Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Best Graphics Card for the Money

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 3, 2013 10:57:25 PM

I am horribly torn between the HD 7950, HD 7870, and the gtx 660 ti. I am tempted to pay the extra hundred for the 7950 and 660 ti, but is it really worth it? The most graphic intensive games I am going to play are Crysis 3, metro last light, and Rome 2 total war. I am fine with running a little under max settings, but I also want to be future proof so that I don't have to make a purchase for another maybe 3 years? I don't know if that seems realistic. Also, the price for the 7950 recently rose by $44, so that kind of annoyed me. I already have all the other parts figured out, this is really the only thing bothering me now. This will be on an i5 3570k, 8 gb corsair RAM, Corsair builder series 750 watt power supply, CM HAF 912 case, blahdyblahblah :pt1cable: 

More about : graphics card money

a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2013 11:07:25 PM

toastybatch565 said:
I am horribly torn between the HD 7950, HD 7870, and the gtx 660 ti. I am tempted to pay the extra hundred for the 7950 and 660 ti, but is it really worth it? The most graphic intensive games I am going to play are Crysis 3, metro last light, and Rome 2 total war. I am fine with running a little under max settings, but I also want to be future proof so that I don't have to make a purchase for another maybe 3 years? I don't know if that seems realistic. Also, the price for the 7950 recently rose by $44, so that kind of annoyed me. I already have all the other parts figured out, this is really the only thing bothering me now. This will be on an i5 3570k, 8 gb corsair RAM, Corsair builder series 750 watt power supply, CM HAF 912 case, blahdyblahblah :pt1cable: 


Get the 7950, it comes with free games, more futureproof and has good amount of vRAM and 384-bit bus and can OC to reach the levels of 7970. Also, a lot cheaper than 660ti. Yes it is worth it. Crysis 3 and Metro LL will be graphic hungry and 2GB vRAM won't cut it.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2013 11:10:08 PM

a 7870 LE is a good choice as well
Score
0
Related resources
March 3, 2013 11:19:02 PM

hero1 said:
Get the 7950, it comes with free games, more futureproof and has good amount of vRAM and 384-bit bus and can OC to reach the levels of 7970. Also, a lot cheaper than 660ti. Yes it is worth it. Crysis 3 and Metro LL will be graphic hungry and 2GB vRAM won't cut it.

I guess I will be going with the 7950, but can the 7870 overclock to be anything close to the 7950?
Score
0
March 3, 2013 11:21:28 PM

hero1 said:
Get the 7950, it comes with free games, more futureproof and has good amount of vRAM and 384-bit bus and can OC to reach the levels of 7970. Also, a lot cheaper than 660ti. Yes it is worth it. Crysis 3 and Metro LL will be graphic hungry and 2GB vRAM won't cut it.

And daswilhelm brought up a good graphics card. I read that it is a mere 1% worse than the 7950 but it costs much less. What about that?
Score
0
Anonymous
March 3, 2013 11:53:29 PM

7950 all the way since you brought up overclocking the 7950 can actually overclock beyond gtx 680 performance.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2013 12:04:43 AM

if you are going to OC the 1950 is a good way to go (if you get one with a decent cooler), if no OC, the 7870 LE is the best for the money, imo.
Score
0
March 4, 2013 6:33:45 PM

Anonymous said:
7950 all the way since you brought up overclocking the 7950 can actually overclock beyond gtx 680 performance.

Yes, I will probably overclock the 7950. So it seems that I will go with the 7950.
Score
0
March 4, 2013 6:35:13 PM

daswilhelm said:
if you are going to OC the 1950 is a good way to go (if you get one with a decent cooler), if no OC, the 7870 LE is the best for the money, imo.

Assuming you meant 7950, then yes I will overclock it. The cooler I will be getting is the Hyper 212 Evo, so there shouldn't be a problem.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2013 6:54:22 PM

yes i did mean the 7950 sorry, but the cooler you mentioned is a cpu cooler. when purchasing your 7950, purchase one that comes with a decent cooler (for the gpu OC).
Score
0
March 4, 2013 11:54:40 PM

daswilhelm said:
yes i did mean the 7950 sorry, but the cooler you mentioned is a cpu cooler. when purchasing your 7950, purchase one that comes with a decent cooler (for the gpu OC).

Oh right you mean a graphics card that comes with those fans on them. I will probably be getting the gigabyte 7950 which has 3 fans on it.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2013 12:20:45 AM

the windforce, thats a decent cooler.
Score
0
March 5, 2013 8:48:59 PM

daswilhelm said:
the windforce, thats a decent cooler.

Oh my goodness they raised the price of the Gigabyte 7950 by $50 and every other one by 20. Would the MSI 7950 with TWIN FROZR be fine for overclocking?
Score
0

Best solution

a c 595 U Graphics card
March 5, 2013 11:12:25 PM

toastybatch565 said:
thats a very useful chart. It seems that the 7870 performs better for the money than the 7950, which sucks me back into the conflict again.

