Low Profile, Low PSU Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

lixtetraxx

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hi, I am currently looking to buy a graphic card for an old pc that I got from a friend. Its the HP dc7800, it has 8gb DDR2 of memory, a 240w PSU and its the small form factor model.

Its hard to decide which card to choose since there is almost nothing good for this kind of set up. The 240w PSU and LOw profile capacity limit me a lot.

At first I was interested in the EVGA GeForce GT 640 but on their web site they recommend a 350 watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 20 amps on the +12 volt rail. I only have a 240w with , I think, 7.5 AMp on the 12v rail.

Then I found the EVGA GeForce GT 520 with 2gb DDR3 but it say that I need a minimum of 300w...

I really don't know what to do and I can't get a new system right now.

So what would be the best card for this kind of system?

Use: Autodesk Maya, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe Illustrator CS6 (Only small projects)
Budget: Not important but under 150$ would be great

Here is the HP Spec
HP dc7800 Small Form Factor
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06a/12454-12454-64287-3328898-3328898-3459241.html?dnr=1

Thanks

Solution
There are a lot of 7750s that are low profile and need no more power than drawn from the PCIe slot. That's going to be your best option, I think. (But 7.5 amps is just... sad.)

Don't pay any attention to what the cards say they need as a power supply - they're ALWAYS higher than needed, because they presume a crappy power supply. (Though yours probably is a crappy OEM psu, so...)

EDIT: And you want to buy THIS generation (7k or 600 series) because they're leaps and bounds ahead of last gen when it comes to power draw and efficiency. It's white and black.
There are a lot of 7750s that are low profile and need no more power than drawn from the PCIe slot. That's going to be your best option, I think. (But 7.5 amps is just... sad.)

Don't pay any attention to what the cards say they need as a power supply - they're ALWAYS higher than needed, because they presume a crappy power supply. (Though yours probably is a crappy OEM psu, so...)

EDIT: And you want to buy THIS generation (7k or 600 series) because they're leaps and bounds ahead of last gen when it comes to power draw and efficiency. It's white and black.

Solution

lixtetraxx

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
EDIT: And you want to buy THIS generation (7k or 600 series) because they're leaps and bounds ahead of last gen when it comes to power draw and efficiency. It's white and black.[/quotemsg]

Ok so a 7750 but what do you mean by (7k or 600 series)? Radeon HD 7750 or 600? Also where would be the best place to order such cards?

Also, I saw someone saying in this forum to choose Saphire 7750 over Powercolor, but I would need a dual display setup so is the Powercolor a good choice?

lixtetraxx

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013

Ok thanks m8

Status
Not open for further replies.