Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

The Daily Show

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 11:00:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I have a season pass (first run only) and TIVO insists on recording every
single time the show is on (I think it is 3x a day). Is there something
about this show that fools TIVO into thinking they are first runs, and/or is
there any workaround you can suggest. TIA.
Alan

More about : daily show

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 11:39:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"exjd" <exjd@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:8b-dnWP8Rem2r9LfRVn-sA@rcn.net:

> I have a season pass (first run only) and TIVO insists on
> recording every single time the show is on (I think it is 3x a
> day). Is there something about this show that fools TIVO into
> thinking they are first runs, and/or is there any workaround you
> can suggest. TIA.

Frustrating, isn't it. I was on the road all week and ended up with 4
episodes the same (all Thursday) and lost the whole week. What's
annoying is that a few weeks ago it worked fine. I assume it is to do
with the title of the show being used to define whether you have it or
not and now it has reverted back to the title of "The Daily Show with
Jon Stewart".

The only thing I think you can do is record the timeslot every day,
which I am going to do from now on.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:30:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> Frustrating, isn't it. I was on the road all week and ended up with 4
> episodes the same (all Thursday) and lost the whole week. What's
> annoying is that a few weeks ago it worked fine. I assume it is to do
> with the title of the show being used to define whether you have it or
> not and now it has reverted back to the title of "The Daily Show with
> Jon Stewart".
>
> The only thing I think you can do is record the timeslot every day,
> which I am going to do from now on.

It's got to be the episode descriptions. I'm noticing that when TDS is
in reruns that the descriptions don't include the guest so that they are
identical, and they're *not* marked as repeats. I'm guessing that this
is what's causing every one to be recorded. It only does it on weeks
with repeats, so the majority of the time it's not a problem.

Somebody needs to inform the schedule service that they're not marking
them as repeats when they should be.

Randy S.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 6:36:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

GaryM <gmaddr-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Frustrating, isn't it. I was on the road all week and ended up with 4
> episodes the same (all Thursday) and lost the whole week. What's

I think the "info" has been updated to include guests, but there were old
shows in the last week or so that had the old info, which was useless.
At the opening of the show, the announcement and video include the date if
it is new, and don't include the date for repeated shows that are more than
a few days old.

> The only thing I think you can do is record the timeslot every day,
> which I am going to do from now on.

I manually record the 7am time slot to avoid conflicts at night.

--
---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8,-122.5
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 6:36:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

>>The only thing I think you can do is record the timeslot every day,
>>which I am going to do from now on.
>
>
> I manually record the 7am time slot to avoid conflicts at night.
>

I don't know if it matters, but that may not be *exactly* the same as
the 11 pm show. He had a bit on a couple weeks ago where he used some
not-so-primetime words and joked that people who watched at 11 pm or 1
am would hear everything, but those who watched the morning show time
would only get beeps ;-)

It was actually a pretty funny bit, though not nearly so funny as when
Al Sharpton was on a couple weeks ago and seemingly humped the couch!?
What was he smoking that night? John seemed rather taken aback ;-).

Randy S.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 7:11:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 2nmm0$vi0$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...
>
> It was actually a pretty funny bit, though not nearly so funny as when Al
> Sharpton was on a couple weeks ago and seemingly humped the couch!? What
> was he smoking that night? John seemed rather taken aback ;-).

Wow, I missed *that* one...but what was really funny was the whole, "No,
John...George W. Bush has HUGE BALLS!" skit from last week.

Ed
84HurstOlds@nowherenow.com
April 3, 2005 9:41:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Randy S. wrote:
>
>>> The only thing I think you can do is record the timeslot every day,
>>> which I am going to do from now on.
>>
>>
>>
>> I manually record the 7am time slot to avoid conflicts at night.
>>
>
> I don't know if it matters, but that may not be *exactly* the same as
> the 11 pm show. He had a bit on a couple weeks ago where he used some
> not-so-primetime words and joked that people who watched at 11 pm or 1
> am would hear everything, but those who watched the morning show time
> would only get beeps ;-)
>
> It was actually a pretty funny bit, though not nearly so funny as when
> Al Sharpton was on a couple weeks ago and seemingly humped the couch!?
> What was he smoking that night? John seemed rather taken aback ;-).
>
> Randy S.

