USB Wireless Network Trouble

I have a DLink DI-514 Wireless Router and it works fine with several
other wireless machines in my house. But - When I try to connect a
machine that I have using a Dlink USB Wireless or a NetGear USB
wireless adapter - The machines configuration program sees the
wireless network fine but I cannot get any connection to the router.
I cannot ping the router or connect to the internet.

I have tried just about everything - I have the router completely open
- and like I say - I have a notebook with a PCMCIA wireless card that
works flawlessly.

The machine that I am having trouble with is running XP Pro. The
machine seems to get an IP address from the router using DHCP - but no
other activity.....

Anyone have any ideas?????

Thanks in advance.

John
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless network trouble

    Hi,

    Have you checked out D-Link's support website?

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "John J. Bahun" <jbahun@roperscientific.com> wrote in message
    >I have a DLink DI-514 Wireless Router and it works fine with several
    > other wireless machines in my house. But - When I try to connect a
    > machine that I have using a Dlink USB Wireless or a NetGear USB
    > wireless adapter - The machines configuration program sees the
    > wireless network fine but I cannot get any connection to the router.
    > I cannot ping the router or connect to the internet.
    >
    > I have tried just about everything - I have the router completely open
    > - and like I say - I have a notebook with a PCMCIA wireless card that
    > works flawlessly.
    >
    > The machine that I am having trouble with is running XP Pro. The
    > machine seems to get an IP address from the router using DHCP - but no
    > other activity.....
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?????
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > John

    Thanks for the hint Gary - I searched all of Dlink Knowledge base -
    and no help there. This is a really strange problem. It acts like
    one layer of the stack is just not working for some reason - I am
    showing transmit packets but no receive packets on the status screen.

    I have tried everything that I can think of - I have a Netgear USB
    device that acts exactly the same way - It has to be an OS issue.....

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks

    JB

    "Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message news:<e21mnT2IEHA.2664@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Have you checked out D-Link's support website?
    >
    > --
    > Gary Tsang
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >

    > "John J. Bahun" <jbahun@roperscientific.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a DLink DI-514 Wireless Router and it works fine with several
    > > other wireless machines in my house. But - When I try to connect a
    > > machine that I have using a Dlink USB Wireless or a NetGear USB
    > > wireless adapter - The machines configuration program sees the
    > > wireless network fine but I cannot get any connection to the router.
    > > I cannot ping the router or connect to the internet.
    > >
    > > I have tried just about everything - I have the router completely open
    > > - and like I say - I have a notebook with a PCMCIA wireless card that
    > > works flawlessly.
    > >
    > > The machine that I am having trouble with is running XP Pro. The
    > > machine seems to get an IP address from the router using DHCP - but no
    > > other activity.....
    > >
    > > Anyone have any ideas?????
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > John