Low FPS with GTX 560

arxspor

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
As of late i've been getting very low FPS on all higher demanding games, even some less taxing games are causing the card a lot of trouble. I recently went on BF3 again and got a very low 20FPS compared to my usual 90+, could this be a fault in the hardware?
My specs are shown below:
OnrKHLn.png

fkr

Splendid
another thing to look at is to open up your msi afterburner or whatever you use and check your card for slowdown. Going through allot of different forums lately and I have been noticing a few people including myself on select games where the 560 cards do a self throttling regardless of heat to only half of their base max clock. So my 560 sits at 950Mhz and in the middle of a game it will just downclock to 405Mhz. I keep my evga precision program open on a second screen and there does not seem to be a reason as to why it happens the card never gets that hot.

arxspor

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

Ah i see, well i did have a few things open but nothing really taxing. I'll check to see if the CPU fan is operating properly or if it in need of thermal paste. If this doesn't fix it i will be back.

arxspor

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Well i'm back again, I have applied some new thermal paste and am now getting around 50C idly and over 60C when playing games. This has not changed the performance at all really, so if anyone has got any other things for me to try please speak up. Thank you.

arxspor

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

Well even if it is, it's not to do with the temperature. I got my friend with the exact same processor and Graphics card to test his and he gets way better FPS with around the same temperatures as i do. Also the heatsink is built onto the fan, it can't get any tighter on top of the the processor.

4745454b

Titan
You can have the same temps but not the same processing power due to thermal throttling. The "heatsink is built onto the fan" might be true, but if you didn't tighten it down all the way it might not be "clamping" onto the CPU as it should. I also remembered that using to much TIM can cause high temps. TIM has better thermal transfer properties then air, but still not as good as metal. You only need a really thin layer, about as think as a sheet of paper. (or less...)