That was Al *Green*, not Al Sharpton :-)

- John
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:41:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in
news:D 2nmm0$vi0$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu:

> I don't know if it matters, but that may not be *exactly* the same
> as the 11 pm show. He had a bit on a couple weeks ago where he
> used some not-so-primetime words and joked that people who watched
> at 11 pm or 1 am would hear everything, but those who watched the
> morning show time would only get beeps ;-)
>

I noticed that too. In fact it makes me wonder if Com. Central can show
the uncersored "South Park - Bigger, longer, uncut" after 1am, do they
unbleep Stewart?
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:55:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

>> It was actually a pretty funny bit, though not nearly so funny as when
>> Al Sharpton was on a couple weeks ago and seemingly humped the couch!?
>> What was he smoking that night? John seemed rather taken aback ;-).
>>
>> Randy S.
>
>
> That was Al *Green*, not Al Sharpton :-)
>
> - John

Oh, geez, how did I manage do screw that one up! ;-). I suppose they're
both Rev. though :-/

Randy S.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:25:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <8b-dnWP8Rem2r9LfRVn-sA@rcn.net>,
"exjd" <exjd@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> I have a season pass (first run only) and TIVO insists on recording every
> single time the show is on (I think it is 3x a day). Is there something
> about this show that fools TIVO into thinking they are first runs, and/or is
> there any workaround you can suggest. TIA.

The problem is with the episode IDs and first-run air dates (not the
descriptions per se, as others have said, unless you consider this
information to be part of the description). Every episode of every TV show
has (or can have) a unique ID number, and the TiVo tracks these to know
when shows are duplicate airings. First-run air dates are used to
determine when a show is a first-run episode, if you opt to record new
episodes only. (Note that "first-run" has a specific meaning in TiVo-land
-- I believe it's "first-run" if a show's first-run air date is within a
week [or maybe two] of the show's actual air date. This lets the TiVo
record a show that's being re-run within a week or so of the actual
first-run date if that showing was in conflict with a higher-priority
show.) If the ID number and first-run air date are missing in the guide
data the TiVo receives, the TiVo doesn't know that some episodes are
repeats and/or not first-run, and so records the show, working on the
assumption that it's better to record old shows than to not record new
ones.

Historically, "The Daily Show" has been pretty awful about providing guide
data generally, so this problem has been pretty common. For the past few
months, they've been much better about it, but a couple of weeks ago, the
data seemed to disappear. Sometimes the episode IDs (and other guide data)
are missing for reruns, but not for new shows, but there were some new
ones that were missing data recently, too. With any luck, the episode IDs
and other guide data will return when they start showing new episodes, but
I can't promise that.

In the meantime, or if they don't resume delivering accurate guide data, I
know of no true fix, but there are some workarounds possible:

- Go into the To Do list and delete what you believe to be duplicate
episodes. Typically, that'll mean leaving the 11:00 EST showing in place
and deleting the others, but of course you could make changes if you've
got something else recording at that time on some day.

- Change your Wish List or Season Pass to keep one recording only. This
won't really fix the problem, but it will ensure that your Now Showing
list won't have several identical episodes; at most, you'll have one
complete episode and one that's being recorded. The downside is that
you'll need to watch the show before a new one appears, or the old one
will be wiped out by it.

- Delete your Wish List or Season Pass and create one or more repeating
recordings by time. This works best if conflicts with at least one
"Daily Show" time slot are rare. If you create a M-F repeating
recording, you'll also get whatever they happen to show on Fridays
during the time slot you've chosen. If you don't want this, you'll need
to create four daily repeating recordings, one for each day.

In the long term, you could try complaining to Comedy Central, and perhaps
also to TiVo (or DirecTV, if you've got a DirecTiVo). Ultimately, it's the
station that's responsible for delivering this data (via third parties),
so putting pressure on them (directly and via the companies they supply)
to get their act together could have a desirable effect. Then too, space
aliens could land atop the UN building and usher in a new era of world
peace. I'm not sure which is more likely.

--
Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux, FreeBSD, and networking
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:25:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> The problem is with the episode IDs and first-run air dates (not the
> descriptions per se, as others have said, unless you consider this
> information to be part of the description).

<snip>

I'm certain you're correct, but I do think there is a correlation
between the generic show descriptions and the missing ep. ID's.

> In the long term, you could try complaining to Comedy Central, and perhaps
> also to TiVo (or DirecTV, if you've got a DirecTiVo). Ultimately, it's the
> station that's responsible for delivering this data (via third parties),
> so putting pressure on them (directly and via the companies they supply)
> to get their act together could have a desirable effect. Then too, space
> aliens could land atop the UN building and usher in a new era of world
> peace. I'm not sure which is more likely.

Since broadcasters are conflicted about Tivo in general (probably
leaning towards "dislike"), I would have to agree with you here.

