Card Not Working

Bodom12345

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
MoBo: Biostar A780L3G (AMD supported 2.0 PCIe x16)
PSU:480w
Ram: 4 GB (Would be 8 but its xp and 32 bit)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB 45NM 125W 4000MHZ

I have been having issues with getting my new "MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 1gb Gddr5 Pcie X16 Video Card with Dvi, D-sub & Hdmi, Fan with Heat Sink" to work. It is a 2.0 and my mobo supports it.

I disabled the on board VGA after the disc that came with the card could not find compatible hardware to install the drivers and I now understand that was a horrible decision because now I can not see anything at all. That aside I was wondering if maybe I just need a 600-700w PSU or if there just a small issue with something else.

I would troubleshoot the card in this computer but it has 400w and I was told not to take anything loose from it regardless.

Things I Have Tried:

Tried the drivers from Nvidia and MSI websites.

Checked compatibility before and after purchase of the card with my mobo and there is no reason why it should not work.

Took out all parts with only the Processor, RAM, and PSU and no error beeps.

Next put in card, powered up and fan ran.

Put in CDRom and Hard drive with no error beeps.

Windows would load but would not detect card in new hardware.

Disabled the on board VGA without realizing in my tiredness that I would not be able to see anything afterwords if the card did not have plug n play.

Bottled up anger and frustration. :p

I'm sure I could just reset the cmos to enable VGA again but the issue still stands. I had a GeForce 9400 GT in there before so I did not expect a newer GeForce to have problems along with researching to be sure.

Any suggestions besides "Upgrade to 7/8, 4gb is slow, thats not even a good card just buy a new one" that I got on a less mature forums?

Bodom12345

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Reason I asked if new psu would be relevant:

Card suggests 400 w psu, Processor is 125 w= 525w plus mouse, key board, fans, wirelesscard and I would assume 600/700w should be efficient IF that is the problem.