Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Want to setup wifi in my flat - dunno what to shoot for?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 21, 2012 7:07:13 PM

Hey there!

first time posting in the wireless networking section on TH.

I live in a flat thas roughly 3200sft constructed of 5"~10" brick walls and i have a desktop not far from a wifi modem. what i want to do is connect my desktop and a laptop to the internet via a wireless router , with the desktop running wired cat6from the router (or not).

usage needs:
1| would want to primarily share my net over desktop and laptop
2| be able to game on our lan between another person via desktop not online multiplayer
3| share files between clients/users in my flat
4| allow for guests to use the net wirelessly e.g: when my sister visits.

could live without option 2.

i am unsure of what sort of hardware i should be looking for but i am aware of the reduction in signal strength and data throughput when you have objects in the line of sight of device in a household.

if it is possible to run wireless on my desktop as well, i'll give it a try but only if it is possible.

* i live in Bangladesh and will be purchasing off of newegg or similar sites but would want some/any feedback if i'm headed the right way.

here's my mock up of hardware:
Asus RT N-53
BUFFALO WLI-UC-GNHP AirStation N-Technology - for Rig 2 mem config'd desktop

or go pci express for desktop
ASUS PCE-N10 Wireless Adapter
ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter

or am i good with the cat 6 cable?

** if needed i can provide a layout/plan of my flat to help you make me understand the best arrangement+equipment in my scenario.
*** will also take up reading links if provided.

not expecting to be spoonfed though...and i'd want to get it right.

thanks for taking the time :sweat:  :) 
March 22, 2012 6:38:39 PM

The router is fine: however, I would use the DD-WRT firmware on it.

also I prefer a wired connection over WiFi; nevertheless, if you like to go wireless on the desktop get the PCE-N15.

furthermore, a CAT5e cable will be enough for Gigabit networking
Score
March 22, 2012 6:59:44 PM

:)  thanks for the reply

i'm having doubts about the reception/signal strength and practicality of the users who are wireless. Will the brick walls be of any disadvantage to me?

running wires to various clients/rigs will be a big hassle for me mate :/  thus the wifi. Forgot to mention that i already own about 70' of cat6 cabling which is hooked up between the modem+desktop only.

so if i go by the asus router route(no pun intended) and have the desktop hardwired to router and the rest wireless - is that doable?

* is there a walkthough on how to update the router to DD-WRT firmware...sorry if i'm posing silly questions but i've heard of DD-WRT and it being a third party firmware but how is it better than the one provided by asus.

** would you like me provide the floor plan for my flat?

*** any tips of router placement? - i'd want to wall mount it as i have a considerable amount of furniture.
Score
Related resources
March 23, 2012 2:10:30 PM

I just realized that you are looking in buying the RT-N53 and not the RT-N56.

the RT-N53 is not very reliable in 5 GHz which does not work to well through brick walls anyway.

you are better off getting a RT-N16 or the RT-N56

I used to configure RT-N12 and found that the DD-WRT firmware was more stable and made the router more reliable than the Asus firmware.

Usually there is a Initial Flashing image that you use the same way you would use a update from Asus when updating your firmware.
Score
March 23, 2012 2:20:00 PM

:) 

so for the brick walls i'd need 5GHz capability on my router, huh?
ASUS RT-N56U - about $130 can i get anything for less but same specs?
Score
March 23, 2012 2:44:38 PM

Quote:
none that looks as cool than that but
:lol:  yeah i'm an architect and am nitpcky with aesthetic hardware.

will spend the cash if and only if its worth it - so we can also look at pricier hardware.

thanks for the help so far! but would you want to see the floor plans...reason i ask is cos i'm in another city and i can get my bro to upload the floor plan and link it for you.

that way you'll understand how many brick walls need to be passed to reach the laptop.
Score
March 23, 2012 3:02:50 PM

any little info can help so upload the floor plan.

usually two wall should not be a problem

best thing to do is place the router in an elevated location central to the flat
Score
March 25, 2012 10:22:36 PM

Okay here you go emerald mate!

Rig 2 in member config, this is located in my room

about distances:
*from the current modem position to my bro's room is less than 50ft, if its a straight shot :) 
**have furniture upto waist level and have the curtain glass with metal grill work inside

*** i apologize for the sketchy layout - my bro was busy and i had to do a mock up quick, while being resourceful :p  and its not to scale - well not the rooms atleast.
**** the modem is hooked to desktop via cat6 cable (maybe 70' of it). modem is from a wifi ISP.

hope these give you all the info you need.
Lemme know if you need anything else.
Score
March 25, 2012 10:48:36 PM

There is no guaranty but you should be okay placing the new router in the same location then the old one.

I usually use my cellphone to survey a location's signal strength anything lower then -80db is bad, -60db to -80db is usable, any -30db to -60db is good
Score
March 25, 2012 10:54:46 PM

Quote:
I usually use my cellphone to survey a location's signal strength anything lower then -80db is bad, -60db to -80db is usable, any -30db to -60db is good
how do i do that? sorry mate :p 

Quote:
There is no guaranty but you should be okay placing the new router in the same location then the old one.
and i f i were to place the router against the wall opposite my folks room+curtain glass, would it be more reliable?

* will hardware mock up change due to my layout, or am I good to go with the RT N-56U?
Score

Best solution

March 25, 2012 11:09:00 PM

you will need a IP enabled phone to be able to check for wireless networks.

no matter where you place the router your room will be okay

the current location might be the most central to accommodate the guest and your brother.

another good spot could be in your room to the left of the door when you exit towards the kitchen.
March 25, 2012 11:17:14 PM

:/ 

Quote:
no matter where you place the router your room will be okay
:)  good to know hehe

Quote:
the current location might be the most central to accommodate the guest and your brother.
okay, i'll try and place the router near where the modem is now.

Quote:
another good spot could be in your room to the left of the door when you exit towards the kitchen.
won't the wash rooms and the walls double the interference?

final question before i close this thread with BA :) 
wired vs wireless? should i keep cat6 or get the buffalo for the desktop?
Score
March 25, 2012 11:37:45 PM

the CAT6 will always be the most reliable connection

the signal does not bounce of the walls it will do a straight path from the router to the computer. Therefore a signal going through a wall in a 90 degree angel will be stronger than a signal entering the wall in a 60 degree angel since it has less wall to travel trough
Score
March 25, 2012 11:53:37 PM

Best answer selected by Lutfij.
Score
March 26, 2012 12:03:00 AM

you've been great help mate!
anything else i need to know before i bid farewell?
RT N-56U or RT N-66
Score
March 26, 2012 6:54:57 AM

The title of this topic has been edited by Pyree
Score
March 26, 2012 12:06:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!