Sign in with
Your question

HDMI to hdtv nvidia or intel

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 4, 2013 12:33:19 AM

Hi,
I have just purchased a lenovo Y580 and am very hapy with it, for the price it is a BEAST!
nvidia 660m & i7 quad :) 
The problem is I game through a HDMI cable to a hdtv and the fps drops alot. Not connected to hdmi I'm geeting 60+ fps but connected it wont run above 20fps. Im only running the hdtv screen (not splitting the signal) and there is still some lag. I've tried overclocking but there is still no change. All I can think of is that optimus is using the intel 4000 card for the hdmi and not nvidia? That would explain the crappy fps.. How can i make the nvidia card run the hdmi? and if not can i disable optimus/ intel chip somehow? maybe in the bios?
Any help or instrucyions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

More about : hdmi hdtv nvidia intel

March 4, 2013 1:06:13 AM

You're correct. The HDMI is controlled by the integrated GPU and not affected by the Nvida graphics. As the HDMI ports are physically soldered to and managed by the intel 4000 graphics it is not going to be possible to simply make some kind of software change to have control handed over to your nvida card.

You should be looking at running most newer games on a mid range resolution and with low or medium graphics settings. Careful with the AA as that is going to chew through your FPS in a huge hurry.

The good news, though, is that you should be able to play new games for a couple years to come on your system.
March 4, 2013 2:27:40 AM

Thanks Jonnyevil, good and bad news eh.. always the way ;) 

Is switching from HDMI to VGA going to solve my fps issue? other than reducing the graphics quality to play on the HDMI. A new problem then arises that I will never use the gtx 660m if I continue to game through HDMI? the nvidia card was one of the main reason I purchased the laptop.. Seems like a waste..

If VGA is an option will the picture quality suffer much? Am I better off using HDMI on lower settings of VGA on higher settings?

Thanks.
Related resources
March 4, 2013 2:52:47 AM

Ok so I'm taking my comments back. I was wrong. the gtx 660m does control the HDMI. My bad...

Then it always comes down to the basics: Screen resolution, the game you are playing, video settings, weather the game you are playing is cpu or gpu intensive....it goes on and on.

Best thing I can suggest is to play your game at the lowest possible settings and see what your fps are. Experiment by adding more visuals slowly and retest fps. Do that until you find the balance between performance and visual quality that you can live with.

Some settings have a greater impact on fps then others. AA for instance, depending on what kind you choose, can have dramatic impacts on fps and performance.

At the end of the day though there is no single solution to fps problems. New games are pigs and it's only going to get worse.

If you haven't already looked at it, here's your gpu specs:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-g...

and sorry for my previous poor information.

March 4, 2013 3:25:36 AM

I'm glad the 660m does support the HDMI, thanks for the correction.. I was worried there for a bit.. ;) 

I'm currently playing Spec Ops The Line and getting 60+ fps with everything maxed out, which is awesome (not HDMI). As soon as I plug the cable in my fps drops to 20ish.

What could be causing this?
Do I need to lower the settings because of HDMI? or is Intel 4000 running and I need to change it over to nvidia now that I know nvida supports HDMI?

Sorry if my qeustions are sort of reptitive, I'm just a bit confused...

Thanks so much for your help/ time so far :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2013 3:30:37 AM

If you have the stock screen of 1366x768, and connect to a 1080p screen you are pushing twice as many pixels. FPS will plummet. Turn down the settings.

If you have the upgraded 1080p screen then there should be no difference, but I highly doubt that's the case. Mobile GPUs are much weaker and a 660M could not drive 1080p on very high settings.
March 4, 2013 4:21:38 AM

Im running the stock screen into a 720p hdtv. I'll try it on lower settings and resolution.

Thanks guys :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2013 4:34:15 AM

stryker7 said:
Im running the stock screen into a 720p hdtv. I'll try it on lower settings and resolution.

Thanks guys :) 

720p is 1366x768. So if the TV and the screen are the same resolution you should see NO difference in FPS. Which means something screwy is up.
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2013 5:27:58 AM

My 720p TV emulates 1080p and it tells connected computers that it is 1080p, so I could see having this same problem. Make sure your resolution is 720p when connected.

