Black Screen Crashes Please Help!

The LOP

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Hello, this is an issue that has been affecting me for a while, I have tried toubleshooting myself to no avail.
Basically, while gaming my computer will randomly go to a completely black screen. The sound will loops for about 5-10 seconds and then I have to do a hard reboot. I get no error messages and no error report. Sometimes the screen is grey and striped and one time I got a completely white screen. But most of the crashes just result in a black screen however.

I have done some troubleshooting on my own and inlcudes
Setting my RAM profile to XMP
doing some Prime95 tests
stress tests in kombuster to see about my GPU
and diagnostics on my hdd

All of these came back with okay results. no errors on Ram Diagnostics either. These problems only happen while gaming.
Also, my GPU is stock oc'd to about 975 mhz on the core clock and 1200 on the memory clock. The card is a gigabyte 7850 oc edition.

could the stock overclock be causing the issues? I wouldnt think since it is the stock overclock. Could it be PSU issues? I have done tests while monitoring my voltages and none of them appear to go past the safe thresholds.

Specs down here.
Asus P877-v lk LGA motherboard
Gigabyte GV-r785oc-2gd
Corsair enthusiast series tx750 bronze certified 750w power supply
Intel i5-2500 processor with stock cooler
8gb of corsair vengeance ram ddr3 1600
Corsair force CSSD-F115GB 115GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar blue 500gb 7200rpm hdd

jk47

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Not an expert here. But with a previous computer I had a similar issue. While gaming, would get a hard freeze on current frame with sound loop. Also had to hard reboot.

I got it stop for me by doing the following things that you may want to trial and error.

1) IF its happening for a particular game, try underclocking your GPU temporarily
2) Turn off CPU turbo if yours has one
3) Maybe I'm not seeing your GPU in your post, but if its nvidia, uninstall all nvidia stuff from your computer. Re-install, but do advanced installation and un-check the HD audio. (could be audio drivers conflicting, Nvidia audio is not neccessary)

The LOP

Honorable
May 6, 2012

My GPU is a Gigabyte AMD 7850 oc edition, and it isnt happening in any particular game. The crashes happen randomly in any game I play, but only while I am gaming. I can still try underclocking a bit. By what increments do you suggest doing this by? And I dont believe that my CPU has turbo on, in the bios it says that it is running at normal mode.

The LOP

Honorable
May 6, 2012
On another note, I tried underclocking by 10mhz and my game crashed even faster than it did at the full 975 mhz that the card came stock overclocked at. Should I gradually underclock it back to stock settings? like the default 860 mhz that 7850's run at? Or should I be concerned that this issue lies in the power supply. Some tests on kombuster show artifacts on the visuals.