Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 Question

SevLancer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hey all, just got a quick question, I'm putting a PC together, its going well but I'm stuck at adding a GPU, I want to stick a 680 in this, and I found a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 for $599, its a 4gb card, and I'm just wondering why its so cheap against other manufactures, such as EVGA and ASUS? Its actually cheaper than most other brands 2gb boards, is there a reason for this? is it just brand name, or does the Gigabyte 680 have some issues that are known and should be avoided? Thanks!

If you want to handle 3 monitors on that card, then go for the 4Gb version, but if you plan to stick with your 1080p setups, then 2GB is plenty.I would also recommend you get a 670 instead it be better bang for buck.As for the card your asking about it's a decent card nothing to be worried about at least not that i am aware of reviews of it seem fine as well.

SevLancer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
So, as far as boards go, nothing wrong with this one, no hidden problems? Just making sure since the price of other 680s, and even some 670s are more costly, as in around 700-800. Still, why is this one so cheap as opposed to the other 680's?

What's the resolution of your monitor(s) ?
Just a thought, the 670 gtx from the same brand and model(2GB of vram) is less 180$(aus dollars) : http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20209
You can check several reviews that shows the performance difference of the 680 vs 670 is really minimal, also 2GB of ram is more than suffice if your monitor resolution is 1080p or even 1440p.

Estacado

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
yeah gigabyte products are cheaper than the other brands like gtx 670 gtx 680 and hd 7970 even they are oc but that doesnt mean its bad brand gigabyte has history in graphic cards

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
That price is around the mark for that card in Aus. Very generally speaking... Gigabyte cards seem to be usually priced somewhere around the middle of the range with Asus, MSI, EVGA being higher and brands like Zotac, Galaxy, Leadtek priced lower for similar specced models( 4GB, Super OC, etc) Agree with advice suggesting a gtx 670. And personally even with future proofing in mind I would be too worried about paying extra for a 4GB model.:

compare gtx670 performance across a range of games:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-review,3200-15.html

Some points:

1) I went to that link. The EVGA 4GB models are way, way overpriced.

2) As mentioned, 4GB is not needed. You're better off with a FASTER 2GB card (or cheaper 2GB of the same performance).

3) The very BEST GTX680 is the Asus GTX680 TOP (aka "DC2T") model. I own this one:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_876&products_id=20326

*This Asus is 3-slots, but it's the fastest and also the quietest card due to its very large cooling solution. It doesn't even bend because it has a backplate. If you want a 680 this is the one to get.

4) AMD however has some great deals (Crysis 3 and Bioshock included with some cards). If you've got the money, the HD7970 GHz cards are good.

*You need to investigate these games as I see no reference here.

There's a big range in price on the HD7970's. There are HD7970's and "HD7970 GHz" edition cards.

For example:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1309&products_id=19553

This is another 3-slot and is an HD7970 yet is capable of overclocking to 1000MHz while still being fairly quiet. A great value (especially if those games are included).

Summary:
- investigate the free games
- relative performance in this order: HD7970, GTX680, HD7970 GHz (varies within models too)
- NVidia or AMD? (Pros and Cons)
- Best GTX680 is the Asus GTX680 TOP
- Best HD7970? (Pros and Cons. The 3-slot Asus would be my choice. The 6GB Sapphire is too expensive)

Final note:
If those game coupons aren't available it makes the decision much harder. In a few games the AMD architecture does pull ahead, on the other hand there is a fair amount of evidence that AMD cards tend to stutter more with the NVidia cards providing more consistent frame time performance.

Cheers.

SevLancer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Oh wow, thanks for all the input guys, given me plenty to think about! Things sure have changed, the last time I put a PC together the only difficult choice was choosing Nvidia or ATI, then you just getting the highest model board. Its all a bit overwhelming now, so many brands, specs and other things to take into account.

That pc lasted me nearly 7-8 years, I got lazy after that and got an Alienware m17x just over 3 years ago- worst choice I ever made. It recently died, with a little help from a 1 and a half year old girl and a glass of drink lol So yeah. Decided to build my own again.

Also, that GTX680 TOP is massive. O_O Not sure it will even fit my mobo? (Sabertooth Z77)

I noticed the Gigabyte cards aren't as "pretty" as the ASUS and EVGA cards, lacking backplates, casings and other fancy stuff. Is this maybe why they are cheaper?

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

look at my profile pic, a normal gtx 670 is the brown/black one and the blue one is the Gigabyte GTX 670. Its soo cooland the original 670 has a plastic extension on it to make it seem big but its not.

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Always been happy with Gigabyte GPUs. From a price / performance perspective the gtx 680 is sitting in 'no builders land' at the moment. As suggested by photonboy above, the 670 / 7970 /7970 GHz Ed is more on the money.

Have you bought that Sabertooth yet? Possibly some better options for you there too. Check out the ASUS P8Z77-V. Very similar features to the Sabertooth and $50 less. Just not covered with the heat trapping junk.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1183&products_id=19888

Or you aren't tied to Asus. Asrock Extreme 4 will save you even more.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1183&products_id=19867

SevLancer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I haven't bought it yet, but I'm pretty keen on it. The cleanness of it really sold me. My issue is if a GTX680 TOP will fit in it, pretty sure it will, not so sure about a second one if I decide to add one later.

Edit

Ok guys, this is the entire build (sort of) The case will actually be the White version, but its not on part picker, same for the power supply. Both are relatively the same dimensions as what I have in the list.

I'm not fussed about price at this point or anything, I only have two questions.

1) Will all this, including the GPU fit in this case, and will there be room to SLI it if I decided to later on as prices drop?

2) Honestly, how well will this run? Im not big on video editing or modeling that kind of stuff, this will be purely for games, such as Far Cry 3, The Witcher, Metro, Skyrim and similar games. I used to get by on around medium settings with my m17x which had 2 580 mobility Radeons in Crossfire. Which I had problems with from day one, anything with AA on would tear and distort, Crossfire not working unless full screen, random display crashes. Which is why I'm shying from ATI cards atm. But honestly, will I be able to max any games with this setup? and keep my FPS around 60ish?

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/H6FI

Well that will play pretty much everything you throw at it at high to ultra settings 1080p.Now you won't be getting 60 fps in all games.I would suggest you look at current benchmarks to get a better idea of what to expect.Also one Asus 680 Top will fit fine no worries there.I do not think you can run 2x asus 680 tops in Sli on that motherboard.However i may be wrong.

SevLancer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Alright, nice. I don't know benchmarking and all that stuff, I look at those screens and im just "..what am I looking at here?" As for the GPU, I'm aware the mobo supports SLI, my problem is the size of the GTX680 TOP and if it will even fit in this case with all the other components and still have room to add a second one later on.

The card will fit in the case and one 680 TOP will work fine with that motherboard as for SLI i am not sure sorry.

SevLancer

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Sorry for the late replies, juggling two kids, work and stuff while trying to find time to sleep gets hectic, but thanks for all the replies and advice, you guys have been awesome!

I think I'm going to stick with the build I have and just put a single 680 TOP in it, I don't need games on ultra, high is good enough for me, that should keep my FPS up around 50-60, I hope. I don't know why but if I'm playing something with lower FPS I get dizzy and feel kinda uh..seasick? ANYWAY! Thanks again guys for the insight and advice. Cheers. :D