Randy S.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:39:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Randy S. <rswittNO@spamgmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if it matters, but that may not be *exactly* the same as
> the 11 pm show. He had a bit on a couple weeks ago where he used some
> not-so-primetime words and joked that people who watched at 11 pm or 1
> am would hear everything, but those who watched the morning show time
> would only get beeps ;-)

I saw that one "live"... at 10pm PST on DTV, so it's a replay already, and
the "word" was there. I meant to watch my 7am version, but I forgot.

> It was actually a pretty funny bit, though not nearly so funny as when
> Al Sharpton was on a couple weeks ago and seemingly humped the couch!?
> What was he smoking that night? John seemed rather taken aback ;-).

That was Al Green, not Sharpton, although Sharpton has been on the show.
I guess I didn't have the right angle, 'cause I didn't see what Jon thought
was so hilarious. I didn't think Al Green was very good on the show.

--
---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8,-122.5
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:06:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <d2po3o$vk6$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>,
"Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> writes:
>
>> The problem is with the episode IDs and first-run air dates (not the
>> descriptions per se, as others have said, unless you consider this
>> information to be part of the description).
>
> <snip>
>
> I'm certain you're correct, but I do think there is a correlation
> between the generic show descriptions and the missing ep. ID's.

Yes, but not on a technical level; it's just that if the broadcasters
typically provide either a complete data set or nothing at all, beyond
basic "Show X is on at 9:00."

>> In the long term, you could try complaining to Comedy Central, and perhaps
>> also to TiVo (or DirecTV, if you've got a DirecTiVo). Ultimately, it's the
>> station that's responsible for delivering this data (via third parties),
>> so putting pressure on them (directly and via the companies they supply)
>> to get their act together could have a desirable effect. Then too, space
>> aliens could land atop the UN building and usher in a new era of world
>> peace. I'm not sure which is more likely.
>
> Since broadcasters are conflicted about Tivo in general (probably
> leaning towards "dislike"), I would have to agree with you here.

My sarcasm has more to do with the fact that commercial TV is set up to
please advertisers rather than viewers than with anything TiVo-specific.
Throw in a dash of scorn for big corporations, and voila: comments poking
fun at the effectiveness of complaints filed by individuals with
broadcasters.

As a practical matter, TiVo and DirecTV get their guide data from
commercial services that also provide data to newspapers and others.
AFAIK, broadcasters have no way of denying TiVo the data while still
providing it to these other sources. Thus, I don't think TiVo animosity
really explains the lack of complete guide data. In other words, I believe
Hanlon's Razor applies: "Never attribute to malice that which is
adequately explained by stupidity." Or, in this case, laziness is a more
likely motivator.

--
Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux, FreeBSD, and networking
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:06:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

>><snip>
>>
>>I'm certain you're correct, but I do think there is a correlation
>>between the generic show descriptions and the missing ep. ID's.
>
>
> Yes, but not on a technical level; it's just that if the broadcasters
> typically provide either a complete data set or nothing at all, beyond
> basic "Show X is on at 9:00."

No, I understood what you were saying, that's exactly what I was thinking.

One other data point I just noticed. My Tivo is recording 4 time slots
of the repeats, but not the normal timeslot of 11 PM. So either the
normal time slot is marked correctly, or they're not showing it at all then.

Randy S.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 6:25:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <d2puas$vlu$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>,
"Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> writes:
>
> One other data point I just noticed. My Tivo is recording 4 time slots
> of the repeats, but not the normal timeslot of 11 PM. So either the
> normal time slot is marked correctly, or they're not showing it at all then.

Mine's recording them all, including the 11:00 showing. I've got a
DirecTiVo, though, so it could be a difference in guide data. OTOH,
perhaps you've got a conflict that's preventing the 11:00 showing from
recording.

--
Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux, FreeBSD, and networking
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 11:12:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

rodsmith@nessus.rodsbooks.com (Rod Smith) wrote in
news:t206i2-268.ln1@speaker.rodsbooks.com:

> The problem is with the episode IDs and first-run air dates (not
> the descriptions per se, as others have said, unless you consider
> this information to be part of the description). Every episode of
> every TV show has (or can have) a unique ID number, and the TiVo
> tracks these to know when shows are duplicate airings.

Using my Myth box I was able drill deeper into the guide data and the
show id is indeed identical for all future airings (even the 11pm
slot). In addition it shows first air date given as some time in 1999.

