USB Wireless Network Trouble

Last response: in Networking
April 16, 2004 12:40:16 AM

I have a DLink DI-514 Wireless Router and it works fine with several
other wireless machines in my house. But - When I try to connect a
machine that I have using a Dlink USB Wireless or a NetGear USB
wireless adapter - The machines configuration program sees the
wireless network fine but I cannot get any connection to the router.
I cannot ping the router or connect to the internet.

I have tried just about everything - I have the router completely open
- and like I say - I have a notebook with a PCMCIA wireless card that
works flawlessly.

The machine that I am having trouble with is running XP Pro. The
machine seems to get an IP address from the router using DHCP - but no
other activity.....

Anyone have any ideas?????

Thanks in advance.

John
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 3:42:24 AM

Hi,

Have you checked out D-Link's support website?

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"John J. Bahun" <jbahun@roperscientific.com> wrote in message
>I have a DLink DI-514 Wireless Router and it works fine with several
> other wireless machines in my house. But - When I try to connect a
> machine that I have using a Dlink USB Wireless or a NetGear USB
> wireless adapter - The machines configuration program sees the
> wireless network fine but I cannot get any connection to the router.
> I cannot ping the router or connect to the internet.
>
> I have tried just about everything - I have the router completely open
> - and like I say - I have a notebook with a PCMCIA wireless card that
> works flawlessly.
>
> The machine that I am having trouble with is running XP Pro. The
> machine seems to get an IP address from the router using DHCP - but no
> other activity.....
>
> Anyone have any ideas?????
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> John
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 7:57:32 PM

Thanks for the hint Gary - I searched all of Dlink Knowledge base -
and no help there. This is a really strange problem. It acts like
one layer of the stack is just not working for some reason - I am
showing transmit packets but no receive packets on the status screen.

I have tried everything that I can think of - I have a Netgear USB
device that acts exactly the same way - It has to be an OS issue.....

Any other ideas?

Thanks

JB

!