Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeeves

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.marketplace,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

If anybody remembers these speakers (and I suspect many do!), can they
cast a light on how to diy repair a distortion on the mid range which
dissappears when you gently touch the cone or papery magnet cover in a
certain spot? (detached or out of alignment. Would also like to aquire
at least one new tweeter. Where do we go for these today (Tandy used
to do cheap end, but not good enough!)in the UK.
Ta

jeeves wrote:
> If anybody remembers these speakers (and I suspect many do!), can they
> cast a light on how to diy repair a distortion on the mid range which
> dissappears when you gently touch the cone or papery magnet cover in a
> certain spot? (detached or out of alignment. Would also like to aquire
> at least one new tweeter. Where do we go for these today (Tandy used
> to do cheap end, but not good enough!)in the UK.
> Ta

do a search for Wilmslow Audio they will have something you need

--
Dave xxxx
www.davewhitter.myby.co.uk

Music is Art - Audio is Engineering
Steam is Fun

jeeves wrote:
> If anybody remembers these speakers (and I suspect many do!), can they
> cast a light on how to diy repair a distortion on the mid range which
> dissappears when you gently touch the cone or papery magnet cover in a
> certain spot? (detached or out of alignment.

turn the driver upside down.

"Ian Molton" <spyro@f2s.com> wrote in message
> jeeves wrote:
> > If anybody remembers these speakers (and I suspect many do!), can they
> > cast a light on how to diy repair a distortion on the mid range which
> > dissappears when you gently touch the cone or papery magnet cover in a
> > certain spot? (detached or out of alignment.
>
> turn the driver upside down.

Ian means: remount the driver in the cabinet rotated 180 degrees.

In article <yOCdnVabotVDEQTcRVn-rg@comcast.com>,
Robert Morein <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:
> > > If anybody remembers these speakers (and I suspect many do!), can they
> > > cast a light on how to diy repair a distortion on the mid range which
> > > dissappears when you gently touch the cone or papery magnet cover in a
> > > certain spot? (detached or out of alignment.
> >
> > turn the driver upside down.

> Ian means: remount the driver in the cabinet rotated 180 degrees.

Easiest to check if this works first by turning the entire speaker upside
down.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Oddjob

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004

"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]

I once had a pair of sandwich speakers that had the same problem. The magnet
can be loosened with a good spanner and then centred so that the cone does
not rub. It's a tricky job as I recall - got to make sure the cone does not
move as you tighten 4 bolts with a good spanner - you will need a 7/16" ring
spanner.

this may help if the drivers are similar to the sandwich.