April 7, 2002 12:14:07 AM

How will an Audigy run on my computer?

Pentium 233
256MB Ram.

How will it run?

More about : audigy run computer

April 7, 2002 12:33:20 AM

Horrible.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
April 7, 2002 12:38:34 AM

Somehwere between a one-legged chicken and a two-legged dog.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 7, 2002 12:48:03 AM

I'm running a SoundBlaster PCI128 on a P133 system, believe it or not.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
April 7, 2002 1:33:43 AM

LMAO!!! that was hilariouS Burger....LOL

This Community is like a Second Family!!
Anonymous
April 7, 2002 4:25:14 AM

Are you guys just being sarcastic? Is it really going to run horribly? Why?
April 7, 2002 7:52:35 AM

I'm the only one on this board that likes the Audigy. But I'm also one of the only ones that actually owns one..

I dont know about that system, I've never thought of putting a soundcard like that in a system of that speed.
I would recommend a new computer first then worry about quality sound.
It has the lowest cpu utilization rate of any card so I would think it would be your best bet.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.
April 7, 2002 1:39:09 PM

I also think Audigy is great. The CPU will not really matter if you only listen to mp3 and does not play game. I use to listen to mp3 on my SB Live on a Pentium 166.
April 7, 2002 1:52:10 PM

But what's the point of getting an Audigy when all its useful features (Firewire, EAX, etc) won't be used because the system is too slow?

April 7, 2002 2:12:25 PM

For computer I brought a lot of stuff I do not really need now but I think it will be useful in the future. My system only need a 350 watt PSU but I still get a 450 Watt one so I can add more components in the future. Sound card does not improve as fast as other component of computer. You can always reuse it in future upgrade. 3 years ago when I brought my SB Live I am using a Pentium 166 and only have 2 speaker so most of features are not that useful at the time. Now I am using the card with Athlon 1.4 GHz and Klipish 4.1 speaker.
April 7, 2002 5:23:50 PM

That's true. Sound technology doesn't advance as fast as graphics and CPU technology. I expect my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz to last me 5 years before it becomes completely obsolete. I had a SoundBlaster AWE32 in my P133 for 6 years before I replaced it with a SoundBlaster PCI128.

The AWE32 may be an ISA card but it doesn't sound bad with decent speakers.

April 7, 2002 8:49:11 PM

I have and use an AWE32 (for DOS stuff) and it's one of the noisiest cards I've ever listened to. The DACs on this thing are horribly cheap. At high volumes, the hiss is almost unbearable. But I don't have much of a choice since I want full compatibility with DOS stuff (the SB16's even worse). I have it on the Line In on my Audigy and I keep it muted unless I run a DOS game. If I don't mute it, it adds considerable noise to my Audigy Line Out!!!

Ritesh
April 7, 2002 9:08:17 PM

It'll run fine. The Audigy uses fewer CPU resources than the Live! did and far fewer than the ISA sound cards that were in their heyday when your machine was in its prime. Therefore the Audigy is a *better* choice for your computer than the older cards.

However, you need to ask yourself what you're using the card for. If it's for games, I'm sorry, but a P233 just isn't going to cut it for today's games! If it's for better sound quality in your existing applications, yes, it will deliver in spades over nearly any older generation card.

Nevertheless, make sure you don't install any of the extra junk that the Audigy installation kindly "suggests" that you install. Many of these extra features, like MP3 noise reduction, are performed in software and will place an extra burden on your CPU. All you need is the core stuff: AudioHQ, SoundFont control, the Speaker applet, and perhaps one or two others. EAX, MIDI, and digital sound playback are all accelerated natively by the Audigy's processor, so it largely doesn't matter what CPU you have.

Ritesh
April 7, 2002 10:15:27 PM

I hope Hercules Release's a New Sound Card that will perform better then the GTXP....

April 8, 2002 4:52:39 AM

One question, what was up with all the hatin on the Audigy early in this thread? Just a question, do you guys really have a major problem with Creative and the Audigy?
I understand you dont like the Audigy but whats up with the straight up lies about it? It should run the best of any sound card he could get..
It has the lowest cpu utilization rate of any sound card on the market as far as I know...

I'm just wondering if you guys are doing this out of hate, or seriously think the card wouldnt run good on his system? I'm just getting vibes you simply hate the Audigy because you might have had bad experiences with it and now own a Hercules card? Am i right?

I've seen slow celeron systems running a standard sound card and then pop in even a Live! card and watched skipping MP3s disappear, let alone a Audigy it has alot of sound processin power.

An Audigy is a great bet as it will last many years when he actually does upgrade his motherboard and cpu.. it'd be dumb to buy anything else when he can get one for $50...
if he gets something else than he's got to add the price of that card and the Audigy when he does upgrade everything cuz he's going to want to get rid of what he gets instead...

