Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Radeon HD 7970 GHZ version 5 monitors - issue/advice needed.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 1, 2013 10:36:44 PM

Hello everyone,
thank you for reading this!

I'm currently running an Radeon HD 7970 GHZ version gpu..
it has 6 slots, 4 mini-display ports and 2 DVI.
So far i was running 3 monitors and one TV on this PC...3 monitors @ eyefinity 5760x1080 and a 42" inch TV above that.
everything was connected to the mini-display ports, 2 of those are active.

The issue is here: I would like to connect a projector to this PC.. .the slots are there, but it doesn't let me activate more than 4 at a time.. do i need third active port? or what..
currently I have the 3 monitors and the projector on.. the tv is dark :( 

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/61407_422...
http://s22.postimage.org/cuqj6ken5/2013_03_02_01_31_49_...

side note: the projector screen is 135" :D  the monitors are 24 27 27 and tv is 42.. the projector is benq w1070 (just bought it, awesome!)


I would like to use 5 slots.. out of 6, does anyone know what do I need to get or in what order connect the stuff to get it work?!

Thanks a lot!
a b C Monitor
March 1, 2013 11:09:13 PM

does the manual state what the maximum amount of devices supported is?

just because it has six outputs does not necessary mean you can run six devices.
March 1, 2013 11:16:29 PM

Hello, well it supports 6 monitor eyefinity, though I have not tried that.
About the monitor amount I only found this:

AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology
Up to 6 displays supported with DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport
Independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls, and video overlays
Display grouping
Combine multiple displays to behave like a single large display
- See more at: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/79...


http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/79...


I had the same issue as now when I tried to make the 4th monitor (tv) work, it only let me do 3 at once ...so I got another active mini display port cable and it worked ( currently 2 active connected)...
Related resources
a b C Monitor
March 2, 2013 7:47:04 PM

Raidou24 said:

Up to 6 displays supported with DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport

that is the important part, and there aren't any MST hubs available yet and I don't know of any DP monitors that allows daisy chaining either... if you have any dvi connections running the max comes down.. I think you should be able to use all 4 DPs and one dvi at the same time, but not 100% sure. 2 DVIs and 3 DPs is unlikely to work from what I understand about the output logic and the TMDS signals it has available for the connections.
March 3, 2013 1:20:18 AM

hmm, do i need another active dp port? i'm using 4 dp ports 2 active and i tried to connect the 5th to an dvi, the PC sees it, but catalyst says that in current configuration this operation is not supported (when trying to expand to fifth screen.

I'm not really sure about the active DP ports, but I needed one for third monitor and another one for fourth ... or else it wouldn't work, should I try to buy third active dp port? So far i figured 2 monitors without any active DP ports = ok, for third i need one and for fourth monitor i need another one..

thanks
a b C Monitor
March 3, 2013 12:41:45 PM

how exactly do you have the monitors/tv connected? Are they all connected to the DisplayPorts on the card? You are using DP-to-DVI active adapters? (thou it shouldn't matter, active/passive type only effects the max resolution. The card doesn't really care, as long as it is connected to the DisplayPort and not the DVI, it will treat them the same...)
March 3, 2013 10:27:34 PM

Kari said:
how exactly do you have the monitors/tv connected? Are they all connected to the DisplayPorts on the card? You are using DP-to-DVI active adapters? (thou it shouldn't matter, active/passive type only effects the max resolution. The card doesn't really care, as long as it is connected to the DisplayPort and not the DVI, it will treat them the same...)



hmm:

1 DP = DP-> DVI (passive cable) => Monitor
2 DP = DP-> DVI(active convertor)->DVI->HDMI(convertor)->HDMI cable => was TV, now it's projector
3 DP = DP-> DVI(active convertor)->DVI->DVI cable => Monitor (the middle one 27")
4 DP = DP-> DVI(passive cable) => Monitor


1 DVI = DVI->HDMI convertor (passive) -> HDMI cable goes to TV now, catalyst sees it, but doesn't let me activate it (doesn't let me exapnd or duplicate, nothing..)
2 DVI = free

I actually don't remember why it's so messed up, but I've been trying to connect this stuff for the first time and it was try/failure type of work xD

Soooooo... the theory (based on my personal experience) is that it allows me to use only 2 monitors without any active convertors/cables, so if I wanted to use all 6 I would need to have 4 active cables/convertors on the DP and 2 passive DVI for all 6... If there is no other solution (idk, maybe you know something) I will probably buy another active DP->DVI convertor add an DVI->HDMI passive convertor and then connect the the tv with a hdmi cable.. If it wont work, wasted 38 €

a b C Monitor
March 4, 2013 4:55:45 PM

interesting...