(By the way, this is one area where Tivo has better scheduling that
MythtV, because I can record the slot once a week, or every day in
Myth, whereas I suffer only one wasted day with Tivo's M-F option.)
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 8:48:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 2005-04-02 19:00:43 -0500, "exjd" <exjd@yahoo.com> said:

> I have a season pass (first run only) and TIVO insists on recording
> every single time the show is on (I think it is 3x a day). Is there
> something about this show that fools TIVO into thinking they are first
> runs, and/or is there any workaround you can suggest. TIA.
> Alan

I have the same problem with "the daily show" and some other cable
shows. The problem is if the show does not provide the show
information to TIVO than tivo just assumes it is a first run show no
matter when it comes on. The only way around that is to manually
record the daily show at the same time everyday.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 5:52:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Musical Legend Al Green, not Al Sharpton...................... LOL

Randy S. wrote:

>
>
>
> It was actually a pretty funny bit, though not nearly so funny as when
> Al Sharpton was on a couple weeks ago and seemingly humped the couch!?
> What was he smoking that night? John seemed rather taken aback ;-).
>
> Randy S.


--
Ric Seyler
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 6:59:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

dold@xrexxthexd.usenet.us.com wrote:
> Randy S. <rswittNO@spamgmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know if it matters, but that may not be *exactly* the same as
>> the 11 pm show. He had a bit on a couple weeks ago where he used some
>> not-so-primetime words and joked that people who watched at 11 pm or 1
>> am would hear everything, but those who watched the morning show time
>> would only get beeps ;-)

> I saw that one "live"... at 10pm PST on DTV, so it's a replay already, and
> the "word" was there. I meant to watch my 7am version, but I forgot.

I watched the Friday morning replay of Thursday (4/7) night's show, and the
word "BS" was bleeped, along with another that I thought was innocuous, and
one was allowed that I would have bleeped, if I were going to bleep "BS".
It wasn't the title of a book, like it was on the previous show, but I
wonder if anyone saw it unbleeped on Thursday night.

---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8,-122.5
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 10:34:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

exjd wrote:
> I have a season pass (first run only) and TIVO insists on recording
every
> single time the show is on (I think it is 3x a day). Is there
something
> about this show that fools TIVO into thinking they are first runs,
and/or is
> there any workaround you can suggest. TIA.

The Daily Show in particular (and Comedy Central in general) have
always been a headache for Tivo (and probably for every other PVR)
since they don't do a very good job of reporting episode numbers or
specific episode data to the Tribune Services database. This means that
Tivo has no way of telling one episode from another (and, hence, all
the duplicates). They also don't pay too much attention to the clock,
regularly starting/ending their shows late.

The best way I've found to deal with it is to set up a manual recording
on Comedy Central from 11:00-11:30 (used to be 11:00-12:00 when Collin
was still on). Until Comedy Central gets their act together and starts
reporting episode numbers, this is really the only way to deal with it.

It's ironic, since John Stewart is always talking about his Tivo. I
wonder if he's ever tried recording his OWN show.

-Eric
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 3:22:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"The best way I've found to deal with it is to set up a manual
recording
on Comedy Central from 11:00-11:30 (used to be 11:00-12:00 when Collin
was still on). Until Comedy Central gets their act together and starts
reporting episode numbers, this is really the only way to deal with
it."

I'm still surpirsed that Tivo does not let you change the options on a
season pass- like I can with my DVR. I set mine to record The Daily
Show show Monday-Thursday at 11PM.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 5:52:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

GaryM wrote:
> (By the way, this is one area where Tivo has better scheduling that
> MythtV, because I can record the slot once a week, or every day in
> Myth, whereas I suffer only one wasted day with Tivo's M-F option.)

Hey, if I could drill your brain a bit, I was thinking about building a
MythTV box. What kind of video card does yours use? How does the
recording quality and convenience compare to Tivo? Was it a hassle to
get set up?

I've been putting together the components for my own Myth box (all I
need now are a case and video card). I thought it might be a nice
alternative to Tivo, since I presume it's easier to get raw Mpeg-2
files from it and it doesn't have a monthly fee to use. But I really
enjoy the convenience and quality of Tivo and wasn't sure how they
compared.

-Eric
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:14:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

smaug86 wrote:
> "The best way I've found to deal with it is to set up a manual
> recording
> on Comedy Central from 11:00-11:30 (used to be 11:00-12:00 when Collin
> was still on). Until Comedy Central gets their act together and starts
> reporting episode numbers, this is really the only way to deal with
> it."
>
> I'm still surpirsed that Tivo does not let you change the options on a
> season pass- like I can with my DVR. I set mine to record The Daily
> Show show Monday-Thursday at 11PM.
>

Actually you can, that's exactly what a manual recording is (well, you
may only have a M-F option, not sure about that). But the Tivo is
trying to be *smarter* than that. It doesn't want to assume that a show
is on at a particular time, you tell it what show, it will find when and
where it's on. This almost always works great and is much easier than a
recording dictated by time. It'll catch reschedulings and preemptions
that your DVR's method won't.