I'm not getting aggresive or mad I'm just really curious here.

April 8, 2002 12:52:51 PM

Most of their hate is irrational (the Audigy is a great card), but one of Creative's weak points has always been driver support. The drivers are usually sub par and Creative, like, never gets around to fixing problems. Plus a lot of the Creative hate on this board comes from Athlon users (Via chipsets particularly), which Creative cards often have problems with. Few Intel users complain about Creative cards (other than the driver issues).

Ritesh
April 8, 2002 2:39:57 PM

Well, I always owned an AMD-cpu and a Creative Soundcard.

K6-450 + SB AWE64
Athlon XP1800+ + SB Audigy Platinum

Encountered only one problem though, sound hangs sometimes in games.

Don't really know where prob lays. I guess it's the driver.
Used to have a K7 1400: no prob with sound, now with XP1800 and other mobo voices in games hangs.

Will wait untill new drivers come out.

For music and special effects this card rocks

Now available: notebook with Mobile Hammer CPU and Geforce6; awesome!
April 8, 2002 2:47:28 PM

dcpsoguy,

I've no clue how the audigy will react on your system.
I thought the minimum is a K6 or PII-300, but I'm not sure though.

But like the others said, you will lose a lot of features.

Now available: notebook with Mobile Hammer CPU and Geforce6; awesome!
April 8, 2002 6:13:34 PM

Quote:
But I'm also one of the only ones that actually owns one..

How much experience have you had with the GTXP or Santa Cruz?

Quote:
but whats up with the straight up lies about it?

And which lies might that be?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 8, 2002 8:02:07 PM

I'm not going to argue with you, I just asked a question why the glossing over the Audigy so quickly and easily.. it doesnt make sense to me.
I know you like your hercules but its not the end all of sound card discussions.
As far as VIA, that makes no sense, I got an Audigy when they were first available and I used a SIS 735 with it, a KT266 and a KT266A and have had zero lockups and zero problems but I use all high quality parts.
Besides the SIS735 was a ECS motherboard but it still gave no problems.

April 8, 2002 9:42:33 PM

Everything I say is based off either my own experience or from reputable reviews (in the case of things like CPU utilization, etc).
I own a Live and used to own a KT7a-RAID. I had none of the normal 686B problems, and have never recommended against a Live or Audigy because of that. If you find that I have, I'd be happy to correct it.
Of course I can only speak for myself, not other members of this forum.

But the fact remains, you've recommended the Audigy over the GTXP and Santa Cruz for sound quality reasons, and I'm curious as to when you've actually heard those cards in action.

April 8, 2002 11:36:02 PM

I told the individual in this thread that it has the lowest CPU utilization of sound cards.

Though I should not be answering this as I did not get a decent reply to my question, as far as my Santa Cruz experience a friend has one but I havent had extensive use with one.

I think the scrutiny deserves to be on you, you are the ones who had no reason to bash the audigy besides gang-mentality against creative and the audigy.
Thats why I posted the above message on the needless hate for the audigy.

As I suspected, its because you are defending what you own, if you had an Audigy you would be defending that.

I bought an Audigy for its low cpu utilization rate (the review I read said it made enabling sound almost free), the sound quality, EAX Advanced HD, and the specifications on the board.
There are good reasons for recommending the Audigy to this person in this thread from me and other THG members.
I do not see any good arguements against it.

Unless comments such as "horrible" and attempts to discredit myself count as pluses to the Santa Cruz/GTXPs credibility.

April 8, 2002 11:41:20 PM

Instead of attempting to bash me (the thorn in your GTXP/Santa Cruz party you have going on here), this individual STILL has not gotten a decent reply besides from me upec, zeexen and Ritesh. Who all happen to be Audigy supporters or at least neutral.

I digress, I think everyone has seen enough and my point is proven.

<b>Poster: dcpsoguy
Subject: Re: How will an Audigy run on my computer?

Are you guys just being sarcastic? Is it really going to run horribly? Why? </b>

April 8, 2002 11:53:07 PM

Quote:
as I did not get a decent reply to my question

Sorry, which? I thought I answered them.

Quote:
I think the scrutiny deserves to be on you

I've given my reasons for disliking the Audigy many times, you have yet to say why you keep recommending against the GTXP.

Quote:
As I suspected, its because you are defending what you own, if you had an Audigy you would be defending that.

I could obviously say the same for you, however I also own two Vortex 2s, a Seismic Edge and a Live, all sitting in the same little plastic box by my desk.

Quote:
I bought an Audigy for its low cpu utilization rate

Which is true, though my GTXP ran 1-2% on my 1.2 Tbird while playing MP3s.

