Integrated video card

gcmerc10

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Hello,
I have a HP Pavillion PC a6000 andthe monitor does not work anymore. There is power but no picture. This computer has a integrated VC. Can I add another card using a open slot inside the computer and will the monitor work if I add it so I can turn off the integrated one.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes, if the integrated video adapter is indeed the problem, you can install a stand alone video card and fix the problem.

Have you verified that the monitor is not the issue (connect to another system)? How about checking the video cable?

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Yes you can do that. But the type of the card depends on your motherboard's compatibility, power supply capabilities, your budget and what type of user you are (i.e. if you play games etc). :)

As far as I can see you computer has 1 PCI-E x16 slot which can be used to plug in a new graphics card. I wasn't able to find anything about its power supply though. The best thing to do is go for a better power supply as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

This should be enough. It is very high quality and it is cheap as well.

gcmerc10

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

the monitor works on my sons lap top not sure of the cable..computer is makinga louder noise than usual. We just use it for home use, Can I buy a inexpense (no big deal) VC to get things up and running again.