I'm certain you won't be able to use all 6 outputs on the card at the same time even if the card supports up to 6 monitors via the DP MST technology. It would require all of the monitors to be connected to the DP ports only and daisy chaining 2 monitors into one port using native DP1.2 monitors or MST hubs that dont yet exist (times 2 or 3)...
March 5, 2013 3:49:14 PM

Kari said:
interesting...

I'm certain you won't be able to use all 6 outputs on the card at the same time even if the card supports up to 6 monitors via the DP MST technology. It would require all of the monitors to be connected to the DP ports only and daisy chaining 2 monitors into one port using native DP1.2 monitors or MST hubs that dont yet exist (times 2 or 3)...


Thanks for the insight.

But to be honest I hope that you are wrong xD

I've ordered another active DP to DVI adapter, it should have arrived at the shop alrdy.

Based on the info I found on the amd.com that backed my theory...

Connecting multiple monitors for AMD Eyefinity technology couldn’t be simpler. There are four easy rules to remember:

The first two monitors can connect to the graphics card with any display output on your product: HDMI, VGA, DVI or DisplayPort.
The third (or greater) display must be connected to the graphics card via DisplayPort.
If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, you will need an inexpensive active DisplayPort adapter for it. DVI to DP adapters can be had for less than $30 USD.2
Every family of GPUs supports a different maximum number of displays. ..... the 7900 line is listed under "up to 6"

also from amd.com :

I want the 3x1 landscape + 2 extended (the TV and projector)


As my card has 4 DP + 2 DVI .. I just hope it's all in the amount of active adapters. I will post here in a day or two with the result, fingers crossed xD


Cheers
March 5, 2013 4:06:06 PM

Sorry for the double post, but it did not let me edit the old one for some reason..


: edit: for anyone intersted I have this card (i'm giving out a link, because there are so many of the 7970 out there..)

I'm one of the first in my country to get it btw, it was at the end of last summer and it had to be shipped from germany (had to wait for few weeks)

http://www.amazon.com/DirectCU-1000MHz-Overclocked-Grap...

a b C Monitor
March 5, 2013 4:46:57 PM

well those screenshots surely seem to back up your side of the argument... hmm could it be that I've been slightly misinformed about this issue all this time? lol

*eagerly waiting for the results* :I
March 6, 2013 2:30:48 PM

I'm back from the shop :D 

it's in, it's working!

the 3x1 landscape + TV (above) + projector on the left!
I have 3 active DP->DVI convertors now on 2 of those are DVI->HDMI convertors for the TV and projector, one DVI cable goes from monitor to the active DP->DVi and one monitor goes from DP-> DVI( cable) and last monitor goes directly to the DVI on the gpu xD

While I was in the shop I also bought a home theatre that I was looking forward to for a while, now I have no freakin idea how to make it work xD

http://www.lg.com/uk/home-entertainment/lg-DH6520T-home...
it's this one, basically I have 3 choices (2 of them don't work and I don't have the cables for third)... first one would be to use the hdmi to connect it to the PC (hdmi->dvi, aka last free slot) tried it, the PC doesn't detect it at all.. another option is to connect the hdmi to the 2nd hdmi slot in the projector(also tried it, didn't work) BUT... the projector has it's own audio, the PC sees it and it doesn't play it, no sound coming out, can be something with my sound card ... last option is to use the basic audio cables to connect the theatre into the projector, but i bet it'd be the same as with hdmi. doh.. idk what to do with this, calling my IT guy at the company that made my PC




So basically theory worked, anyone with same/similar card can use it.
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2013 5:14:40 PM

Raidou24 said:
I'm back from the shop :D 

it's in, it's working!

the 3x1 landscape + TV (above) + projector on the left!
I have 3 active DP->DVI convertors now on 2 of those are DVI->HDMI convertors for the TV and projector, one DVI cable goes from monitor to the active DP->DVi and one monitor goes from DP-> DVI( cable) and last monitor goes directly to the DVI on the gpu xD

nice!

Quote:
first one would be to use the hdmi to connect it to the PC (hdmi->dvi, aka last free slot) tried it, the PC doesn't detect it at all..

the hdmi on the player is marked as output, so it is meant to be connected to a TV or projector, not your graphics card... also the player doesnt have any video inputs.
How excatly are you planning to use it?
You could route your audio from the pc to it via optical cable, or if you wanna hook it up to the TV if the tv has audio output... or both if you have the right output options.