However, these "smarts" are only as good as the information provided it
(garbage in, garbage out, you know ;-), and a few shows (The Daily show
in particular apparently) don't send reliable guide information all the
time. You can hardly blame this on Tivo.

I noticed that SNL must have had bad guide info this weekend as well, I
got a 3 am recording of a classic SNL repeat rather than the 11:30 new
one. Oh well, probably better material anyway ;-). Anybody else see
the same thing? Or has everybody given up completely on SNL (I probably
watch 25% after skimming through the truly horrible skits).

Randy S.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:49:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

elrous0@pop.uky.edu wrote in
news:1113252746.854927.87310@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Hey, if I could drill your brain a bit, I was thinking about
> building a MythTV box. What kind of video card does yours use? How
> does the recording quality and convenience compare to Tivo? Was it
> a hassle to get set up?

I went with the Hauppage PVR-350 and the quality is superb. It is as
good as, if not better than Tivo. With the on-board MPEG enc/dec the
CPU barely breaks a sweat during recording or playback leading me to
believe I overpowered the box selecting a Sempron 1.8GHz. The
responsiveness of the menus is way better than Tivo (especially when
my starts to fill up), however they do lack the high quality and
clarity of Tivo. Commercial skipping is outstanding. The system is
very stable, but every now and then the front-end crashes. You just
don't see stuff like that with Tivo.

I have to be brutally honest and say it is a *huge* hassle to get
going. I'm reasonably *nix savvy and I spent 3 weeks in oscillating
between phases of dispair and hope, wondering what I was going to do
with this hardware I dropped good coin on. When I got it going I
vowed never to touch a thing about it. All I will say is that there
is help out there and most of the questions have been asked and
answered, but finding them can be a pain.

I feel more comfortable now and will upgrade to 0.18 which comes out
in the next day or two.

Here's my Newegg order:

1x CASE ANTEC|MINUET 220W RETAIL (this is a good choice but you WILL
need another fan or the thing hums like cicada)
1x MB NFORCE 3 K8VGAM BIOSTAR RTL
1x TV TUNER HAUPAUGE|WINTV-PVR 350 PCI
2x DDRAM 512MB|64X64 PC-2700 8T CRL%
1x HD 200GB| SEAGATE 7200 ST3200822A
1x CPU AMD|SEMPRN 1.8GHZ SDA3100AXBOX
1x KB&MS LOGITECH|CORDLESS DSKTP LX501

>
> I've been putting together the components for my own Myth box (all
> I need now are a case and video card). I thought it might be a
> nice alternative to Tivo, since I presume it's easier to get raw
> Mpeg-2 files from it and it doesn't have a monthly fee to use. But
> I really enjoy the convenience and quality of Tivo and wasn't sure
> how they compared.

I believe many folks go for the Nvidia GEForce FX5200 as you can pick
them up for well under a 100 bucks these days. This device has on-
board MPEG decoding too I believe as well as TV out. You'll still
need a tuner though.

The .nuv format is MPEG I believe and so simply mapping a network
drive from your linux box with Samba gets you access to all your
tapings. Likewise, you have the option of centralizing the myth
backend and running the frontend(s) on a different box(es). All good
stuff.

I will strongly recommend you stick with the common flavors of Linux
folks use. I went with FC3 and you'll see many references to "jaord's
guide" which is the set up guide for Myth and FC2. I sent the guy
money when I was done. It was *that* useful.

My email is live, so drop me a line if I can be of further
assistance, especially when you get into the project ...

Gary
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:29:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Has anyone figured out which show to Tivo on the west coast that is
beepless?
April 12, 2005 4:09:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> wrote in news:D 3eiaf$1gqs$1
@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu:

> I noticed that SNL must have had bad guide info this weekend as well, I
> got a 3 am recording of a classic SNL repeat rather than the 11:30 new
> one. Oh well, probably better material anyway ;-). Anybody else see
> the same thing? Or has everybody given up completely on SNL (I probably
> watch 25% after skimming through the truly horrible skits).

I used to do that. Then it got down to just a few skits and Weekend
Update. Then just a couple skits and Weekend Update. Then just Weekend
Update. Then I decided if I wanted to watch a couple retards whine about
politics, I could just as well tune in to (insert favorite or most hated
talking head here) and deleted the SP.

