Just plugged hdmi into desktop. Nothing happens at windows

DM36

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
New build

Works fine on a monitor. Hook into my HDTV, which I plan to also use for gaming back and forth, and after the ASRock Z77 Pro4 screen shows up fine on the HDTV, it just goes black. No signal after that.

i'm assuming it is a graphics card issue, or a setting I need to adjust.

My GPU is an AMD Sapphire HD-7870 XT.

Also tried plugging into the motherboard, which also has an hdmi outlet, and that does not work either.

Anyone have a quick solution?

popatim

Titan
are you doing a fresh boot up after connecting to the tv?
You may need to look up your tv's supported resolutions and use the monitor to select one and then shutdown and move to the tv and boot back up. I used to have a monitor that ran at 1050 which my tv did not support so I changed it to 720 which both supported and then once I got it working on the tv I changed it to 1080. All good now.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you're getting a BIOS screen and then a "No Signal" message or just a blank screen, it's a resolution issue. As popatim states, you need to find a resolution (and frequency) that your HDTV will accept from your PC graphics card.

-Wolf sends

DM36

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Okay, I got it to work soon after making this post, by plugging in the monitor, and messing with the resolution for my hdtv. All was good. Had the hdmi plugged into the GPU, and monitor plugged into the motherboard for a tme.

Last night I needed to move my monitor, so I unplugged it.

So I did that, now my computer will not recognize either my hdtv OR my monitor.

I am feeling really stuck on what to do now, since windows 8 does not boot into safe mode.

I can see the uefi screen fine on either the hdtv or the monitor.

I've tried every configuration. Monitor in MOBO, hdtv to gpu, vice versa, monitor only with no hdtv in both mobo or gpu, hdtv only with no monitor plugged in to either the mobo or gpu. Nothing works.

On some of these configurations, the monitor will get a screen afterwards with a blinking cursor.

No way to boot up safe mode either, since im on windows 8. that is unless anyone has any knowledge f a way to do so, since F8 sure isnt working.

bonesnapper

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
i am going through the same issue with a XFX 7950. i got it to work a little bit with my mobo hdmi port once, but never again. i'm really hoping this issue can be resolved.