You also have to balance it off with the performance chart those figures are based on. it does seem like you don't lose much with the 7870, if you are on a budget.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_T...



I would also do a thorough review on your own, there is more to it than merely FPS to Cost ratios. Different cards will perform better in different games. Frame latency issues have been the subject of recent reports and should be taken into account. There are significant differences in the features of an Nvidia card versus an AMD card, PhysX, etc.

For example, here is an interesting review about drivers that's worth checking out:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/03/04/2012_amd_nvid...
Share
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2013 11:47:02 PM

toastybatch565 said:
Oh my goodness they raised the price of the Gigabyte 7950 by $50 and every other one by 20. Would the MSI 7950 with TWIN FROZR be fine for overclocking?


im not a big MSI fan. i do like this sapphire card, decent cooler, with boost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
0
March 6, 2013 6:07:42 PM

17seconds said:
You also have to balance it off with the performance chart those figures are based on. it does seem like you don't lose much with the 7870, if you are on a budget.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_T...
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan/images/perfrel_1920.gif


I would also do a thorough review on your own, there is more to it than merely FPS to Cost ratios. Different cards will perform better in different games. Frame latency issues have been the subject of recent reports and should be taken into account. There are significant differences in the features of an Nvidia card versus an AMD card, PhysX, etc.

For example, here is an interesting review about drivers that's worth checking out:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/03/04/2012_amd_nvid...

Yes, I remember I was leaning toward the nVidia GPU because I had seen a test where the 660 ti out performed the 7950 in every game in terms of frame latency. The thing is that AMD is cooperating with game companies that make crysis, hitman, bioshock, etc, all some of my favorite games, so I feel as though AMD would be a better choice. Also, I feel as though Physx isn't necessary yet and by the time its used in most games, I will probably need a new GPU anyways. Any thoughts?
Score
0
a c 595 U Graphics card
March 6, 2013 6:45:41 PM

toastybatch565 said:
Yes, I remember I was leaning toward the nVidia GPU because I had seen a test where the 660 ti out performed the 7950 in every game in terms of frame latency. The thing is that AMD is cooperating with game companies that make crysis, hitman, bioshock, etc, all some of my favorite games, so I feel as though AMD would be a better choice. Also, I feel as though Physx isn't necessary yet and by the time its used in most games, I will probably need a new GPU anyways. Any thoughts?

Here is a list of current and upcoming PhysX games. See if any of those are of interest to you. I'm looking forward to Hawken, Metro Last Light, Arma III, and Lost Planet 3. I still don't have Borderlands 2 yet either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_hardwar...
Score
0
March 6, 2013 10:57:37 PM

17seconds said:
Here is a list of current and upcoming PhysX games. See if any of those are of interest to you. I'm looking forward to Hawken, Metro Last Light, Arma III, and Lost Planet 3. I still don't have Borderlands 2 yet either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_hardwar...

I am looking forward to metro last light, and seeing how it is already a georgious game, it will probably be almost real with the physx. But the 7950 dropped back to 300, same as the 660 ti. I will probably go with one of those two and look into some more benchmarks. I know the 7950 is said to have the latency issues, but it also has some of those free games like Crysis 3 and Hitman Absolution and Bioshock Infinite. Hmmm...
Score
0
March 10, 2013 5:06:21 PM

I will be going with the 7950 due to its overclocking capabilities.
Score
0
March 10, 2013 5:06:21 PM

I will be going with the 7950 due to its overclocking capabilities.
Score
0
March 10, 2013 5:10:23 PM

As for a brand, i can recommend one with the Vapor-x coolor from Sapphire, they also have an OC with Boost version.
Score
0
March 10, 2013 5:10:36 PM

Best answer selected by toastybatch565.
Score
0
March 10, 2013 10:49:46 PM

Andq1 said:
As for a brand, i can recommend one with the Vapor-x coolor from Sapphire, they also have an OC with Boost version.

Yes I am actually getting the sapphire one.
Score
0
March 10, 2013 11:20:57 PM

I was once in the same predicment as you. 7870 xt or 7950. I went with the 7950 because 1. It was $290 and 2. I was going to buy Crysis 3 anyways, so instead of spending $250 on the 7870 xt and $60 on Crysis 3, I saved myself $20.
Score
0
March 11, 2013 2:53:45 PM

AirForceBrat said:
I was once in the same predicment as you. 7870 xt or 7950. I went with the 7950 because 1. It was $290 and 2. I was going to buy Crysis 3 anyways, so instead of spending $250 on the 7870 xt and $60 on Crysis 3, I saved myself $20.


Yes that is the biggest reason why. Crysis 3 AND boishock infinite!? That's 120 bucks worth of free stuff.
Score
0
!