--
Minister of All Things Digital & Electronic, and Holder of Past Knowledge
stile99@email.com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
I speak for no one but myself, and |Caffeine will be assimilated.
no one else speaks for me. O- | Decaf is futile.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:57:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

elrous0@pop.uky.edu wrote:
> the duplicates). They also don't pay too much attention to the clock,
> regularly starting/ending their shows late.

My manual recording is padded 1 minute early and two minutes late.
It really disturbs my karma to have it stop just after Jon says "here's
your moment of zen:" ;-)

> It's ironic, since John Stewart is always talking about his Tivo. I
> wonder if he's ever tried recording his OWN show.

Not if he did a wishlist with "John" Stewart ;-)

--
---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8,-122.5
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:58:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> My manual recording is padded 1 minute early and two minutes late.
> It really disturbs my karma to have it stop just after Jon says "here's
> your moment of zen:" ;-)

Damn, that's a good idea, I hate that too!

Randy S.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:43:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

GaryM wrote:
> My email is live, so drop me a line if I can be of further
> assistance, especially when you get into the project ...

Wow, thanks for all the info! I have a couple of ATI All-in-wonder
cards laying around that I was going to use (I understand that getting
them to place nice with Linux can be a bit of a chore). Processor is a
2.2 Ghz P4. I've got 512 MB of RAM. I'm hoping this will be enough even
without hardware Mpeg encoding (don't think the all-in-wonders will do
this).

-Eric
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 12:07:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Actually you can, that's exactly what a manual recording is"

I can also make a manual recording of any channel on any day at any
time(and then adjusting it still more if I want). What I was talking
about is actually selecting a series for your Season Pass and then
adjusting the recording options for that series while still in the
Season Pass mode. I can record a series on just one day or everyday or
only on Monday and Tuesday, If I want. It's pretty flexible and it's
something I would expect to be able to do on TiVo, if and when I ever
decide to buy one.

"It'll catch reschedulings and preemptions
that your DVR's method won't."

The Daily Show doesn't get rescheduled and pre-empted.

"However, these "smarts" are only as good as the information provided
it"

Exactly. If the program guide does not list the rescheduled programs
then no amount of recording options and features will save you.

"I noticed that SNL must have had bad guide info this weekend as well,
I
got a 3 am recording of a classic SNL repeat rather than the 11:30 new
one. Oh well, probably better material anyway ;-). Anybody else see
the same thing?"

My DVR only recorded the new 11:30PM episode so we have to be getting
our guide info from different sources. My cable company is Time
Warner.l
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:43:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Ok, my laptop crashed the other day, so I can't respond to the
appropriate post in this thread, but I discovered why my TDS recordings
were repeating, and it wasn't the guides fault!

Well, it was, but it was a local guide problem not a source problem.
Seems my Tivo stopped recognizing my network adapter at some point and I
was down to 3 days of guide data. Since it must have lost it almost 2
weeks ago, I have no idea why, but I do seem to recall some
thunderstorms and power outages back then.

I know that TDS doesn't announce its guests very far in advance, so I'm
certain that's why I was getting so many repeats. A simple reboot of
the DVR got my adapter recognized again and all new guide data.

Randy S.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:09:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

smaug86 wrote:
> "Actually you can, that's exactly what a manual recording is"
>
> I can also make a manual recording of any channel on any day at any
> time(and then adjusting it still more if I want). What I was talking
> about is actually selecting a series for your Season Pass and then
> adjusting the recording options for that series while still in the
> Season Pass mode. I can record a series on just one day or everyday or
> only on Monday and Tuesday, If I want. It's pretty flexible and it's
> something I would expect to be able to do on TiVo, if and when I ever
> decide to buy one.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Why would you want to only
record a new show only part of the time? And what would your criteria
be? Tivo offers all reasonable options I believe, new shows only, new
shows and repeats, or all showings. I can't really see other situations
that I'd want often enough such that it wouldn't be easier to just
supplement w/ a manual recording.

>
> "It'll catch reschedulings and preemptions
> that your DVR's method won't."
>
> The Daily Show doesn't get rescheduled and pre-empted.

No? How about the expanded shows during the elections (I'd call that a
change in schedule)? Would your DVR have gotten all those for you
automatically, even though they weren't in the normal time slot? Tivo's
software would and did.

>
> "However, these "smarts" are only as good as the information provided
> it"
>
> Exactly. If the program guide does not list the rescheduled programs
> then no amount of recording options and features will save you.

Well, that's true for everyone. However guide mistakes are not that
common. TDS's schedule is sometimes screwed up, but as I noted in
another post the repeated mistakes I was getting turned out to be my
fault, not Tivo's.