Quote:
the sound quality

Which I disagree with, but everyone has a different opinion of what good sound quality is.

Quote:
EAX Advanced HD

Which is something the market has needed for quite some time, I'm glad Creative does what they do to further gaming sound technology. Pity no games support it yet, hopefully they'll come soon.

Quote:
and the specifications on the board

The overall specs, or were you referring to something specific?

April 9, 2002 12:37:46 AM

Like I said in my last two posts, I digress from this arguement. i will no longer run in circles with people who have their mind made up so surely (more like irrationally).

As far as why I recommend the Audigy over the GTXP, this has been stated by me many times in this thread alone..

Low CPU Utilization
Sound Quality (objective)
EAX Advanced HD
Price ($50)
Dolbly Digital decoding
Firewire port
More future usage than any card due to EAX HD

I concentrated on the low cpu utilization for this person because he has a slow computer, the future usuage will be important as he upgrades his system thats one less thing he will have to replace to be cutting edge, for $50 theres no reason for him not to go Audigy.

and its not a recommendation against the GTXP but a recommendation for the Audigy.. but that does imply that the Audigy is superior in my opinion to the GTXP so yes, you can assume that if you will.
The GTXP is a good card but I cant see buying one in the face of the $50 Audigy with firewire,EAXHD,Dolby Digital decoding, ect.

Anyone who reads this thread will easily see the dodging of my points and reasoning, but I admire your standing up for your earlier posts in this thread.

April 10, 2002 1:50:40 PM

Im sure it would run decent, Sound Cards don't require such HIGH Qulity Computers.

What you have would run it fine probly... I wouldn't recommend putting a card like that in such a Low Performing RIG, but that's IMO

April 16, 2002 4:55:27 AM

I have been using Creative Products for over 7 years, and the Audigy is next on my list of purchases (It is coming in on Wed.) The biggest advantage I see in using Creatives Products is that I know how to get them to work well with my Via Chipset (PIII). It is also nice that the latest card works with my Hoontech SB-DIII I/O Add-on card, so for $90, I can have the latest in sound tech, the firewire port and all the Optical and Coax inputs and outputs of the $150 card. At any rate, I will post to tell of my experiences with the new card, and also any recommendations or warnings. But one cannot comment on something that he has not experienced yet:) 

If it works for you then don't fix it.
April 16, 2002 6:24:49 PM

I've always used Creative cards and never had a problem. Currently a run a Audigy alongside a P4 and a TI4600 on Z-560 Speakers and in my most utterly humble opinion there is nothing better for games. However, all you music and movie afficondo's who never play games feel free to flame me for thinking the Audigy is the most kickass card for gaming....

edit: oh yea, my point, it just goes to show, its not always about the product but about what the heck yer gonna use it for.

second edit: corrected the spelling of edit. =-P

third edit: Forgot to answer the origional question... Yes, as long as your only going to use it for music and everything else on your PC is also DX8.0 compatible, then the audigy should run fine on that pc.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 04/16/02 02:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 16, 2002 6:48:45 PM

dcpsoguy
What will u be using the soundcard for?
Games, DVD, Pro-Audio & Video production?
April 16, 2002 6:56:20 PM

Quote:
However, all you music and movie afficondo's who never play games feel free to flame me for thinking the Audigy is the most kickass card for gaming....

I play games too, and from my experience that's what the Audigy is worst at.

April 16, 2002 7:38:42 PM

Again, I can't comment about the Audigy directly, but I can honestly say the SBLive! is the far worse than my Santa Cruz for games.

April 16, 2002 7:50:29 PM

Hard to imagine, havnt heard the the santa cruz in a truely good setup though, but i can't find ANYTHING wrong with the audigy. I was blown away when i first hooked it up...what is it you guys find bad about it? The 3d effects, positioning, and clear crisp sound i get is quite good.

Hell, if you come up with a good enough reason Santa Cruz is better you think then i'll try one...only a 15% restocking fee if i dont like it...willing to try anything for 9 bucks-)

Oh yea, how would you compare the Herculees Game Theatre 6.1 to the Audigy? I havnt heard that one yet.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII
April 16, 2002 9:12:34 PM

Although I haven't heard any of the Sensaura-based cards, I can't see how the Audigy can be greatly improved upon for gaming or DVDs. Maybe I'm missing something but my experiences are in general agreement with sites like "3dss.com" who report the Audigy to be an excellent card and setting the standard for gaming sound.

Did you do your comparison on an Intel or non-Intel chipset? There is a possibility that the Audigy just doesn't perform as well on non-Intel chipsets. There have definitely been confirmed reports of problems with Via chipsets. Via's infamous PCI timing issues could possibly screw up the quality of the sound output from the Audigy.