It's not trying to run BOTH monitors at the same time, is it? Because obviously that would be a problem.
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2013 9:47:41 AM

good point. Maybe the TV is lying to the computer too lol
March 4, 2013 8:57:33 PM

I'm only running the hdtv as the monitor, laptop screen is off. It does however say 1080p in the corner of the hdtv when i connect the HDMI cable.. Wierd seeing as its a 720p tv. Maybe it is trying to emulate a 1080p. How do I stop that from happening? TV is a Panansonic Vieraso is it a settings option on the tv or is it automated?

Also, when I open the nvidia control panel there are 3d settings but no video settings. In the 3d settings all the ports are listed under intel 4000 picture, only the vga is under the nvidia pic. Does this mean that the Lenovo have only made HDMI accessable from the intel chip? Or can this be changed?

Thanks.
March 4, 2013 11:50:57 PM

Adjusting the graphics quality for a game is not inceasing my fps at all, bit weird? The only thing that gets me to aronud 35-40fps is adjusting the resolution. Same fps on 'very low' as on 'very high'..
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2013 4:22:11 AM

The TV is reporting it's max resolution is 1080p, so windows is defaulting to that. You would need to set the screen resolution in the monitor/display properties for windows to 1280x720 or 1366x768 (whichever it is natively). Then the max resolution option in the game should drop to that number as well and it should work.

If you want to see what adapter is controlling the monitor, you can go into device manager. Find your TV, right click, properties and in the general tab it will say "location: Geforce GTX" or whatever. If it says intel, then you probably are screwed, but I suspect it's going to be your 3D card.

You may also have a Virtu lucidlogix driver. Some do, some don't. If so, you can run 3D acceleration from the 3D card through the intel HD.

The 1080p thing is for support on some 1080p only devices so they still work on 720p TV, but it can confuse computers.
March 6, 2013 10:50:25 AM

It does say 'location on intel 4000' and I cant find a way to change it anywhere..
Looks like I'm screwed. Maybe lenovo can fix this with a driver update in future? or the first comment was right and Ill only ever be able to HDMI through the intel chip.

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2013 2:55:15 PM

See if you can find a LucidLogix Virtu driver/install for your laptop. If so, you can "virtualize" your Geforce through the Intel 4000 and get about 95% of native Nvidia performance.
December 30, 2013 9:33:44 PM

I don't mean to necro a rather old thread but I have an issue similar to the OP's. Virtu MVP does in fact help to "virtualize" 660m via HDMI, which is controlled by intel HD 4000. I used it for while (was able to get the trial version, and reinstalled when it 'expired' XD) and it provided a nice FPS boost in my games (skyrim & dota 2 & some others) which went beyond 60 FPS with VSYNC ON.

The only downfall to it was you can't play some games with "Hyperformance" and its VSYNC on. Skyrim downright stutters nonstop with either of them on. When I was using it I had both their "performance" options (hyperformance and vsync) off and used it mainly to virtualize 660m for HDMI since you do receive some performance/resource loss since it's controlled by integrated.

The only reason I'm not using it right now is because I've been playing with some vbios mods for the 660m going back and forth between 1.125 V, 1.150 V, 1.175 V and doing some heavy overclocking. With virtu MVP on while doing these gave me some glitchy errors and went away when I uninstalled. It was probably due to something related to my clocks, but to be safe I'm trying to get the absolute highest stable clocks before I start Fing with this again.

For those who have the Y580 (like me) and are curious/unaware, here are some useful links:

'Master' GTX 6xx Kepler GPU overclocking guide: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphic...
Credit to Mobius 1

Unlocked bios (careful!): http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2260-lenovo-y58...
Credit to svl7

vBIOS mods (for higher 660m voltage and again, BE CAREFUL): http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3926-gtx-660m-y...
Credit to ErYani
NOTE: corresponding unlocked BIOS version is required prior to flashing
!