Slight "static" noise when using TV through stereo

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
November 21, 2004 5:17:15 PM

This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find a good
answer. When I listen to the TV through my aux. input, there is
occasionally a very slight electrical static noise through both
channels, if I change the cables to a different input, it doesn't go
away, if I turn the selector switch back and forth a few times it will
go away for a period of time, but always seems to return. Eventually
it will go away for several hours, but may return. All the video
sources(DVD, VCR) are routed through the TV, so it doesn't seem to
matter what I am listening to. All other inputs never get this noise,
(radio, tape, CD, turntable). I have changed tubes in the preamp and
amp, no change.

Any suggestions? besides not watching TV? :>)

thanks, Tom
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 7:26:30 PM

In article <3b64c80f.0411211417.3e857285@posting.google.com>, tomrp
<tomrp@juno.com> wrote:

> This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find a good
> answer. When I listen to the TV through my aux. input, there is
> occasionally a very slight electrical static noise through both
> channels, if I change the cables to a different input, it doesn't go
> away, if I turn the selector switch back and forth a few times it will
> go away for a period of time, but always seems to return. Eventually
> it will go away for several hours, but may return. All the video
> sources(DVD, VCR) are routed through the TV, so it doesn't seem to
> matter what I am listening to. All other inputs never get this noise,
> (radio, tape, CD, turntable). I have changed tubes in the preamp and
> amp, no change.
>
> Any suggestions? besides not watching TV? :>)

You need to isolate which side of the equation is causing the
problem...the TV side, or the amp side. Is there any chance you
can replace one side or the other?

If it is the amp, you might have dirty switches or dirty volume
controls. Try cleaning them with a good contact cleaner. Or try
a different input, such as tape in or tuner rather than aux in.

You could have a level mismatch and might be feeding far too much
signal into the amp. In that case, you need to put some type of
antennuator pad in the middle to knock down the level.

You might also have a ground loop. Try moving all the equipment to
the same electrical outlet, and then start flipping plugs upside
down to see if any combination of items plugged in just the right
way makes a difference. If not, try a ground loop isolator,
available at Radio Shack or other electronics places.

Of all of these, I'd bet on the level mismatch first.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 john@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com