Upgraded Video Card lost Dual Display

poetrygrl

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Two weeks ago, my Dell XPS 420 experience a BSOD. I was able to determine varius problems which contributed to system instability. My final troubleshooting involved my Radeon 2400 Pro graphics card. Due to the instability of the current CCC for Radeon 2400 Pro, I purchased a Radeon 6670 graphics adapter. I did the following:

1. Installed a secondary hard drive
2. Installed a fresh copy of Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit (includes all the lastest service pack and recommended updates)
3. Installed the drivers and CCC from the CD provided with the adapter
4. Adjusted the resolution on my monitor to 1280 X 1024
5. Verified the adapter was properly seated and checked the connections

Unfortunately, I cannot se my secondary monitor which is a Panasonic th-37ph10uk and doubles as my TV. This is not a TV but a plasma monitor. The VGA port on the 6670 is connected to the KVM and the VDI-I port is connected to the PC port on the Pansonic Here are my system profile:

OS = Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
PC = Dell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q660 2.40GHz 2.39 GHz
RAM = 4GB (was 8 but had to down grade as the RAM went bad during the BSOD fiasco)
KVM = Port Authority 4-port USB and VGA
Monitor = Dell S2330MX Wide Aspect
Monitor = Panasonic th-37ph10uk http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TH37PH10UK.PDF
Keyboard = Dell
Mouse = Dell
USB Hub = Belkin

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

PG :pt1cable:

poetrygrl

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

Hate it when one must reply to their own thread. :pt1cable: After much digging and around and loads of conflicting information, it would appear that the HD Radeon 6670 has a DVI-d port rather than a DVI-i port. As the PC port on my Panasonic is VGA, I require a card that is DVI-d. AMD did a horrible job of providing accurate specs on this box.

poetrygrl

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
:hello: Hi Everyone, I'm back in business. I returned the HD Radeon 6670 and picked up a HD Radeon 5450 and verified the DVI is DVI-i as oppose to DVI-d. I also am back to 8GB RAM

Information for XPS 420 owners

1. The HD Radeon 6670 works well and is did not cause any performance problem that I could detect.
2. The 6670 has a rather high profile but can fit in the case with no problem as long as you release the blue level to the left of the PCI slots.
3. If you are running Win7 64-bit install ALL security updates and Service Pack as the latest version of CCC require specific .NET libraries.
4. You can function off the generic drivers that are installed rather than using the CD that is provided with the card/adapter.
5. Go to the AMD site and download your drivers.
6. To install (as some of the very smart people on this forum mentioned, choose the custome install.
7. Deselect the audio drivers then install.

DVI-i vs. DVI-d vs. VGA

Make sure you check the DVI type on the card you buy based on the output device you plan to connect to.
If the output device is a monitor like mine which has a VGA port then you'll need an adapter that is DVI-i.
If the output device has a DVI-d port, then you will need an adapter that is DVI-d.

Misc Information

1. If you are running Win7 all latest Service Packs and security updates, you may have to reinstall if you uninstall CCC
2. When you uninstall CCC it appears to remove the specific .NET libraries it requires for full functionality
3. HD Radeon 2400 Pro can work with Win7 as long as you avoided the bad package provided by AMD between Jan 15 2013 - March 2, 2013

Have fun everyone and happy computing. Hope you solve your BSOD, mine was quite a pain even though it forced me to tidy up my setup.

:bounce: :sol:

poetrygrl

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
:hello: One last check-in in the event anyone found this thread useful.

I've been up and runnning clean for a week with now BSODs are alerts. I did noticed the following after in CCC install:

1) CCC is a .NET application
2) Even after installing all service packs and hot fixes then installing CCC upon reboot, I receive notification that I needed to reinstall the Service Pack and about three hotfixes
3) For whatever reason CCC is stepping on the .NET files associated with Win7 64-bit SP1 and hotfixes
4) I also received a codex error when I inserted a DVD from Windows Media; I ignored as I use Media Center for DVDs
5) I allowed the conflict to resolve itself and allow the system to download and install and reboot itself
6) I checked to see if any further error messages were associated with SP1 or the hotfixes and there were zero

Hopefully AMD will fix this as I'm sure enough people won't have the experience or patience to troubleshoot this and think they need a new PC.

Enjoying the new video card and improved graphics! :sol:

Latest posts