Ritesh
April 16, 2002 9:58:54 PM

Quote:
Did you do your comparison on an Intel or non-Intel chipset?

Both

BTW, I just finished the Audigy review at 3dss.com. He mentions in his conclusion that the Audigy is much better than the Live for gaming (which nobody is debating), but still falls short of Sensaura cards (Santa Cruz, GTXP).

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 04/16/02 03:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 16, 2002 10:20:51 PM

The reason Creative cards suck for the most part is that they are using bandwidth hogs, and they include buggy drivers. The SBLive! conflicts with all motherboards because it's constantly making use of the PCI bus even when it's not actually producing any sound. Add one or two more PCI bus hogs, like a TV Tuner and a RAID controller with RAID 0 set up, and you're asking for trouble. FatBurger's experiences are generally with poor quality positions and while I agree my biggest beef with Creative is that they think they own you PCI bus. I've tried my SBLive! on all my systems with TV Tuners and they all suck. Try using TV-on-Demand and running a processor intensive app in the background, and the sound will be very choppy although CPU utilization isn't at 100%! My Santa Cruz doesn't do that.

April 16, 2002 11:14:33 PM

So, if you wanna try to convince an Audigy owner to move to something else here's your chance, you guys tell me what the best card is for gaming and i'll try it for 13 days. (CompUSA has a 14 day return policy) If I find its better i'll keep it, if its not better i'll return it. Which card do you feel is best for gaming. 6.1 GTXP or Santa Cruz? or something else? common give a straight answer and i'll try it.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII
April 16, 2002 11:21:32 PM

They both have the same chip so they should both sound roughly the same. The GTXP has more features however, and the external rack might theoretically allow for less distortion when using analog speakers.

April 16, 2002 11:24:39 PM

I agree, but why would you say there could be less distortion?

I have a GTXP and love it. I've also never talked to anyone who didn't obsessively love their Santa Cruz.

April 16, 2002 11:24:43 PM

Please tell us about how the other card compare to Audigy.
April 16, 2002 11:32:38 PM

Quote:

I agree, but why would you say there could be less distortion?

..because of certain EM radiation produced inside the computer perhaps?

April 16, 2002 11:47:50 PM

It'd still be the same thing, though. The card is still placed inside the case. If you were talking about an Extigy, I could see that as a possibility.

April 18, 2002 7:06:40 AM

what's wrong with the gtxp? I was hoping to get one, actually.
April 18, 2002 7:13:26 AM

Quote:
How much experience have you had with the GTXP or Santa Cruz?

is there a turtle beach card that's even comparable to an audigy? I'm not saying this because I'm a creative fan, it's just that the last time I was over at turtle beach looking at the santa cruz card it was just a pci card like the live! value. the audigy has that breakout box with rca, optical in/out, firewire, etc... that's a big advantage regardless of driver issues. don't get me wrong, I'm interested in the gtxp more than anything else, and am frankly sick of creative's driver nonsense. I just don't see the comparison to turtle beach as being favorable for turtle beach and am hoping you could explain.
April 18, 2002 7:29:27 AM

okay, this thread went insane. let's make one thing clear on this whole issue of whether or not the card is good for the guy with the problem. this is from creative's website, listed as the first item in their minimum system requirements:
Quote:
Genuine Intel® Pentium® 266MHz, AMD® K6 300MHz or faster processor

our poor fellow has just a smidge lower than this on his machine. could he get away with it? maybe, but I can think of hundreds of hard and software products that lower their minimum requirements below what they should to increase sales, so the fact that he doesn't meet even the MINIMUM requirement says something. Further, the RECOMMENDED is a good deal higher than what he has. considering creative DOES have a reputation for driver issues and worthless tech support, I'd say he's risking his money. So, when people said the card would run poorly, they were right. It's not because the Audigy's BAD necessarily, but even though it uses less cpu resources than most other cards doesn't change the fact that it asks for more than he can give it.
April 18, 2002 12:08:00 PM

The Santa Cruz is comparable to the SoundBlaster Augidy MP3+ and Gamer.

April 18, 2002 3:58:51 PM

Santa Cruz comparable to an Audigy X-Gamer? I hope you mean in terms of the package that comes with it, because otherwise it's no contest.

April 18, 2002 4:12:55 PM

Yes, in terms of extras. The Santa Cruz is actually more comparable to the MP3+ in terms of software extra because it includes AudioStation.

April 18, 2002 5:16:28 PM

Ok, just making sure.

April 18, 2002 7:20:06 PM

Ah, farg it, i'll just go buy a GTXP and test it...comparison coming next week. Later.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 04/18/02 03:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>