>
> "I noticed that SNL must have had bad guide info this weekend as well,
> I
> got a 3 am recording of a classic SNL repeat rather than the 11:30 new
> one. Oh well, probably better material anyway ;-). Anybody else see
> the same thing?"
>
> My DVR only recorded the new 11:30PM episode so we have to be getting
> our guide info from different sources. My cable company is Time
> Warner.l

I do think it uses different guide data, but in this particular case my
recording was screwed up by the same reason as above, lack of guide
updates on my part.

Randy S.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:29:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <d3gjah$rgi$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>,
"Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> writes:
>
> I discovered why my TDS recordings
> were repeating, and it wasn't the guides fault!
>
> Well, it was, but it was a local guide problem not a source problem.
> Seems my Tivo stopped recognizing my network adapter at some point and I
> was down to 3 days of guide data.
....
> A simple reboot of
> the DVR got my adapter recognized again and all new guide data.

Are you saying that you've actually got data for "The Daily Show" now and
that shows aren't repeat-recording? If so, you're luckier than I am; the
last I checked (last night), "The Daily Show" was still not delivering
full data and my DirecTiVo was scheduling every showing it could. :-( I do
have close to two weeks of guide data, too.

--
Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux, FreeBSD, and networking
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:29:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

>>A simple reboot of
>>the DVR got my adapter recognized again and all new guide data.
>
>
> Are you saying that you've actually got data for "The Daily Show" now and
> that shows aren't repeat-recording? If so, you're luckier than I am; the
> last I checked (last night), "The Daily Show" was still not delivering
> full data and my DirecTiVo was scheduling every showing it could. :-( I do
> have close to two weeks of guide data, too.
>

Hmm, you're right, I have not confirmed that. I just assumed that the
two were connected since it seemed very coincidental. I'll check
tonight, but I think you are correct as the online schedule (at
https://www3.tivo.com/tivo-com/tco/search.do) shows generic descriptions
only as well.

Randy S.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:33:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <1113283751.766075.252810@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
relaxification@hotmail.com writes:
>
> Has anyone figured out which show to Tivo on the west coast that is
> beepless?

AFAIK, none is beepless. It's just that they got (special?) dispensation
to not beep one "naughty" word on some showings of one particular show,
presumably because the word was part of the title of the book whose author
was on the show.

--
Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux, FreeBSD, and networking
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:46:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

None of them will be completely uncensored.
But the show at the live 10:00 PM (central) time slot
will be able to get more through the censors than the repeat
of the same episode showing again at say 9:00 am.

And the Daily Show has been like this with the episode data & TiVo for
years.
Nothing new.

relaxification@hotmail.com wrote:

>Has anyone figured out which show to Tivo on the west coast that is
>beepless?
>
>
>

--
Ric Seyler
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 12:18:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

RicSeyler wrote:
> None of them will be completely uncensored.
> But the show at the live 10:00 PM (central) time slot
> will be able to get more through the censors than the repeat
> of the same episode showing again at say 9:00 am.
>
> And the Daily Show has been like this with the episode data & TiVo for
> years.
> Nothing new.

True to some extent, but this is the longest extended period of time
that I've seen it like this.

Randy S.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:21:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <o3Z6e.70038$wo1.68447@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
RicSeyler <ricseyler@SPAMgulf.net> writes:
>
> And the Daily Show has been like this with the episode data & TiVo for
> years.
> Nothing new.

Yes and no. Several months ago it was like this (no episode-specific guide
data), but a few months ago they got their act together and started
delivering guide data a week or so before shows aired. Thus, the annoying
repeat recording problem went away for several months. About two weeks
ago, the episode-specific data disappeared again.

--
Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux, FreeBSD, and networking
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:00:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 4/12/2005 19:46, RicSeyler allegedly wrote:
> None of them will be completely uncensored.
> But the show at the live 10:00 PM (central) time slot
> will be able to get more through the censors than the repeat
> of the same episode showing again at say 9:00 am.

They tape it at about 6:30 NY time.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:12:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

smaug86 wrote:
> I can also make a manual recording of any channel on any day at any
> time(and then adjusting it still more if I want). What I was talking
> about is actually selecting a series for your Season Pass and then
> adjusting the recording options for that series while still in the
> Season Pass mode. I can record a series on just one day or everyday
or
> only on Monday and Tuesday, If I want.

Pragmatically, what's the difference between that and a manual
recording? What's the difference between you saying "I want to record
the Daily Show each night at 11pm" and me setting up a manual recording
to record Comedy Central each night from 11:00-11:30? Either way, if
neither of us have the guide data to distinguish between new shows and
repeats (and I'm sure your guide ultimately uses data from Tribune
Media Services, same as Tivo and all other PVR's). So, either way, it's
a manual recording.

