Sign in with
Your question

Need a Diagnosis, not quite sure what is causing my card to crash

March 2, 2013 10:34:41 AM

Greetings, I have a Nvidia GTX 580 and I've been having a problem for the last 3 months or so where my graphics card drivers will randomly crash upon playing games for a while. I would normally think that it is because I'm straining the card and it's getting too hot as it is about 3 and a half years old.

The odd thing is that it doesn't seem to be a straight up straining problem and could be driver compatibility. I have had this issue of the card crashing with multiple games that aren't intensive in the slightest, some of them being 'Beyond Good and Evil' and 'Mass Effect' while not having a problem playing some newer AAA titles such as Farcry 3. This issue also seems to happen when the card is only at about 50-55C while it'll stay at the stagnant 60-65C w/o happening.

This issue was fixed with some games by going back to older drivers from about 2010 and not updating to the latest but still happens with a lot of stuff.

Of course the first question to ask would be if I overclock and if I have had any other component problems in the past. I do not overclock at all and the only previous issue I've had is a hard drive crapping out which I have replaced.

There are also sometimes where if it crashes, but I continue to play the game without taking a long break, it'll do it multiple times and upon maybe the 3rd or 4th the computer will restart automatically. When windows restarts, a window will pop up saying what the problem was (but it is mainly a lot of numbers which I don't understand). The thing that stands out is that it says that the problem was a blue screen.

I am honestly perplexed and have no idea what the issue is. The only thing I can think is that it is either the graphics card or the power supply but I'm not sure at all.
!