GTX Titan Question

t2r4ne

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hi i just bought the ASUS GTX Titan from Microcenter today and paid $1,139 for it. When they look up the information for the card, it says i had a baseclock/coreclock of 915Mhz i believe (i rmb it being in the 900mhz area; didnt quite rmb the number properly).

When i check the evga ones online, even the superclocked ones for the titan were only 876mhz for the base clock & only $1069.

Did i just pay a premium at Microcenter for this card that was displaying false information?? because if i did, i will return it tomorrow! OR does ASUS Titans just have a faster baseclock??

Please Help me with this! :(

t2r4ne

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Yes thats the one i bought. I guess i must have misread it or they put the wrong info in then.

Well im getting a second one right now from ebay; since they are out of stock everywhere. I manage to get the last one from microcenter.

Is it possible to sli it even though if the one i buy from ebay doesnt have the same baseclock. Its still an Asus. .. (also for future reference, can you sli two GPUs that are off different base clocks and different manufacturers?.. like lets say, i get a Evga GTX titan superclocked signature & an asus GTX titan (that is factory overclocked)

t2r4ne

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Also there was an Evga GTX titan at the store when i checked today (it was out of stock though), the price was $999. Why is there over a hundred dollars difference between the two? :S

pete123edgar

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
It's just different brand having different pricing, like there are a couple of evga gtx titan with different clocks and water cooling back plate. Another thing is, don't waste $1000 on another gtx titan, that is overkill unless you are running couple of monitors, its your choice though, but its better to use that and buy better sound system, higher screen resolution (just my 2 cent though).

I'm sorry, but who has that much money and wants to spend it on a computer and doesn't know these things?

I don't mean to come across as a troll, but I just don't understand. What are you even doing that could possibly require two Titans?

(And yes. You can crossfire or SLI two cards that are completely different manufacturers and clocks - the faster one will downclock.) Why are you buying "overclocked" titans, though? Just do it yourself.

t2r4ne

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Alright ok, apparently faith has decided that i wont be able to purchase another titan. which is probably a good thing. Seeing i guess one titan is enough for now (GTX 680 Sli would have been a better choice)

But the titan is an amazing card according to the reviews. Ill be gaming on my yamakasi catleap 1440 OC to 120hz.

I was just thinkin maybe gettin a second titan will help me get all the games I play at 100+ fps at that resolution in monitor (ultra ultra max!).. i guess ill just buy another one down the road when the prices hopefully come down!..

Thank you all for your help :)

You are on the right track. I also will be getting a large monitor (2560X1600) and SLI Titans are needed for the best experience. Tri and quad 680's or dual 690's just don't do well. And let's not mention CF AMD's. The Titans do really well in dual SLI, even with these new drivers, and are your best bet. Get that second card for the best of the best in gaming.

t2r4ne

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Two more things; i heard that, in terms of RAM, going from 1600MHz memory to 2400MHz memory, for example, can give you anywhere from 0% to 15% increase in framerate and that you can see the effects of higher memory on the physics score in 3dmark.

I have a G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ). Is it wise to maybe upgrade to a faster speed card? or maybe even quad channel card for the same memory. (CPU: i-3770k, Mobo: Z77 Mpower)

RussK1

Splendid

You do know MicroCenter price matches don't you?

t2r4ne

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
I actually did not know that. Ok well ill probably head over there again maybe tomorrow, since they are having new product shipments tomorrow. Hopefully more titans will arrive. I think ill change my Asus Titan with an Evga one. The reviews for Evga are much better and im using Evga Precision X to overclock.

RussK1

Splendid

I'm a MC pro... just go in and use their computers and find the cheapest site and they'll match it. Of course you'll pay sales tax and gas.