Sign in with
Your question

Amd display driver has stopped responding and recovered

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 5, 2013 7:16:29 PM

so ive been having this problem for a while now where, when playing most of my games, after between an 30-60 minutes of playing a game it will either, crash to desktop (saints row, crysis 3, sleepingdogs,hitman absolution) or begin freeze, go black, resume playing, and repeat every couple of minutes(sim city, kingdoms of amalur, sims, batman arkham city, skyrim). Currently the only two games i can play without any crashes are deus ex HR, and the witcher 2 (both on max)

At first I thought may be because im playing gpu intensive games but i seem to get a stable framerate for the most part and my tempatures have never gone above around 65.
a large majority of these games were playable before i bought my new graphics card but now refuse to play for an extended period of time.

I switched from an intergrated graphics card too an amd radeon hd 7770. i have 1.5 tb of hard drive space and 10gb of ram, as well as a 750w psu and amd fx 6100

Is may graphics card faulty or am i failing to notice a problem, also could this be the cause of a virus?
March 6, 2013 12:24:32 AM

I have the same exact series of display card, MSI R7770 gHz Edition, and was having the same problem when playing games. It will occasionally black screen and recover when playing Path of Exile, but when the new Simcity came out yesterday, it will constantly crash and recover within seconds. Pissed me off to no end.

I made sure the driver was the latest one from AMD, hell the driver updated itself and it still crashes constantly.
m
l
March 6, 2013 1:02:56 AM

Forgot to mention the rig is running on AMD Athlon X2 6000+ CPU

the same games played on my laptop with i5 and GT330M works fine with no crashes
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2013 2:12:29 AM

I also have a same problem... When im playing Crysis 2 automatically crashed to dekstop... my GPU is ASUS HD 7770 Direct CU Top 1GB DDR5
m
l
March 6, 2013 2:16:29 AM

Check your temperature and more importantly, your fans. Sounds like your system is overheating.
m
l
March 6, 2013 2:26:32 AM

The card never saw temps of over 50. It couldnt. Once the game started it instantly crashes.
m
l
Anonymous
March 8, 2013 12:07:45 PM

I had this problem too.

I do have a temporary SOLUTION:

Tune down your graphics card's performance (aka give less power to it, this can be done through the AMD Catalyst Control Center.). If you have been overclocking, tune the overclock down or disable it completely.

This helped for me, although I have to run SimCity with lower graphics settings now, it runs stable.
AMD probably will release a driver update for this sooner or later. (They release new driver packages for new game releases every month; These are not in the normal driver packages!, they are often added alot later in the "normal" packages.

P.S. These crashes don't have anything to do with the bad server connections
m
l
March 8, 2013 12:23:29 PM

At least some that can play only a few game
m
l
November 29, 2013 10:39:18 PM

DONOT HIBERNATE

I was having similar issues in my Vaio, with ATI Radeon HD 5650 1GB. I tried running temperature tests, driver updates, Memtest for RAM and even a full wipe of Win 7. Nothing seemed to be working. And then one fine day I noticed, when my system woke up from hibernation, the performance was so bad. with full choppy display and BSOD over BSOD. So i went to the power options and DISABLED all HIBERNATION actions. Even for the critical battery action i put the action as "shutdown" and not hibernate.

So my solution is to check all your power option settings and if there is any action to "hibernate" change it. To "shutdown" preferably. I hope this will help.
m
l
!