Sign in with
Your question

Sudden lag while gaming (GTX 670 SLI)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2013 9:14:22 AM

Hi,

I have a problem with my PC and it is becoming very annoying. I purchased my PC about 8 months ago and it has been running fine, however when Hitman: Absolution got released, I tried to run it on my PC on maximum settings and I was not satisfied with the FPS. The FPS was jumping up and down depending on the level detail in each level, so I figured that maybe the drivers are not optimized for this game very well, so I tried to download the latest drivers available and there was no WHQL drivers, only beta drivers. I downloaded the beta drivers thinking that it will improve the gameplay performance, but after playing the game it will run smoothly for about 5-10mins, but then the FPS will drop and it starts lagging. I have to pause the game or alt+tab for a bit so it can become smooth again.

This lagging is not only in Hitman: Absolution, it's in any game, Crysis 2, Crysis 3, Diablo 3, Far Cry 3, etc. I tried uninstalling the drivers for my graphics card and installing a clean copy of the latest drivers. I checked for the fans of the cards if they are jammed or something and they were running fine. I have been having this problem for about 2-3 months but I have been playing a lot less because of college. Now I want to play Crysis 3 but the same problem still exists. I want to format my PC so maybe that will fix the problem but I'm too lazy now and I have college so I can't really do that right now. So please help me identify the source of this problem. I really hope it is a software problem rather than a hardware one. :/ 

Here is a picture from GPU-Z while playing Crysis 3 smoothly:

http://i.imgur.com/M4e8zXc.png

Here is a picture when it starts lagging:

http://i.imgur.com/6HqpPRa.png

Settings:

http://i.imgur.com/o1d3gbO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LHTWwXS.jpg

Here are my PC specs:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz
GPU: 2 x PNY GeForce GTX 670 SLI (latest drivers)
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-850M 850W ATX
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III
Western Digital 1TB
Western Digital 320GB
Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0596 130mm Frio Advanced CPU Cooler
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R White

Thanks for reading and sorry for my bad English. :D 
March 2, 2013 6:17:31 PM

I am having the same problem with similar specs. except I have a 550 TI. and only one graphics card. Everything was running fine until just a couple weeks ago...
March 2, 2013 7:31:44 PM

Hopefully someone here will have a solution for this problem.
Related resources
March 2, 2013 10:48:52 PM

Looks like a driver issue, I'd try installing older drivers. It's weird as the gpu load drops from 47% to 25% while also overclocking itself and then you get the slow downs.
Could also try forced alternate frame rendering for a selected game in the nvidia control panel. (nvidia control panel - manage 3d settings - sli rendering mode - force alternate frame rendering)
March 5, 2013 5:56:29 AM

Sh4d0w45p said:
Looks like a driver issue, I'd try installing older drivers. It's weird as the gpu load drops from 47% to 25% while also overclocking itself and then you get the slow downs.
Could also try forced alternate frame rendering for a selected game in the nvidia control panel. (nvidia control panel - manage 3d settings - sli rendering mode - force alternate frame rendering)

I installed an older driver. Tried the alternate frame rendering, but the problem is still there. :( 
March 7, 2013 5:08:13 PM

Well. I think I fixed the problem, sort of. I thought maybe the GPU temperature has some thing to do with the lag. The GPU temperature is around 38-40 °C when idle, and it's around 70-75 °C when under load. I think the under load temperature is in an acceptable range, however, I thought maybe it has to go down a bit to run smoothly. I downloaded and installed EVGA Precision X, and I increased the GPU fan speed to 80%. The fan speed originally goes to 50% when under load if it set to auto. It never goes above 50%. Anyway, I started playing Crysis 3 for quite a bit. I checked the temperature few times when I was playing, it was about 50-51 °C. The game was running smoothly @ around 80-100 FPS, no FPS drops, no lag spikes. I don't really know if it's a good or a bad sign, that my cards are not being able to handle games at 70-75 °C. It's probably bad. :/ 
!