AHCI Issue--delay with keyboard turning on at Welcome screen

icefrog

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Got an odd PC issue I need some crowd sourcing on. New PC loads fast, I mean it boots windows in less than 20 seconds. Problem is boots so fast cannot interact with welcome screen for a few seconds. Keyboard is not active to allow me to put in my passwords, mouse is active. I can live with it but I notice it.

G15 keyboard connected via USB, no PS2 port on mobo. Optical drives not set up in BIOS as secondary boot drives only SSD. Seen some forum posts about opticals having problems. Updated drivers on everything. Just unsure of what I am missing.

I ran the System File Checker (SFC) utility. Minor issue with the CBS log, which should not impact my issue
I killed the optical drives in the boot order in the UEFI BIOS, but still getting a delay. Funny thing is there is no delay while in BIOS with keyboard, ONLY after OS loads ups and waiting for me to input passwords. AHCI is my SATA controller, in boot all other drives disabled. Clean install only 6-days old with all new parts listed below. No GUI boot/tried with GUI same issue. Drivers all up to date.

Build:
Mobo: ASUS LGA 1155 - Z68 - PCIe 3.0 and UEFI BIOS Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 LGA 1155 Motherboards P8Z68-V/GEN3 (*OC'd to 4.2)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
CPU Cooling Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
Memory: Corsair 16 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600mhz PC3-12800 240-pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit 16 Dual Channel Kit - CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Superclocked 1280 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Dual DVI/HDMI/Display Port SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 012-P3-1573-AR
Optical: Asus 24xDVD±RW Serial ATA Internal (2)
Media Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX
Boot Drive: Samsung 830 - Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 128 GB 2.5 Inch SATA III MLC Internal SSD Desktop
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer USB 3.0 Mid Tower ATX Case
Case Fan [Rear]: SilverStone Air Penetrator Air Channeling Case Fan 120*120*25mm/1500rpm AP121 (Black)
Case Fan [Top]: Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling
PSU: Seasonic 80Plus Power Supply M12II 620 BRONZE
Misc: Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack; Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard (Black), Razer Deathadder Infrared Gaming Mouse (RZ01-00151400-R3); Dual Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" LED LCD Monitor - 16:10 - 8 ms + Samsung SyncMaster 220WM 22" LCD Monitor. WD external back-up HD.

It's about a 10 second delay just waiting for the keyboard to activate. Any ideas?

Solution
Possibly, or the OS reset the usb ports for some reason. I have a saitek eclipse lighted keyboard and I notice my lights come on breifly, then turn off, then turn back on a second or two later.

icefrog

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Thank you for the link. I use Microsoft Security Essentials, no issue with this in the event viewer.

Keyboard drivers load up pretty early in the process. Are you sure your virus scanner or other program or service isn't still starting up and blocking the rest of the system temporarily

Nothing is popping out in the boot degradation views except build day issue and a random Firefox update a few days ago.

Check your event viewer. Sometimes it will show a process that is taking too long to load. Here is some help in creating custom views in the viewer for boot times.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/w [...] times/3253

I did note today that my keyboard is turning on because the number lock light is on. However, no LCD and the keyboard isn't lit up and it isn't allowing inputs to the OS. Could this be a driver issue with the Keyboard?

BCthebest

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
How was this issue resolved? I am having the exact same problem. Drivers up to date, system performing well, but I have to wait at the login screen. As a side note, neither my mouse nor keyboard is active at this time, and the original issue just relates to the keyboard.

icefrog

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Actually I did not get it resolved at all. My BIOS has the legacy usb device enabled, I tried Auto setting too. No dice. Nothing I have tried actually has worked. I am waiting for my Das Keyboard to arrive on Friday. I was hoping it is a Keyboard issue. At least I can explain that to my wife when I told her I bought a keyboard for 100 bucks. :lol:

If your bios has a setting for legacy usb device or something similar, try enabling it. This should allow the PC to recognize the keyboard before windows even loads.

I still have no clue. I have literally worked several hours on this issue. Way more than waiting the extra 10 seconds at the welcome screen is worth. Oh it's annoying as hell, but since I can't resolve it I don't know what else to do but to just take it.

icefrog

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Okay I got a fix that actually works. I uninstalled all the USB drivers + the Logitech software gaming panel software + driver. Restarted PC, works like a dream. I am stilling getting my keyboard on Friday however. Just do not tell my wife I got it working! :sol:

A. Click on Start
B. Right Click on My Computer, click on Properties
C.Click on the Hardware tab
D. Click the Device Manager button.
E. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers section.
F. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
G. Restart the computer, and allow the computer to reinstall the USB controllers.
H. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

For more information on Troubleshooting USB device problems, visit the MS Support page on this issue

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575

Archie777

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I was having a similar issue where both the mouse and keyboard wouldn't respond for about 5-10 seconds at the Windows 7 login screen. After turning off the power to my external USB hard drive I no longer had the problem (restarted 3 times to verify). Maybe try disconnecting other USB devices from the system and see if the delay goes away.

klepp0906

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
Remove any usb stick u have plugged in during restart or log in. Or disable xhci. I know using usb3 when I have a usb2 stick in on restart will delay me about 5 seconds.

Instead of turning off usb3 I just make sure the stick isn't in on restart.

Garauntee it's caused by a usb device or setting