[Solved] Resolution issue with Radeon HD 6850

mike2sull

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Good afternoon everyone,

I'm having a bit of a resolution issue with my graphics card and I've run out of troubleshooting ideas. Hopefully one of you can point me in the right direction with this.

Essentially, the issue is that even though I've set the computer's resolution to 1920x1080 in the settings (I tried both right clicking the desktop & changing it in AMD Catalyst Control Panel), it is only outputting at 1280x720.

Actual Resolution
AMD CCC Settings (VGA)
Control Panel Resolution Setting

So far I have attempted to connect the computer to the monitor via HDMI cable (my standard setup), via VGA cable (using a DVI-VGA converter), and via DVI -> HDMI cable. All three have the same resolution issue.

I connected my monitor (Viewsonic VX2753mh-LED) to a different computer to ensure it does in fact support 1920x1080. The other computer was able to output to the monitor in 1920x1080.

To me, this indicates either a problem with my video card or with the AMD CCC. I've removed AMD drivers twice now and replaced them with the latest version of the drivers from the AMD website and attempted the latest beta version of the drivers. Neither of those seemed to do anything.

Hopefully one of you knowledgeable people has an idea for me. I've submitted a ticket to AMD but they're off for the weekend.

Computer Specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 (4 core ~3.0GHz)
Memory: 8GB
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G45
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
Monitor: Viewsonic VX2753mh-LED

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

mike2sull

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
All,

Problem solved, thankfully without having to talk to tech support.

I determined AMD CCC must be the problem. I uninstalled the CCC and uninstalled the drivers for the Radeon 6850. I then restarted in safe mode used an application called Driver Sweeper to clean up whatever remnants of Catalyst drivers were still installed (this appears to be the important part, since it is the only thing I did differently this time around).

Upon restarting, everything is in beautiful 1920x1080.

Hope this helps someone who's having the same issue as I was!

-Mike

This usually happens when you upgrade the video card and not reinstall the drivers, The drivers will work, heck even the HD 4xxx drivers will work with the new HD 7xxx series if the driver is new enough. If your board had onboard video and it was ATI, then you installed the 6850, that would be the possible cause.

Glad you have fixed it!

mike2sull

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I think it was an issue since I built my computer two years or so ago. I've had intermittent resolution issues when launching games but didn't think anything of it since it always claimed to be 1920x1080. I only noticed and started investigating a bit more when applications refused to accept resolutions above 1280x720. Very odd problem but it works now. So it's all good!