SLI & Full Screen Borderless Windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasma-visuals

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I can't seem to get anyone to actually clarify that this works.

I play EVE online with 3 different accounts one on each of my 3 screens in windowed borderless at 1920x1080.

I have a 560ti. This is quite stressful for it.

I can get hold of another 560ti very cheaply.

Will SLI work with what I'm doing?
If it does how big will the improvement be?

Solution
The 560Ti supports SLI. Adding a second one will help with multiple displays. I would guess you could see up to a 50% improvement in video performance.

What are the specs for your overall system?

plasma-visuals

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
See thats intresting because I've read in a lot of places that SLI wont let you have applications run on multiple monitors.

Specs:

GPU - Asus 560ti Direct CU II Overclocked edition.
Mobo - Asus P7P55D
CPU - Intel 750 i5 2.6Ghz (lynnfield)
RAM - 8GB of DDR3 (Mixed sticks half are dominater corsair and half are mushkin)
PSU - TX650W Corsair
I'm assuming HDD's are irrelevant but I have 4 mechanical and 1 SSD.

Its old. Like 5 years or more now. Does the job though.

plasma-visuals

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

I have a 9800GT plugged in as a display adapter.

plasma-visuals

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

So in short its useless for what I want. The second 560 would just be a display adapter.

4745454b

Titan
Might be an issue with running out of Vram. 1GB doesn't go very far when you have two games running on it. Whats the rest of your system like seeing as you were "hiding" a 9800GT? You might need more CPU power or RAM.

I'm tempted to tell you to sell your 560 and 9800GT and with the money you were going to use to get the new 560 to get a single better card. The new 6 series from NVidia will run three screens. Maybe get a 660TI?

plasma-visuals

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah I think that seems to be the way it needs to go.
I'd probably get a 7950 just because of the price against performance. I'm also comfortable with overclocking.
Was really just looking for a cheaper / less hassle solution.
Thanks for the advice.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Actually, I would suspect that the 9800GT is causing part of the problem when spreading the game across 3 displays and 2 display adapters. A single, more capable GPU that could handle all 3 displays would certainly help. 2 560Tis would likely be an improvement as well, even is used independently and not in SLI mode.

I never tried SLI, but I once had a Crossfire setup and there was indeed a limitation about windowed gaming. The second card would only kick in if the game was running
at real fullscreen mode.

From some light reading, I believe it only applies to AMD cards.

It still applies to both.

klepp0906

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013

I wish. Many of us have been/are in the same boat. I'm not sure if they refuse to allow it for some absurd reason, if its technologiclaly impossible, or if its possible yet they dont fix it for some absurd reason.

I built a monster pc for ffxiv and I get to use 1 of my 4 titans due to this. RE TARD ED.

klepp0906

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013

he isnt asking if it supports SLI. He's asking if it works while windowed which it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.