Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

TIVO is not responding to the remote control

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
April 18, 2005 12:09:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

My bigger hard drive died the other night so I got another replacement
and cloned again from my original. Then I plugged in the original to
give it a chance to update to the newest OS version. Everything went
well. When that completed, I plugged in my new replacement drive to
resume my Tivo addled life. But for some reason, when I went to plug
the power in, at first the unit didn't come on. After some hard
scratching of my head, I noticed that I had half knocked loose the
ribbon connection to the front lights and IR receiver. Once I reseated
the cable, the Tivo came alive again. Just when I thought the worst was
over, I went to the remote to start watching TV again. This was when I
found out that the Tivo unit was not responding to the remote, which
makes the Tivo quite useless since I can't do anything. The remote is
good since it was able to turn the TV on and off as well as affect the
TV in other desired ways when testing the remote. But just to be sure
it wasn't the remote, I did a reset on the remote (which makes it not
communicate to the TV until I reprogram it again). Another thing I
noticed that it doesn't seem to be doing is record. I am stuck on one
channel but presume that the channel would change when the unit goes
to record another show on other channels, but have not observed that.
Sorry if this is getting long but I am running short of hairs on top of
my head and my Tivo is still unresponsive. Anyone got any ideas? It was
working until the last hard drive swap.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 6:10:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <1113793789.226523.187030@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Ogre01 <zoink@email.com> wrote:

> My bigger hard drive died the other night so I got another replacement
> and cloned again from my original. Then I plugged in the original to
> give it a chance to update to the newest OS version. Everything went
> well. When that completed, I plugged in my new replacement drive to
> resume my Tivo addled life. But for some reason, when I went to plug
> the power in, at first the unit didn't come on. After some hard
> scratching of my head, I noticed that I had half knocked loose the
> ribbon connection to the front lights and IR receiver. Once I reseated
> the cable, the Tivo came alive again. Just when I thought the worst was
> over, I went to the remote to start watching TV again. This was when I
> found out that the Tivo unit was not responding to the remote, which
> makes the Tivo quite useless since I can't do anything. The remote is
> good since it was able to turn the TV on and off as well as affect the
> TV in other desired ways when testing the remote. But just to be sure
> it wasn't the remote, I did a reset on the remote (which makes it not
> communicate to the TV until I reprogram it again). Another thing I
> noticed that it doesn't seem to be doing is record. I am stuck on one
> channel but presume that the channel would change when the unit goes
> to record another show on other channels, but have not observed that.
> Sorry if this is getting long but I am running short of hairs on top of
> my head and my Tivo is still unresponsive. Anyone got any ideas? It was
> working until the last hard drive swap.
>


You could have damaged the TiVo's remote control sensor while doing the
swap. Try checking the cable that leads to it.

First, though, you might try changing the batteries in the remote and
cleaning both the remote's IR bulb and the clear plastic over the
receptor in the TiVo. All of that's a lot simpler, and it might even
work.
April 18, 2005 3:13:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I did take the front panel off and check the sensor but didn't see any
damage there, but I'll have to check the cable. Thanks for suggestion.

Regarding the remote, how do you get into that housing short of taking
the remote apart? Now the remote did work to operate the TV after the
Tivo acted up so I didn't think that was the problem.
Related resources
April 18, 2005 4:56:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 02:10:36 -0400, "Dr. Personality"
<affable@no.com.invalid> wrote:

>In article <1113793789.226523.187030@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>Ogre01 <zoink@email.com> wrote:
>
>> My bigger hard drive died the other night so I got another replacement
>> and cloned again from my original. Then I plugged in the original to
>> give it a chance to update to the newest OS version. Everything went
>> well. When that completed, I plugged in my new replacement drive to
>> resume my Tivo addled life. But for some reason, when I went to plug
>> the power in, at first the unit didn't come on. After some hard
>> scratching of my head, I noticed that I had half knocked loose the
>> ribbon connection to the front lights and IR receiver. Once I reseated
>> the cable, the Tivo came alive again. Just when I thought the worst was
>> over, I went to the remote to start watching TV again. This was when I
>> found out that the Tivo unit was not responding to the remote, which
>> makes the Tivo quite useless since I can't do anything. The remote is
>> good since it was able to turn the TV on and off as well as affect the
>> TV in other desired ways when testing the remote. But just to be sure
>> it wasn't the remote, I did a reset on the remote (which makes it not
>> communicate to the TV until I reprogram it again). Another thing I
>> noticed that it doesn't seem to be doing is record. I am stuck on one
>> channel but presume that the channel would change when the unit goes
>> to record another show on other channels, but have not observed that.
>> Sorry if this is getting long but I am running short of hairs on top of
>> my head and my Tivo is still unresponsive. Anyone got any ideas? It was
>> working until the last hard drive swap.
>>
>
>
>You could have damaged the TiVo's remote control sensor while doing the
>swap. Try checking the cable that leads to it.
>
>First, though, you might try changing the batteries in the remote and
>cleaning both the remote's IR bulb and the clear plastic over the
>receptor in the TiVo. All of that's a lot simpler, and it might even
>work.