I think it should have worked when you connected the theater system to the projector with hdmi, so you'd get video from the player on the wall...
March 6, 2013 6:47:17 PM

hey, well the new ati (amd) cards have a built in sound chip, so they can receive video and audio through hdmi..., but nvm it did not work, i talked to my IT guy on the phone and i went back to the shop to buy the optical cable since I found out that I have it on my motherboard (not on my other sound card)


"I think it should have worked when you connected the theater system to the projector with hdmi, so you'd get video from the player on the wall..."

it should have, but meh it didn't >_>

Anyway, everything is working now, the theatre system is working through optical cable without an issue, i've just set up all the speakers across the room.. :bounce: 
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2013 7:21:31 PM

Raidou24 said:
hey, well the new ati (amd) cards have a built in sound chip, so they can receive video and audio through hdmi...

hmm are you sure about this? I thought the built in sound device was there so one wouldnt need to hook up the graphics card to the (internal) sound header on the mobo/sound card to get audio into the hdmi output. (that was the way it worked on early cards with hdmi outputs). No where have I seen it mentioned that it would work as a input.

edit so the sound device just eliminates one extra cable inside the case making it easier to setup...

March 6, 2013 8:09:45 PM

You would think that by now anyone working with eyefinity would have the common knowledge that you can only use 2 outputs that use the chip's built in digital output, ie dvi, passive displayport, no matter what combination of said connectors. So on a card with 4 mini displayport connectors and 2 dvi, if you wanted to use all six outputs, you would have to use 4 active adapters on the displayport connections (if not using screens with displayport inputs) and use the dvis to connect the other 2 displays.
March 6, 2013 8:20:19 PM

I was told that by the guy in the shop who put together my PC, I did not research it myself and I don't really plan to ^^
March 6, 2013 8:25:04 PM

every1hasaids said:
You would think that by now anyone working with eyefinity would have the common knowledge that you can only use 2 outputs that use the chip's built in digital output, ie dvi, passive displayport, no matter what combination of said connectors. So on a card with 4 mini displayport connectors and 2 dvi, if you wanted to use all six outputs, you would have to use 4 active adapters on the displayport connections (if not using screens with displayport inputs) and use the dvis to connect the other 2 displays.


What do you mean "by now" ? ^^ eyefinity or overall multi-monitor setups are a new(some months) thing for me and idk, where you are from, but in czech republic people rarely use it.
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2013 9:07:11 PM

every1hasaids said:
You would think that by now anyone working with eyefinity would have the common knowledge that you can only use 2 outputs that use the chip's built in digital output, ie dvi, passive displayport, no matter what combination of said connectors. So on a card with 4 mini displayport connectors and 2 dvi, if you wanted to use all six outputs, you would have to use 4 active adapters on the displayport connections (if not using screens with displayport inputs) and use the dvis to connect the other 2 displays.

so what does the active part actually do in the adapter? I've been under the impression that you can get single link dvi through passive just fine while dual link needs some active electronics in there to do the conversion.

Also the cards output logic has 6 TMDS signals and DVI and HDMI consume 2 per connection so what is preventing it from running 3 DVIs at the same time? seriously this has been bugging me for some time now...

And does native DP need any tmds signals to work?
March 6, 2013 9:42:42 PM

The only Radeon card I am aware of that can run more than 2 passive displays is the Sapphire Flex series since they have the active adapter built into the displayport. That is an additional chip that is soldered onto the pcb. As far as I know the TMDS are integrated into the Radeon graphics chips themselves. Which is why almost all Radeon cards will only run 2 passive displays at once. What specific model of card is the one that you are using?
March 6, 2013 9:49:51 PM

Kari said:
so what does the active part actually do in the adapter? I've been under the impression that you can get single link dvi through passive just fine while dual link needs some active electronics in there to do the conversion.

Also the cards output logic has 6 TMDS signals and DVI and HDMI consume 2 per connection so what is preventing it from running 3 DVIs at the same time? seriously this has been bugging me for some time now...

And does native DP need any tmds signals to work?



All you have to do is read the wiki on displayport to understand how it works differently than DVI or HDMI (and how much better it is).

I don't know why you could get a single link DVI signal to work but not a Dual Link, I know that you can actually gt away with using a passive VGA D-SUB adapter since it does not use the TMDS signal, but have heard it looks like poo compared to the monitors sitting next to it using DVI or an active signal.

Native Diplayport does not use TMDS.
April 29, 2013 9:58:00 PM

Would like to know which type of active converter are you using?
I bought the same 7970 graphic card and trying to get 6 monitor display working.
Currently only manage to get 4 monitor display working.
!