Nakamichi MR-2 tape speed way too fast

Hi Folks,

I just plugged in a Nakamichi MR-2 professional 2-head cassette deck to
listen to some old cassettes I have. However, virtually all of the cassettes
play at what sounds like double speed. I am not an audiophile, but just
wondering if there is a reason this type of cassette deck would use
a faster tape speed than normal consumer decks, or if there is a way
to slow it down; also if it may just be a problem with the deck. Thanks,

--
Jeff
3 answers Last reply

    dynamorph@hotmail.com (Jeff) wrote in

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I just plugged in a Nakamichi MR-2 professional 2-head cassette deck to
    > listen to some old cassettes I have. However, virtually all of the
    > cassettes play at what sounds like double speed. I am not an
    > audiophile, but just wondering if there is a reason this type of
    > cassette deck would use a faster tape speed than normal consumer decks,
    > or if there is a way to slow it down; also if it may just be a problem
    > with the deck. Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Jeff

    Some of the pro cassette decks had a transport speed of 3 3/4 ips as
    opposed to the standard 1 7/8 ips. If there is no switch to change speeds
    you may be stuck with a white elephant. All of the Nak decks in the pro
    catagory that I ever saw were switchable however.

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >I just plugged in a Nakamichi MR-2 professional 2-head cassette deck to
    >listen to some old cassettes I have. However, virtually all of the cassettes
    >play at what sounds like double speed. I am not an audiophile, but just
    >wondering if there is a reason this type of cassette deck would use
    >a faster tape speed than normal consumer decks, or if there is a way
    >to slow it down; also if it may just be a problem with the deck. Thanks,
    >
    >--
    >Jeff

    If it plays back too fast, but seems to record at the correct speed, the
    problem is in the speed control on the front of the deck.

    You may be able to clean that potentiometer, but it is unlikely that will fix
    the problem.

    Unfortunately, that part is no longer available. Though you may be able to wire
    around the pot with a couple of resistors to disable the vari speed feature.

    Stephen Sank may be able to help you. He repairs a lot of Nak gear.
    bk11@thuntek.net
    Richard H. Kuschel

    Jeff,

    While I don't know the MR-2 specifically, I've seen several Nakamichi
    machines where the pinchroller arm bearing lubrication dries out and
    turns to a putty that looks like contact cement! When this happens, the
    rubber pinch roller never really comes in contact with the capstan, and
    it is just the take up drive that is speeding the tape along. You have
    to be very careful to clean out the old lubricant, especially since some
    of the arms may have tape guides on them and will affect the tape path
    alignment. Again, this may or may not apply to the MR-2.

    Regards,
    Tim Schwartz
    Bristol Electronics

    Jeff wrote:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I just plugged in a Nakamichi MR-2 professional 2-head cassette deck to
    > listen to some old cassettes I have. However, virtually all of the cassettes
    > play at what sounds like double speed. I am not an audiophile, but just
    > wondering if there is a reason this type of cassette deck would use
    > a faster tape speed than normal consumer decks, or if there is a way
    > to slow it down; also if it may just be a problem with the deck. Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Jeff

Audio