Sign in with
Your question

Disadvantages of Bridging?

Last response: in Networking
April 7, 2012 5:50:17 AM

Hi there,
I'm looking to set up two routers in my house connected to one modem and I have a vague understanding that I need to bridge my routers (or chain/cascade? or whatever the Ultimate sticky is talking about I'll worry about that in a bit after I figure this out...) and I'd like to know what the disadvantages are. I'd like to know if there are any performance issues in particular, such as one router bottle necking the other.

The routers I have in question are an "Asus RT-N66U" and a "Linksys E2000" and I would like to hook the modem up to the E2000 and then the E2000 to the N66U.

More about : disadvantages bridging

April 7, 2012 8:11:48 AM

I gather you would like to connect the routers via wireless. Unless there is a bridging function on at least one of the two routers you wont be able to do what you are describing over wireless. You will need to connect both routers to together or/and to a gateway (modem) by cable.
Otherwise the only downside is lower speed than a wired connection.
Keep in mind that you should only have one DHCP server running (on modem) and manually assign addresses on routers (outside DHCP pool).
m
l
April 7, 2012 6:29:24 PM

Actually, they will be wired together.

So one router wouldn't slow down the other for gaming or streaming?
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2012 7:52:35 AM

Both routers are great! Wireless N and Gbit Lan on both, OK the users connected to the Linksys may have slightly slower connection speeds (assuming their adapters can get speeds >300Mbps) but still very good.
I'm guessing your modem has Gbit lan ports also?
It would be a really big shame to have a "slower" modem screwing things up for everyone.
If in fact your modem is slower, I highly suggest doing all your routing on the Asus (which is best of the three).
Otherwise dude, you're aces!
m
l
April 11, 2012 9:35:48 AM

No Limitz said:
Actually, they will be wired together.

So one router wouldn't slow down the other for gaming or streaming?

You won't notice. I currently have four switches in my network, all of them cheap ass *** and it's just as fast as it was before. Just make sure you have DHCP, firewall and NAT enabled on only one router or you'll get problems.

Btw, Jeremy Clarkson is the man.
m
l
April 11, 2012 9:36:29 AM

*routers I meant.
m
l
!