The only real advantage I see in your method is that it (presumably)
won't record if The Daily Show is preempted or just not shown some
night (which almost never happens). It also makes it easier to deal
with Fridays (on Tivo there is a way to deal with that too, but it
takes a little more time to set up than your method). Either way, this
is a fairly trivial difference, in practical application.

Compare this to the many advantages that Tivo offers (especially now,
with since they introduced TivotoGo and made their Home Media service
free) and it would seem a pretty minor advantage. With the ability to
add extra hard drives, TivotoGo, and all the neat Home Media options
Tivo has (listening to internet radio and MP3's through the network,
weather and news, transfering videos to DVD, etc.) Tivo simply can't be
touched by any other stand-alone PVR. And Tivo has even recently
released development kits so that even more stuff can be offered in the
future (ebay over your Tivo, etc.).

-Eric
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:55:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

<elrous0@pop.uky.edu> wrote in message news:1113397971.857726.29710@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> smaug86 wrote:
> > I can also make a manual recording of any channel on any day at any
> > time(and then adjusting it still more if I want). What I was talking
> > about is actually selecting a series for your Season Pass and then
> > adjusting the recording options for that series while still in the
> > Season Pass mode. I can record a series on just one day or everyday
> or
> > only on Monday and Tuesday, If I want.
>
> Pragmatically, what's the difference between that and a manual
> recording? What's the difference between you saying "I want to record
> the Daily Show each night at 11pm" and me setting up a manual recording
> to record Comedy Central each night from 11:00-11:30? Either way, if
> neither of us have the guide data to distinguish between new shows and
> repeats (and I'm sure your guide ultimately uses data from Tribune
> Media Services, same as Tivo and all other PVR's). So, either way, it's
> a manual recording.
>
> The only real advantage I see in your method is that it (presumably)
> won't record if The Daily Show is preempted or just not shown some
> night (which almost never happens). It also makes it easier to deal
> with Fridays (on Tivo there is a way to deal with that too, but it
> takes a little more time to set up than your method). Either way, this
> is a fairly trivial difference, in practical application.
....

My wife's DVR has a manual Season Pass to The Daily Show for the
morning repeat of the previous night's episode. A couple of times
each month a movie will preempt the Monday morning show.
When I see this in the To Do List, I delete that scheduled item.
If a movie doesn't preempt the Monday morning show, it typically
is a repeat of the Friday episode.

The M-F Season Pass was easier to setup than 4 separate weekday
passes for Tuesday through Friday and it is only one entry in the
Season Pass list.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:23:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Randy S. wrote:
> > My manual recording is padded 1 minute early and two minutes late.
> > It really disturbs my karma to have it stop just after Jon says
"here's
> > your moment of zen:" ;-)
>
> Damn, that's a good idea, I hate that too!

They problem with that is that you can't record anything that ends at
11:00 or starts at 11:30. Until Comedy Central gets its act together,
I'll just have to keep missing my moment of zen.

-Eric
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:31:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> They problem with that is that you can't record anything that ends at
> 11:00 or starts at 11:30. Until Comedy Central gets its act together,
> I'll just have to keep missing my moment of zen.
>
> -Eric
>

That's certainly true, though I personally don't forsee any conflicts
that I wouldn't want TDS to win.

Randy S.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:24:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

elrous0@pop.uky.edu wrote:
> They problem with that is that you can't record anything that ends at
> 11:00 or starts at 11:30. Until Comedy Central gets its act together,
> I'll just have to keep missing my moment of zen.

But I'm recording the 7am slot manually... no competition there in my
house.

--
---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8,-122.5
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:25:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"RicSeyler" <ricseyler@SPAMgulf.net> wrote in message news:o 3Z6e.70038$wo1.68447@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
> None of them will be completely uncensored.
> But the show at the live 10:00 PM (central) time slot
> will be able to get more through the censors than the repeat
> of the same episode showing again at say 9:00 am.
>
....

I didn't think cable channels had censors. If they do, then it is highly
unlikely there would be censors on hand for repeat showings of the
previously taped program. None of The Daily Show airings is live,
but is taped earlier in the evening if not a repeat episode.

I suspect all the talk about what is or isn't censored is no more
than buzz about the show. Jon Stewart is smart enough to know
what would be clipped or not, and wouldn't say something that
gets bleeped unless he wants the bleep to occur. In other words,
the bleeps are intentional and scripted. It's done to make the
program seem daring and cutting edge.
!