Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrade to GTX 680 Classified from this?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 3, 2013 10:28:14 PM

I have aEVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB 02G-P4-2678-KR. I play games like Skyrim and Sims 3. Both titles are heavely modded and someone told me to get a card with more Vram. How much of an upgrade/improvement would i be doing here getting a GTX 680 Classified from this model? And is it worth it? I just wanna get a more powerful card. Any help appreciated. Thanks. :) 
March 3, 2013 10:31:34 PM

I forgot to mention, i do have the 2GB limit off Skyrim so that it would do like 4 but supposely that didn't mean it would use the onboard memory on your board, i think it meant Vram too but my card only has 2GB so i don't even think that's doing anything. As for sims 3, it still stutters on me here and there because i have alot of mods in it (Root folder is almost 17GB LOL) but yeah...

Best solution

March 3, 2013 10:37:40 PM

The 4GB vRAM is good amount so you should be fine. If all you need is more VRAM then just grab a different GTX 670 that has 4GB vRAM instead of GTX 680 since you are going to spend a lot of money on it. And if your goal is to get a powerful that has headroom for future games then look around for an AMD Radeon 7970, it comes with 3GB vRAM, wider bus at 384-bit and sells for pretty much the same price as GTX 670 but outperforms GTX 670 and 680 due to a lot of OC room. Get a Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 and you should be good to go. OR MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, PowerColour and avoid XFX due to horrible cooling and insane coil whine. Cheers!
Related resources
March 3, 2013 10:40:37 PM

Oh my gosh, you know, i used to have a XFX and you're right! It was TERRIBLE. Though at the age of just 2 and a half months, my little sister spilled Coffee all over my tower and got all over the card voiding it's warrenty instantly. <.< a price i learned to never place liquids on top of your Tower. Defintely will look into those and see. I was already leaning to spend 650'ish on an upgrade. I just want a stronger card than this thing. :) 
March 3, 2013 10:55:04 PM

Angelz said:
Oh my gosh, you know, i used to have a XFX and you're right! It was TERRIBLE. Though at the age of just 2 and a half months, my little sister spilled Coffee all over my tower and got all over the card voiding it's warrenty instantly. <.< a price i learned to never place liquids on top of your Tower. Defintely will look into those and see. I was already leaning to spend 650'ish on an upgrade. I just want a stronger card than this thing. :) 

Sorry to hear about your car. I have the Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 and they are not voltage locked. They can OC like crazy and handle everything I throw at them. I had XFX and I had to return it due to the amount of artifacting and noise even during web browsing. So get the same Sapphire like me, don't bother about the Vapor-X because what I have run quiet, cooler and fast. You will save lots of money going the AMD route atm.
March 3, 2013 10:56:42 PM

It's okay.. It took days to get over that. It was a 7950 XFX DD version. I was just about to ask you about that. All i can find is Vapor X where i look. I can't seem to find the one you have. O.o
March 3, 2013 11:08:03 PM

Where are you from?
March 3, 2013 11:09:05 PM

Angelz said:
It's okay.. It took days to get over that. It was a 7950 XFX DD version. I was just about to ask you about that. All i can find is Vapor X where i look. I can't seem to find the one you have. O.o

Here's the same Sapphire that I have. I got mine when it was 394.99 with rebates but at this price, it's worth it.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=79472&vpn=11197-11-40...
March 3, 2013 11:25:25 PM

I'm from Florida, but i moved up to Springfield Mass last year. I hate it here.. ALOOT. So we'll be moving again this year soon elsewhere.
March 3, 2013 11:27:17 PM

I tried clicking on the link but it took me to their home page instead. lol.
March 3, 2013 11:30:50 PM

Nevermind. I got it. Thank you very much. I'll look into this. I'm still leaning toward another Nvidia EVGA though so it's still a debate for me. ^^
March 3, 2013 11:31:25 PM

Best answer selected by Angelz.
March 3, 2013 11:36:44 PM

Just to add my two cents here, benchmark after benchmark from many tech sites have proven that more VRAM does not do much, even at high resolutions and high AA and detail settings...in single monitor applications. If you are running tri-monitor, more VRAM has been proven to be worth the extra money.

Otherwise, if you are using a single monitor, you are wasting your money on a 4GB card. Skyrim with texture mods is about the only thing that will show a difference between 2GB & 4GB at your typical main stream 1920x1080 resolution. And if you do decide to "invest" in a 4GB card for future games, chances are based on history trends that a next generation card will come out before a future game that would tax that card...again, depending on your application of course.

And I would always go with EVGA because of their awesome customer support and warranty backing.
March 3, 2013 11:46:56 PM

Angelz said:
Nevermind. I got it. Thank you very much. I'll look into this. I'm still leaning toward another Nvidia EVGA though so it's still a debate for me. ^^

You're welcome. I hope you find the right card for yourself. I am in Canada and love it here.
March 3, 2013 11:47:41 PM

Angelz said:
I'm from Florida, but i moved up to Springfield Mass last year. I hate it here.. ALOOT. So we'll be moving again this year soon elsewhere.

Florida is nice place.. I should be there in the summer. I can't wait. I hope you find a better place that suits your needs.
March 3, 2013 11:50:15 PM

10tacle said:
Just to add my two cents here, benchmark after benchmark from many tech sites have proven that more VRAM does not do much, even at high resolutions and high AA and detail settings...in single monitor applications. If you are running tri-monitor, more VRAM has been proven to be worth the extra money.

Otherwise, if you are using a single monitor, you are wasting your money on a 4GB card. Skyrim with texture mods is about the only thing that will show a difference between 2GB & 4GB at your typical main stream 1920x1080 resolution. And if you do decide to "invest" in a 4GB card for future games, chances are based on history trends that a next generation card will come out before a future game that would tax that card...again, depending on your application of course.

And I would always go with EVGA because of their awesome customer support and warranty backing.

the OP said he/she plays Skyrim and Sims 3 which are heavily modified hence my suggestion for a 3GB vRAM being the sweet spot between 2-4GB vRAM and also the pricing for cards. And I am with you when it comes to vendors, I tip my hat to eVGA, ASUS or Sapphire all the time along with HIS but the other 3 I mentioned have astounding CS and products.
!