Graphics card won't do anything in new build - previously worked

yousefk

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hey everyone,

I seem to be having a very strange problem. I just built a new comp for the first time, but kept the GPU from my old one. It's a GTX 680 which I bought a few months ago and it was running perfectly. In the new build, I put everything together and started it up. Everything worked, including the GPU. I turned it off and restarted later, but the GPU would output anything! I looked and it seemed to be completely dead. The fans did not spin at all.

I tried 2 different slots, and same thing - No video output, fans did not spin. I tried all 4 PCIe power plugs that my PSU had, but still nothing.

The whole time I noticed that the PCIe slot contact pins didn't seem to go in all the way, and it never "latched" or "clicked in". Keep in mind, however, it was also like this when the GPU worked.

There are 3 things that could be wrong, but all seem to have evidence that disprove them.

Broken PCIe slots -
I tried a shitty very old gpu that I had laying around, and the fans did spin, but I couldn't test video out since my monitor is 2560x1440 which it didn't support. The old GPU also didn't require external power so I have no way of knowing whether the PSU was defunct.

This GPU also didn't "go in all the way" leading me to believe that it either doesn't matter or isn't supposed to go in the all the way into the slot.

This points to inconclusive results, but I did try 2 PCIe slots and neither worked.

Defunct PSU -
It still boots up into windows with the onboard graphics and HDMI cable, so I doubt it. I also tried all 4 PCIe power cables my GPU had so it couldn't be that. The PSU is also an 850w corsair enthusiast. I highly doubt it's a PSU issue.

Dead GPU -
If the GPU was dead, wouldn't fans still spin? Also, why would it just suddenly randomly die like it did?

So what do you think about this?

TL;DR: The motherboard is seated correctly and the GPU has room to go in the slot further, but it does not. Everything else works perfectly (onboard graphics), but the GPU seems to be completely dead. The GPU worked once in the build before it started doing this. No fans spin, no video is put out.

Pics: imgur.com/a/hTyz6
(I realize power isn't plugged into the GPU. I quickly put it in to take a shot which is why it is not. When trying it, the power was plugged into the GPU)

SPECS:
Case: Cooler Master CMSTORM Enforcer
MoBo: Asus Sabertooth Z77
GPU: GTX 680
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX850
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600, stock clock @ 3.4 Ghz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
HDD: 128GB Crucial M4 SSD

yousefk

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

First, thanks for answering!

The metal part where the DVI/HDMI/etc. connections are? That does slip perfectly between the MoBo and case, and there aren't any obstacles outside of the case.

I can't find any obstacles stopping it from going in completely except the PCIe slot itself, leading me to believe it was designed that way. But with my old comp/mobo it would "latch in" with that latch thing.

I never tried it on 2 motherboards, but on 2 different slots on the same motherboard.

By high capacitor, do you mean the Mobo, PSU, or GPU? Because an old GPU seems to run fine (i'll test video out with an old monitor right now) so it seems like either a card or PSU issue.

high cap on the board. if it doesn't fit the slot something must be wrong. did you try opening or sliding or pulling the little "lever" thing so it doesn't make contact with the "latch" on the card before you tried slipping the card in the slot?

and you don't have a hold down screw in place and didn't notice it? ( under card's metal part ) or the flap isn't bent?