Sign in with
Your question

Video or Motherboard problem?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2013 1:25:23 AM

Hello

I have an Alienware M17 R2 with with Dual 1gb ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4870 in Crossfire x video cards.

It has frozen twice while playing a game and I had to do a hard shutdown. The third time it froze I was just on the Internet and I got the blue screen. It said video driver problem and to reinstall them. When I tried to restart the computer I got no video. Fans come on all the lights and dvd drive power up but nothing on the screen.

For the sake of it I tried the HDMI connection on another monitor with no luck.

There is no POST beep so not sure if it is even getting as far as the BIOS.

I think maybe something wrong the motherboard.

Is their a possible way to check these to rule out one or the other? I don’t really want to buy two new video cards if that’s not the problem.

Thank You all for the help!

KP

a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2013 1:28:17 AM

I would say that driver problems are to blame, other than that i cannot tell you anything else. Laptops are not my forte
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
March 2, 2013 2:06:36 AM

in the laptop graphic card are soldered to the motherboard ,you will have to bring it to the shop where you bought it for a check do not open it or you will void your warranty .
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2013 2:12:01 AM

Probably a driver issue, I had a similar problem on my desktop and it was caused by the Intel HD4000 IGP. I solved it by increasing the IGP voltage offset and deleting, then re-installing the latest drivers. You may also need to flash your BIOS to the latest version, if it isn't already on the latest version. Perhaps your laptop could be over-heating, too. It's hard to say, if you can't fix it, it could be a hardware issue. You might want to run Memtest x86+ or just take it to a shop.
m
l
March 6, 2013 12:56:11 AM

First of all thank you for the replies.
I can't seem to test anything because nothing comes up on the screen, not even the post screen with the BIOS version. It does seem like it is booting when i start it though. I have never known a video card to do that. Drivers are usually a simple fix.

Thanks again for the help
m
l
!