Computer slowing down network

vexysery

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Hi there!
I'm currently on my home network, which used to consist of a router with wifi and all had a stable connection. However after leaving for university, i have come back to find that they are using these : (it now says i am connected via LAN) - i am running via a ''powerline network'' apparantly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00472MMC6/ref=asc_df_B00472MMC67359002?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B00472MMC6

The router is still there and running, however the wifi is turned off (it can't come back on, despite me knowing this would fix all of my issues...)

However I believe my dad's internet is hardwired to the router, which is where the problem lies. When his pc is off, the internet is fine, however when he turns it on the internet becomes VERY intermittant for everyone except for him. When downloading a file it cuts down to 40-50kbps (not much slower than it usually is), but drops out every half a second... This makes web browsing impossible, let alone anything else.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light over this situation as it really is causing problems for me, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

umm@gumma

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

Highly recommend scanning for malware; ie google- rkill, malwarebytes, superantispyware, and move on from there. You'll find the right resources once you start searching. If everything comes back clean, look into a program called wireshark. It captures nework traffic for you (or your helper) to analyze.

vexysery

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Hi there, thanks for your reply :)
I'm 99% sure malware isn't the cause of this problem but i'm going to give that wireshark program a shot when the net drops out (inevitably) later tonight and will post my results up here!

Thanks again!