Out of scan range

Teddyjaxn

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
After downloading swkotor online, my computer displayed an out of scan range screen, as soon as I hit play. So I turned my computer off, then back on, and it is still displaying this message, and nothing else.
It reads :eek:ut of scan range
172.4khz/ 1991hz

Anyone know how to fix?

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Could you tell us:
- Where you downloaded swkotor from - torrent?....if yes then unfortunately - as you will already know - you're up the proverbial creek. If not.......
- Are you sure the download was completed?
- can you give more info about 'out of scan range'?
- do you have a recent backup image in case you need to restore?
- When you turn the PC back on does it appear to take the usual boot time before displaying the message - or does it happen much faster?
- I take it you can't get away from this message (e.g. crtl/alt/del)?

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

More info would definitely help. I installed the game that gave you issues through steam just now and played for a few minutes with no problems. However, I did notice something.. in the screen resolution menu there were resolutions listed with a 75hz refresh rate, which I am fairly certain my monitor does not support. Picking one of those resolutions may result in a crash of the game for some.

Edit: I went back and tried the 75Hz refresh rate and the only thing that happened was that I lost my display scaling (letterbox) so apparently my monitor DOES support 75hz, and I have just never seen that option in a game before. Anyway.. I have seen NOTHING in the settings ingame that could cause your issue, however the main .cfg file in the install directory has ALOT of settings and could cause issues if you mess with that not knowing what you are doing and try to start the game afterwards.

Teddyjaxn

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
For Mesab66,
-From their website
-Yes
-It pops up as a black screen with a small box in the middle that says the information -provided.
-I have no clue
-Normal time
-And correct
And I cannot change any settings because as soon as I start my computer, it goes to a black screen, displays the message, and I cannot get out of it.

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
From their website? From who's website? There is no download for KOTOR from Bioware or LucasArts, the developers. Are you sure we are talking about Star Wars: KNIGHTS OF The Old Republic and not Star Wars: THE OLD REPUBLIC?

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Out of scan range means your graphics card is supplying a signal that your monitor can't handle. Most likely, in this case, a refresh rate that is not 60hz (if you are sending this to a LCD monitor). Also, this error can occur when you try to send it a resolution range, like one too low or too high.

You need to change your graphics adapter's output back to a range that your monitor can handle.

What monitor do you have?

Teddyjaxn

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
The biggest problem is that I can't do anything on the computer, the window pops up in the middle of the screen almost as soon as the computer starts up, and the rest of the screen goes black.