G

I have three PC133 sdram memory modules at present and want to upgrade my motherboard.

The mobo in question is an MSI K7N420 Pro ATX socket A. The spec sheet says it supports three DDR modules, can I use my old PC 133 modules in this board?

Thanks

Kevin

Nope.

Your memory sticks are 168-pin. DDR memory sticks are 184-pin.

If you're determind to get the above mobo, then you'll have to get DDR. One other option is to get a mobo which supports both types of RAM. You can only use one type at a time, but it may be an option until you can afford DDR RAM.

The ECS (Elitegroup) K7S5A supports 2 x SDR or 2 x DDR sticks, and is a nice cheap mobo which will run the socket A (AMD Tbird & XP) series of CPU's.

The Asus TUA266 supports 3 x SDR or 2 x DDR sticks. This mobo is a socket 370 platform (Intel PIII, Tualatin & Celeron).

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Other Socket A boards that support SDRAM and DDR-SDRAM:
Asus A7A266
Jetway's KT266 board

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Do you know of a mobo which supports:

Socket 370 FCPGA/FCPGA2
SDR/DDR or just DDR
ATA/133 RAID

In essence a TUA266 with RAID or a GA-7DXR+ for a S370 platform.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

Hmmm. I suppose. It means more cash though. Perhaps I should wait. Maybe a mob will emerge with these qualities.

A similar one with dual CPU's would also be cool. :smile:

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Maybe a mob will emerge with these qualities.
Dream on... :tongue:

Seriously, I really don't think mobo manus are going to introduce a new RAID mobo for a dead platform only good for Celerons (Socket 370). With the new P4-based celerons coming out soon, Socket 370 will be no more. Many electronics vendors don't even bother to carry the new - soon to be extinct - PIIIs.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.