Juts order yoru cable co's DVR. Stop getting ripped off by Tivo.

Sean
April 18, 2005 11:36:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

* Sean Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> yoru

What?

--
David
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:28:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <1113848019.142647.69550@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Ogre01 <zoink@email.com> wrote:

> I did take the front panel off and check the sensor but didn't see any
> damage there, but I'll have to check the cable. Thanks for suggestion.
>
> Regarding the remote, how do you get into that housing short of taking
> the remote apart? Now the remote did work to operate the TV after the
> Tivo acted up so I didn't think that was the problem.
>

You don't need to get into the housing to clean the bulb on the nose of
the remote. Opening the remote is a *nasty* procedure; it's held
together by snaps in six or eight places. Avoid doing it if you can.

Since you say that the remote still commands the TV, I agree that the
remote is not likely the problem. Cleaning the bulb couldn't hurt,
though.
April 19, 2005 12:42:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Ok, gave the nose of the remote a clean but still no go. Didn't get a
chance to check the ribbon, will have to do that tomorrow. Also didn't
notice the Tivo changing the channel to record. Hope nothing else has
gone wrong.
April 19, 2005 12:45:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

It does have the slide switch and it's set to 1. Have switched it
during my other tests. Thinking it's more inside the box now then the
remote. since it happened just after I did the Hard disk swap which
incidentally was also when I knocked the ribbon to the IR receiver
loose. Have to get a closer look at that cable and hope I didn't do any
damage. Would anyone know where to get one of those, if that does prove
to be the problem, or just spare parts for the Tivo?
April 19, 2005 1:18:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Thanks Seth. That pretty much describes my exactly occurance. I had
knocked it loose without seeing it and powered up just to hear a click
sound. Then when I reopened to check what's wrong, reseated the ribbon
and now, no remote response. Guess it time for a new Tivo. Does anyone
know if I can change out the main board and the IR receiver and not
have the Tivo software "know" anything has changed or is the software
married to the hardware?
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:25:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Ogre01" <zoink@email.com> wrote in message news:1113848019.142647.69550@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> I did take the front panel off and check the sensor but didn't see any
> damage there, but I'll have to check the cable. Thanks for suggestion.
>
> Regarding the remote, how do you get into that housing short of taking
> the remote apart? Now the remote did work to operate the TV after the
> Tivo acted up so I didn't think that was the problem.
>

Does your TiVo remote control have a slide switch just below the Slow button?
If so, is it in the correct position?
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 7:53:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Ogre01 wrote:
> But for some reason, when I went to plug
> the power in, at first the unit didn't come on. After some hard
> scratching of my head, I noticed that I had half knocked loose the
> ribbon connection to the front lights and IR receiver. Once I reseated
> the cable, the Tivo came alive again. Just when I thought the worst was
> over, I went to the remote to start watching TV again. This was when I
> found out that the Tivo unit was not responding to the remote,

In the worst-case scenario, part of the motherboard is zapped.

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9....

9) Pull your new large upgrade drive and place in TiVo to test Backup.

Warning for Series 2 models: - When placing or removing your hard
drives within your TiVo, be careful not to disturb the flat white
ribbon cable running from the front panel to the TiVo motherboard.
It has been reported that powering up your TiVo with this white
ribbon cable unseated or not fully connected may cause permanent
harm to some newer Series 2 models.
April 19, 2005 8:02:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Ogre01" <zoink@email.com> wrote in message
news:1113882340.648681.57150@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> It does have the slide switch and it's set to 1. Have switched it
> during my other tests. Thinking it's more inside the box now then the
> remote. since it happened just after I did the Hard disk swap which
> incidentally was also when I knocked the ribbon to the IR receiver
> loose. Have to get a closer look at that cable and hope I didn't do any
> damage. Would anyone know where to get one of those, if that does prove
> to be the problem, or just spare parts for the Tivo?

IIRC, powering the TiVo up with the ribbon cable in question askew does some
internal damage to the system.

This link I found while doing a Google search (keywords "tivo front ribbon
cable") seems to confirm my memory...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/printthread.php?t=...
April 19, 2005 9:22:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Yeah, been reading that and my situation seems to confirm it. But upon
reading the link from Seth further, it seems that there may be a
solution. Involves some soldering but seems simple enough to do. Gonna
try and will report back if problem solved.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:11:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <lNydnffoO_exfvnfRVn-1A@comcast.com>,
Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> wrote:

