Why does my computer keep restarting!!? (cold booting)

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
My comp is one week old and this is starting to develop into a very often problem... man :(

So it firsthappened 4 days ago when I was gaming, and now happens 10 minutes of gaming. (I play Skyrim...)

There has got to be a reason as there is for EVERYTHING and this is no exception... my specs are at the bottom but what i've definitely noticed and found that the semi-reason or possibility is DEFINITELY something with stress... When playing a game it will just PIF! off! doesnt even go through the win "Shutting down computr..." just straight up stop, black screen, and restarts... wtf y? My temps are fine... sigh i want this fixed sooo bad. All help is soooo damn appreciated. Thanks guys and also any more info or test u need me to take? (I left my comp completely idle for 20 mins, no reboot... wow...)

Thanks guys! My specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-PRO/GEN3
Graphics card: (at the moment) GTX 560 Ti, will be getting the GTX 680 FTW 4GB
CPU: i5 2550k @ 3.4GHz stock. No OC'ing at the moment...
Power Supply: Gold certified Cooler Master 800w silent pro PSU (will consider 1000w for x2 680...)
HDD: 3TB 7200rpm 64MB cache
RAM: 16GB 1600MHz speed DDR3 (G. Skill RipJaws)

alishathomaz

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Perform the following tasks::

Scan your computer with an antivirus
Apply De-fragmentation on your system
Delete all temporary files
Run disc clean up
Fix registry errors.

Also Remove junk files::

Click Start - Run, type in %temp% and then click OK.

Once that temp folder is open and you can view its contents, select and delete EVERYTHING that's inside it.

It's all junk and is a good place for "nasties" to hide.

If a few files resist being deleted, that's normal. Leave them alone and delete EVERYTHING else.

Repeat the steps with c:\windows\temp

After you're done with both temp folders, restart the computer.

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I would start by dropping your RAM speed in bios to a slower speed, then check if it has made a difference.

If not, it could be overheating. Download 'coretemp' and 'prime95' run them both and keep an eye on your temps, anything over 65C can indicate a problem.

Prime95 will push your CPU to the limit, you should also download Furmark which will do the same for your video card.

Run prime95 & furmark, then post results.