HELP PLEASE! URGENT! Oc'ing gone wrong?!?!?!

dbrs94

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
I started overclocking following this guide:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747606p2.html

I have core 2 duo e8400 @3.0ghz

I tried increasing the voltage, everything seemed right!

I didnt surpass recommended voltages, except i went a tiny bit over on fsb voltage - about 1.3 or something like that.

Now my computer wont even boot! everything is running, but it wont run! I cant get into the BIOS or anything!

PLEASE HELP PLEASEEEE I am really freaking out!!!

thanks - also its my first time, and i dont have a heatsink.
DID I FRY MY CPU>?? :'(

COLGeek

Cybernaut
No heatsink on is very bad, but likely the system shutdown before it damaged the CPU itself. Put the heatsink on.

While you are inside the case installing the heatsink (make sure you unplug all power sources first, like the power cord, monitor, and powered speakers and that you discharge the residual power by pushing the power button) you can remove the coin battery from the mobo, wait 30 secs. and then put it back (note which side goes up). That will reset your BIOS.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you installed your heatsink yet? If not, turn everything off and install it.

Using the guide is fine, but don't get greedy. Hopefully you know where you left off in the process when everything died. Now just back off slightly from that point and see if everything works properly. If things appear good to go, you'll need to stress test your system to verify stability.

First, you are going to need an aftermarket heatsink.

Second, I hope you have a 600i or700i.

Except for the section on adjusting memory, that's not a bad guide.

So, let's start over. Clear the CMOS memory. That will take your board back to factory defaults.

This should be your first stop. It's a generic Core2 guide.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Unlink the memory.

Here's where I disagree with the IGN guide. It says set the memory clock to 800 MHz. I set the memory clock to twice the FSB frequency. At an FSB of 333 MHz, your memory clock should be at 667 MHz.

That's how I got an eVGA 680i board running with an E6600 at 3.6 GHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

dbrs94

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
My cpu just doesnt want to overclock! I am doing everything slowly and cautiously, even adjusting the memory perfectly to the FSB speed when adjusting it (Lowest I've tried is 20mhz - doesnt work). I slowly adjust voltage when needed, but my computer wants me to keep resetting the BIOS settings. What am I doing wrong?

dbrs94

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Ok, well I adjusted some things (I adjusted my voltage from 1.25000 to 1.27500 because that was what was needed for windows to run) and ran prime95 for 5 hours without a single issue, and my temp didnt get about 60 degrees C. Should I be safe now? any other things I can do to confirm stability?