Is my 7870 going bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8tehgr8

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
Hey guys,

For the past two weeks I have been having trouble with my graphics card. It is a Saphire Radeon 7870 GHz edition. In various places on my screen, and at various times, strange flashing fragments from other parts of my screen appear in clusters. This is not constant, and it seems to be random when it happens. I can't print screen it, when I try it just comes out as looking normal. When I drag a window over the flashing bits they go away, but they come back later. My temps seem to be normal... 32 C while I am typing this. I tried reseating the card last night, which worked for a while, but the bits came back today. I have also tried reinstalling drivers to no avail. I built my computer in October, so the card is not that old. So, is the card going bad, or is there something I can do to help it. I really don't want to go through the hassle of RMA'ing it, because I just got on my 3 week break, and god forbid I can't game. :kaola: Thanks for your help.

windryyder

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Do you have another card you can try, or a different pc you can try your video card out in? If you have onboard graphics, will that work without the problem showing itself? Does it happen only while gaming or doing less intensive tasks like web browsing? If you have another video cable, or if you have option of switching from DVI to VGA, (assuming the card and monitor have both of those to change to) does that make a difference? If your pc works fine with another card or onboard graphics, I would lean toward the card being the problem, or possibly the pcie slot its in or the power supply. If it happens with another card, it could be harder to nail down, maybe system board, cables, monitor, power supply, RAM, which now that I think of it, maybe test your RAM as well in case some of it is bad (bad ram can cause all sorts of weird problems beyond crashes and lockups).

n8tehgr8

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

I do not have another video card. How does one go about testing the ram? Is there a program that will check it for me? Also, I am running 2 monitors, one HDMI and the other DVI. The problem appears on both monitors, and it seems to gradually be getting worse. This problem happens both when just web browsing as well as some weird shadow/rendering glitches in games.

festerovic

Distinguished
You can test the RAM with memtest86, a free program that you can google. Is the PC overclocked? Also, if your temps are 32C then you are not seeing normal operating temps, you're seeing the idle temps. You need to apply a load (try furmark) to the GPU and use a monitoring software like GPU-z to watch the temps. Let it test for 20 minutes to see the real temps. If your temps are good after that, then the rest of the PC may be more suspect than the card.

n8tehgr8

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
Some updates:

Ran Ramtest for a few passes, no errors found so it is not the ram. There are never any problems on the BIOS screen or the startup screen which makes me think that it may just be a driver problem. Thoughts? Also, where can I find legacy AMD drivers? I tried the website but I could not find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.