TV Wonder 650 Combo PCIe No Sound

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Greetings all. I have exhausted my troubleshooting skills and am hoping for some further suggestions.

I have a TV Wonder 650 Combo PCIe installed in my system. The TV tuner still works and I have had no problems with that aspect of the card.

About a year ago I hooked my Hi8 camcorder up to the card and using VLC 1.x had image and sound working. I was able to transfer a tape to my computer.

I got sidetracked by other projects and haven't tried to transfer a tape again until recently. Now I cannot get the sound to work. Video is fine. I used VLC, now 2.x, and also Golden Video. Neither can find my sound input.

Since last March I have added a video card to the system.

I have tried various combinations of removing and reinstalling the software and drivers to no avail.

The only thing I haven't tried is connecting the TV tuner sound connector to my motherboard. I did not have to do that last year and the instructions I have found concerning that seem to apply to non-SATA optical drives and systems with sound cards.

I have fiddled with the VLC settings to no avail. In the Windows sound control panel I do not see any Recording device that indicates it is part of the TV tuner card. I can see the microphone for my webcam, the front and rear mic inputs and a Line In (High definition Audio Device).

I am using ATI AVStream Analog Capture drivers for Audio and Video. I have connected to the card using the S-Video and Audio inputs.

As a side note the Audio Input is light green which does not correspond with the usual color for audio in, but the card specs clearly specify that as an audio in jack.

Any suggestions will be welcome and any questions answered. Thank you in advance.

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

That's what everything except the user manual says. According to the manual and diagram it is audio IN. Since I had it working before I'm guessing that is correct.

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I have spoken with the manufacturer and they are saying that because I'm using HDMI on my video card that the video card is taking control of the sound system.

They have suggested switching to VGA or DVI for the video from the video card and then maybe the audio input will work.

I might go with that except:
1. I had it working with HDMI from the motherboard.
2. The TV I'm using as a monitor doesn't have DVI so that means I've got to piece together a solution for getting the video and sound there.

I did ask if I added a discrete sound card to the mix if that might change things since there appears to be an audio connector on the TV tuner and a similar TV card has a diagram showing how to connect to a sound card. Tech Support said maybe. I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on a sound card but of course the video card I am using takes up two slots and the heat sink would be pretty close to any sound card I install.

Oh well, I guess this project gets put on the back burner again since it will take several hours to do a rigorous test to see if I can get back to the point that the audio in was working before I installed the video card.

Or worse case scenario swap the TV card to another computer and do the project there and not watch TV for a couple of months.

In the meantime any additional thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.