Can hd7950 FLEX run 5 monitors in extended desktop mode?

ravicore

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Hello,

iam considering getting Sapphire hd7950 FLEX edition to run 5 monitor setup in Extended desktop mode. That means im not interested in Eyefinity (Unless it has a mode for extended desktop, overwriting the usual windows display settings) or any other type of shared screen gaming or signal/screen duplication, just extended desktop, nothing too heavy. Lets say i might play a game in windowed mode on one but the rest will be for quite simple applications or video players and such.

The card has 2x DVI, 1x HDMI and 2x miniDP outputs (image) and all my monitors have either DVI or DVI and HDMI inputs.

From what ive read in Sapphires product description, card can run up to 5 monitors and the "FLEX" edition means that its possible to run both of the DVI ports and HDMI port at the same time for a 3 monitor setup unlike with the non-FLEX cards. So if i do that and then use two active miniDP->DVI adapters to connect two more monitors, will the card be able to run all five independently in extended desktop mode? What im worried about is the fact that both Sapphire documentation and the community in general keeps talking about Eyefinity gaming, while im looking for just extending the desktop on all of the five screens, which means they should be able to use different resolutions as well. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any kind of info!

ravicore

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Iam currently having issues with creating a forum account on the official Sapphire forums which made me create this impatient thread here.
But until i can get official information from Sapphire forums or end up buying and learning the hard way and then posting the results in here,
i will appreciate any kind of shared experience or information regarding this matter!

Alex Jones

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013

If you dont care about 1 large desktop (eyefinity) then any card with enough outputs will work for you. You wouldnt need the flex unless you want to merge 3 or more monitors to display as one big one. For example, i have a Gigabyte HD 6770 that has dvi, hdmi, and rgb. My motherboard has the same. i could fill up all my ports with extended desktops and not need another card. Many traders do this.