Pixelation on new Asus VG248QE 144hz Monitor

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Asus
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 4, 2013 11:25:29 PM

Hey guys, I have a issue that i can't seem to figure out. First off I will list my system specs to bring everyone up to par and this system was built in May 2012:

3570k OC to 4ghz
Asus Z77-V Pro mobo
16gb Corsair mem
1 SSD HD
1 7200rpm HD
Corsair HX750 PSU
2 x EVGA GTX 670 reference model
Hyper 212 Evo cooler

Ok, so I decided to splurge and by my 2nd GTX 670 for sli and upgrade to a higher 144hz monitor so I could enjoy my fps gaming a bit more. The first few days were really nice and I had no issues. Then randomly while playing games I would get several (hundreds) of green or red pixels that would show up during my game play. The pixels did not stay in one spot, as I look around they would move around on the screen too.

I did run some benchmarks like 3Dmark and Unigine Heaven just to see how I would score on them. I wouldn't think pushing my system a little bit on those benchmarks would cause any issues?

At first I thought it was one of my video cards, but I was able to replicate it on both video cards. I tried swapping video inputs from DVI-D to DVI-I (not really sure if it makes a difference?) and the same thing kept happening. I then tried swapping out to my old 23 inch 60hz Asus VH236H monitor and I could NOT replicate the issue which has led me to believe it was a monitor issue. Someone said I might not be running a strong enough power supply and perhaps that was my issue but from my research i should have enough juice to run my rig easily. I am ready to pack this monitor up and send it back to newegg but before I do I wanted to see if anyone else had a remedy?

More about : pixelation asus vg248qe 144hz monitor

a c 234 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
March 5, 2013 12:01:35 AM

Drop the monitor back to 120hz and see if the problem persists.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
March 5, 2013 12:22:59 AM

If you had vsync on that would affect the load.and explain why it didn't happen at 60Hz. If it's off then it's kind have been nice to know what monitor you have that's supposedly.defective
m
l
Related resources
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 135 C Monitor
March 5, 2013 12:32:53 AM

That pixelation issue you described is something I've seen 2-3 times, all of which were bad video cards. You might want to see if you can't exchange the new 670.
m
l
March 5, 2013 1:05:12 AM

I did try backing it down to 120hz and it did the samething. I let the application control vsync in my settings. Normally vsync is off though. If it is a video card issue, I'd find it hard to believe ironically that my originall 670 and the new 670 would have the same exact faulty issue operating independantly with the same monitor.

I read somewhere that a duallink cable is required and I know asus packaged my monitor with one and that is the cable I am using. Would there be any possible issues there?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2013 1:27:24 AM

Stickem said:
I did try backing it down to 120hz and it did the samething. I let the application control vsync in my settings. Normally vsync is off though. If it is a video card issue, I'd find it hard to believe ironically that my originall 670 and the new 670 would have the same exact faulty issue operating independantly with the same monitor.

I read somewhere that a duallink cable is required and I know asus packaged my monitor with one and that is the cable I am using. Would there be any possible issues there?

That same thing happened to me and I ended up returning the card and selling the old one. Moved on to AMD. I do think that it is the card because it was for me. I took the new one out and played with one and I never saw anything. However, when I put the new one back in for SLI things got screwy again with red screen following pixelation. So your safe bet would be to return the card like I did. Or you can keep trying to play with different settings until it settles down.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 135 C Monitor
March 5, 2013 2:49:38 AM

Stickem said:

Did you take out the 2nd video card when testing each card separately? Even if you plug it into each card, one faulty card can still cause the issue.
m
l
March 5, 2013 10:46:26 AM

Yes, I took each card out individually and tested. It's actually kind of funny you asked. I ended up sending one of my cards back to EVGA to rma it thinking that card was bad. While using the 2nd (the newest 670) card solo until the other comes back from EVGA, the same issue popped up but actually looked worse.

It's just driving me nuts, because it seems that I am only experiencing this issue with the 144hz/120hz modes on the ASUS VG248QE monitor. I can plug in my ASUS VH236H 60hz monitor and it doesn't have any issues.

I am half way tempted to return the 144hz monitor and try buying one of the BenQ 120hz because it doent seem like people are having issues with those?
m
l
!