Walkman headphone cable as FM antenna

Last response: in Home Audio
November 19, 2004 6:51:01 PM

I would like to replace the standard ear bud headphones that came with my
walkman FM radio with a decent pair of "real" headphones. I thought the
only issue would be if the walkman was capable of driving regular headphones
but when I plugged a pair of display headphones into the walkman, the FM
reception was so poor it was unlistenable. I suspect that because the
walkman is designed to use the headphone cord as the FM antenna, the cable
on the full size display headphones were not functioning as an antenna.

Are headphone cables for typical walkman type devices designed differently
from cables for full size headphones? Can I determine from the specs or
description if a certain pair of headphones will function as an antenna with
my walkman?

Thanks
John
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 6:51:02 PM

"John Richards" <jrichar3@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>I would like to replace the standard ear bud headphones that came with my
> walkman FM radio with a decent pair of "real" headphones. I thought the
> only issue would be if the walkman was capable of driving regular
> headphones
> but when I plugged a pair of display headphones into the walkman, the FM
> reception was so poor it was unlistenable. I suspect that because the
> walkman is designed to use the headphone cord as the FM antenna, the cable
> on the full size display headphones were not functioning as an antenna.
>
> Are headphone cables for typical walkman type devices designed differently
> from cables for full size headphones? Can I determine from the specs or
> description if a certain pair of headphones will function as an antenna
> with
> my walkman?

Is your "real headphone" cable coiled?
(vs. straight for the OEM earbuds?)
How far away from the FM transmitters
are you? (urban, suburban, rural?)
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 6:51:02 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:51:01 GMT, "John Richards"
<jrichar3@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>I would like to replace the standard ear bud headphones that came with my
>walkman FM radio with a decent pair of "real" headphones. I thought the
>only issue would be if the walkman was capable of driving regular headphones
>but when I plugged a pair of display headphones into the walkman, the FM
>reception was so poor it was unlistenable. I suspect that because the
>walkman is designed to use the headphone cord as the FM antenna, the cable
>on the full size display headphones were not functioning as an antenna.
>
>Are headphone cables for typical walkman type devices designed differently
>from cables for full size headphones? Can I determine from the specs or
>description if a certain pair of headphones will function as an antenna with
>my walkman?

Normally, the ground wire is the antenna. All headphones have a
ground wire. Did you try other headphones? It could be the ground
wire on the set you tried isn't long enough or positioned correctly.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
|edelsgNO@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
November 20, 2004 2:13:57 AM

The headphone wire is the antenna on your unit, just like many of the
others. The lead cord from the headphones has to be matched to some degree
to act as an antenna. The front end RF amplifier is coupled to the headphone
wires to act as an antenna. Some models of headphones use shielded wires.
This type will make a very poor antenna most of the time.

--

Jerry G.
======

"John Richards" <jrichar3@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>I would like to replace the standard ear bud headphones that came with my
> walkman FM radio with a decent pair of "real" headphones. I thought the
> only issue would be if the walkman was capable of driving regular
> headphones
> but when I plugged a pair of display headphones into the walkman, the FM
> reception was so poor it was unlistenable. I suspect that because the
> walkman is designed to use the headphone cord as the FM antenna, the cable
> on the full size display headphones were not functioning as an antenna.
>
> Are headphone cables for typical walkman type devices designed differently
> from cables for full size headphones? Can I determine from the specs or
> description if a certain pair of headphones will function as an antenna
> with
> my walkman?
>
> Thanks
> John

Anonymous
November 20, 2004 9:15:23 AM

Thanks to all who replied. I had stopped into Best Buy and they only had
one pair of headphones available for demonstration. I had my walkman with
me and the reception was fine in the store with the headphones that came
with the walkman so I don't think the problem had anything to do with my
location. The headphones that I tried did not have a coiled cable (as far
as I remember). I haven't been able to try other headphones as most that
are available locally are packaged and unavailable for audition. I had read
that the Grado SR-60 phones(which I would have to order) work well with
personal CD players but I want something that will also work with a walkman
FM radio, so I'm unsure of how to determine which phones would work. Any
further thoughts?

John

"Jerry G." <jerryg-consultNOSPAM@ca.inter.net> wrote in message
> The headphone wire is the antenna on your unit, just like many of the
> others. The lead cord from the headphones has to be matched to some degree
> to act as an antenna. The front end RF amplifier is coupled to the
headphone
> wires to act as an antenna. Some models of headphones use shielded wires.
> This type will make a very poor antenna most of the time.
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
> ======
>

> "John Richards" <jrichar3@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> >I would like to replace the standard ear bud headphones that came with my
> > walkman FM radio with a decent pair of "real" headphones. I thought
the
> > only issue would be if the walkman was capable of driving regular
> > headphones
> > but when I plugged a pair of display headphones into the walkman, the FM
> > reception was so poor it was unlistenable. I suspect that because the
> > walkman is designed to use the headphone cord as the FM antenna, the
cable
> > on the full size display headphones were not functioning as an antenna.
> >
> > Are headphone cables for typical walkman type devices designed
differently
> > from cables for full size headphones? Can I determine from the specs or
> > description if a certain pair of headphones will function as an antenna
> > with
> > my walkman?
> >
> > Thanks
> > John

Anonymous
November 21, 2004 12:53:38 AM

In <FDond.3262$Uf.1971@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, on 11/19/04
at 03:51 PM, "John Richards" <jrichar3@twcny.rr.com> said:

>I would like to replace the standard ear bud headphones that came with
>my walkman FM radio with a decent pair of "real" headphones. I
>thought the only issue would be if the walkman was capable of driving
>regular headphones but when I plugged a pair of display headphones
>into the walkman, the FM reception was so poor it was unlistenable. I
>suspect that because the walkman is designed to use the headphone cord
>as the FM antenna, the cable on the full size display headphones were
>not functioning as an antenna.

This is an FM only unit? Can you play a CD? Does the CD sound OK? It is
possible that the "real" headphones are upsetting the walkman, making
you think that it's an FM reception issue.

>Are headphone cables for typical walkman type devices designed
>differently from cables for full size headphones? Can I determine
>from the specs or description if a certain pair of headphones will
>function as an antenna with my walkman?

Did you have your "buds" with you? Was reception OK with the buds, but
not with the standard headphones? (keeping in mind my comment above) It
could be that the store location was in poor reception area. In a store
situation, particularly if there is a wall of TV's nearby, reception
could be poor in any case.

Wire length would be the most important characteristic and results
would probably be best if the wire was extended, rather than coiled.

A headphone wire antenna is generally not very effective, but in strong
signal areas you might get lucky.

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)