry about upgrading until later.

Thanks!

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/338824

nuff said, 7950 is all you will need and by far the best value.

don't listen to others, the 7870LE is not worth the scarifies for the price... saving $25 for inferior 2gb 256bit ram compared to awesome 3gb 384bit samsung ddr5 alone is worth that easily, plus the added shaders is just icing on top. will hold is resale value even better

just step down to a $190 7870 if price is an issue.

not interested in crysis or bioshock.... sell the game keys for about $35 each on the low end and save yourself $70 off the normal $270-290 price of well cooled 7950's.