> Ogre01 wrote:
> > But for some reason, when I went to plug
> > the power in, at first the unit didn't come on. After some hard
> > scratching of my head, I noticed that I had half knocked loose the
> > ribbon connection to the front lights and IR receiver. Once I reseated
> > the cable, the Tivo came alive again. Just when I thought the worst was
> > over, I went to the remote to start watching TV again. This was when I
> > found out that the Tivo unit was not responding to the remote,
>
> In the worst-case scenario, part of the motherboard is zapped.
>
> http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9....
>
> 9) Pull your new large upgrade drive and place in TiVo to test Backup.
>
> Warning for Series 2 models: - When placing or removing your hard
> drives within your TiVo, be careful not to disturb the flat white
> ribbon cable running from the front panel to the TiVo motherboard.
> It has been reported that powering up your TiVo with this white
> ribbon cable unseated or not fully connected may cause permanent
> harm to some newer Series 2 models.

and that harm is killing the IR function !
April 20, 2005 8:05:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <1113882340.648681.57150@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, "Ogre01" <zoink@email.com> wrote:
>It does have the slide switch and it's set to 1. Have switched it
>during my other tests. Thinking it's more inside the box now then the
>remote. since it happened just after I did the Hard disk swap which
>incidentally was also when I knocked the ribbon to the IR receiver
>loose. Have to get a closer look at that cable and hope I didn't do any
>damage. Would anyone know where to get one of those, if that does prove
>to be the problem, or just spare parts for the Tivo?
>


You may have damaged the unit......

see below




http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9....

9) Pull your new large upgrade drive and place in TiVo to test Backup.

"Warning for Series 2 models: - When placing or removing your hard drives
within your TiVo, be careful not to disturb the flat white ribbon cable
running from the front panel to the TiVo motherboard. It has been reported
that powering up your TiVo with this white ribbon cable unseated or not fully
connected may cause permanent harm to some newer Series 2 models. "
April 20, 2005 3:22:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Ogre01" <zoink@email.com> wrote in message
news:1113884327.697991.266530@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks Seth. That pretty much describes my exactly occurance. I had
> knocked it loose without seeing it and powered up just to hear a click
> sound. Then when I reopened to check what's wrong, reseated the ribbon
> and now, no remote response. Guess it time for a new Tivo. Does anyone
> know if I can change out the main board and the IR receiver and not
> have the Tivo software "know" anything has changed or is the software
> married to the hardware?

If you have a lifetime subscription, it is tied to the mainboard.
April 21, 2005 1:14:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Well, crackers. Thanks again Seth. I did read on in the Tivo community
thread and apparently someone figured out a potential fix. Going to try
that one of these days. Can't do anymore damage now, given it's present
state.
April 22, 2005 10:21:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Ogre01" <zoink@email.com> wrote in message
news:1113882340.648681.57150@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> It does have the slide switch and it's set to 1. Have switched it
> during my other tests. Thinking it's more inside the box now then the
> remote. since it happened just after I did the Hard disk swap which
> incidentally was also when I knocked the ribbon to the IR receiver
> loose. Have to get a closer look at that cable and hope I didn't do any
> damage. Would anyone know where to get one of those, if that does prove
> to be the problem, or just spare parts for the Tivo?

IIRC, powering the TiVo up with the ribbon cable in question askew does some
internal damage to the system.

This link I found while doing a Google search (keywords "tivo front ribbon
cable") seems to confirm my memory...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/printthread.php?t=...
April 25, 2005 12:20:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Well, followed the suggestions on the Tivo Community and replaced the
"fuse" and L30 with a wire and now it's back to Tivo Remote action
again. However, now I'm faced with a Season Pass of programs to record
but Tivo says no upcoming shows? I know I had it off for a week or so
so maybe it needs time to resync the program list. Hope it's just that
simple.
April 25, 2005 7:28:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Ogre01" <zoink@email.com> wrote in message
news:1114399220.763424.178030@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Well, followed the suggestions on the Tivo Community and replaced the
> "fuse" and L30 with a wire and now it's back to Tivo Remote action
> again. However, now I'm faced with a Season Pass of programs to record
> but Tivo says no upcoming shows? I know I had it off for a week or so
> so maybe it needs time to resync the program list. Hope it's just that
> simple.

Yup. Do a daily call and wait for the data to process.
April 25, 2005 11:45:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <1114399220.763424.178030@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "Ogre01" <zoink@email.com> wrote:
>Well, followed the suggestions on the Tivo Community and replaced the
>"fuse" and L30 with a wire and now it's back to Tivo Remote action
>again. However, now I'm faced with a Season Pass of programs to record
>but Tivo says no upcoming shows? I know I had it off for a week or so
>so maybe it needs time to resync the program list. Hope it's just that
>simple.
>
Yes, force a daily call in the setup menu and it will start to redo the guide
list.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 12:12:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Ogre01 wrote:
> Well, followed the suggestions on the Tivo Community and replaced the
> "fuse" and L30 with a wire and now it's back to Tivo Remote action
> again.

Wow, good fixin'! ;-). Best to be more careful when working on the
innards in the future though.

> However, now I'm faced with a Season Pass of programs to record
> but Tivo says no upcoming shows? I know I had it off for a week or so
> so maybe it needs time to resync the program list. Hope it's just that
> simple.
>

Probably is, as others have noted.

Randy S.
!