HELP! zotac Gtx 650 crash after driver instalation at login screen

gamepoint

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Hello,
today i recieved my gtx 650
and i started it, worked fine until i installed driver and restarted it then on login it crashed restarted again again this way.
i started safe mode it worked fine there. and uninstalled driver worked fine but driver install it crashes at login again

i have c2d e7400 2.80 ghz, 2 gb ram ddr2 and odyssey 450w.
i checked odyssey sticker and it is 12v on 10a
now i wanted at least 400w psu with 12v on 20a under 1500 rs.
i saw zebraonics and vip was very low on price.
which would be able to run my card or any other cheap good psu

edit: is this really psu problem or driver problem

Solution
Ok so I just did a little math here and your GPU at maximum can draw ~5.33 amps (64W / 12V = ~5.333 amps).

The TDP of your processor is 65W maximum so it's maximum amperage is 5.4167. In total both CPU+GPU at maximum can draw 10.7497 amps. Essentially what this should mean is that yes you should be having issues if you only have one single +12V rail but you should only be having issues while playing a seriously intensive game or doing something like running Folding@home.

EDIT: The exception to this would be if your power supply can't actually run at its rated 10amps in which case yes it is entirely your PSU that is at fault.

Janny1993UK

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Hmm well don't think it's the graphic card as you said it works fine on safe mode. Might be PSU or just drivers but im no expert. I'm sure someone with more experience will answer :)

gamepoint

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

first uninstalled old driver turned off pc then installed card then
installed driver from cd that came with my zotac gtx 650

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

Well first off if you're going to buy a PSU you might as well get a decent 550W or something similar. In any case, at least make sure to buy either a Corsair or Seasonic PSU as they tend to be the two best brands (yes Antec and OCZ have good models as well but in my experience Corsair and Seasonic are the absolute best).

Having said all that I'm not entirely sure your problem is power delivery, anyway. If you refer to the official (from nvidia) Thermal Design Limit for the GTX 650 it's only 64W which means the card is only capable of drawing 64 watts of power MAXIMUM under its most heavily loaded state. While installing drivers or sitting at desktop the GPU isn't honestly doing much and as such isn't drawing hardly any power.

So for your problem, I have a funny story for you; my last computer was actually a core 2 duo system and I was having this issue where if I tried to install AMD's official drivers in Windows 7 it would crash and BSOD every time it tried to "detect my graphics card". Needless to say I thought I had a defective video card. Well, three GPU RMA's later and a lot of testing it turned out that the north bridge on my motherboard was actually at fault and causing my computer to have "graphics" issues.

Long story short, it might not be your GPU or your PSU. Try putting the GTX 650 in a different computer to test it and find out if you're having issues with the card or the other components in your system.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

You should always download and install the latest drivers directly from nvidia's website as supplied driver CD's use old versions of driver software that are outdated and are therefore obsolete.

Link to nvidia's official drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

gamepoint

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

if my motherboard is faulty then how it runs 9400gt fine.

gamepoint

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

i also installed 310.90 driver but no luck

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

Good point and pretty much exactly what I said to myself when I went from my old geforce to the new radeon.

Well, like I said if it's possible try testing the card in another computer to see if it's bad or not.

Otherwise, you might want to try uninstalling all of your nvidia driver software then running Treexy Driver Fusion before installing the new nvidia drivers to cleanup any remnants of old drivers that might be causing your current situation. (EDIT: Don't worry about paying for Driver Fusion, the free version works fine and is all you need.)

gamepoint

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

do u think it is actually not a psu problem here

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

Well, it'd help to actually have the model of PSU that you're using but yes it's possible that the PSU isn't the source of the problem. The reason why I'm leaning toward this reasoning is because you're having issues essentially while doing nothing with the GPU. If you were getting crashes every time you got one minute into Battlefield 3 or Crysis then yes I'd think it was a PSU issue.

Relevant information to this thread would, however, be in knowing if you only have one single +12V rail or if you have two or three +12V rails rated @10 amps because one +12V rail at 10 amps is pretty weak but if you had multiple rails it might not be an issue.

gamepoint

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

it has only one 12v rail with 10a and do u think after installing driver card uses full capability by using more power.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Ok so I just did a little math here and your GPU at maximum can draw ~5.33 amps (64W / 12V = ~5.333 amps).

The TDP of your processor is 65W maximum so it's maximum amperage is 5.4167. In total both CPU+GPU at maximum can draw 10.7497 amps. Essentially what this should mean is that yes you should be having issues if you only have one single +12V rail but you should only be having issues while playing a seriously intensive game or doing something like running Folding@home.

EDIT: The exception to this would be if your power supply can't actually run at its rated 10amps in which case yes it is entirely your PSU that is at fault.

Solution

gamepoint

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

it is odyssey brand and now i think it is actually giving low amperes then listed on it.
i actually previously had bestec 180w which was 12v on 11a (14a peak) which burned a year after installing 9400gt

edit: i saw that 12v 10a at the side of that its saying total wattage 350w

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

Well I'd have to say my advice to you would be to get a quality 550-750W PSU with good efficiency (80plus bronze/gold). Like I said though you do still need to find out if the video card is defective that way you can know for sure if it's the PSU or the GPU or something else entirely; but either way it sounds like you're going to have issues if you keep using your current power supply.

gamepoint

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

any other software that can help me to see if the card is defective or not.
i cant test other computer as my all friends having low wattage psu.

edit: i already spent large money on this card now i dont want to spent money on a psu after it will not work either
Also can u sggest me good cheap 400w psu equal or below 1500rs.
i saw vip 400w gold is it any good (actually i dont have money for expensive psu)

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Well there isn't really any software to test for GPU hardware failures and testing for software failure is pretty straight-forward but that doesn't sound like your issue. What you can do is take an old PSU or one of your friends PSU's and use it to ONLY power the GPU (I do believe that your GPU uses one single 6-pin PCIe power connector). How you do this is by tricking the second PSU to power on by using the paperclip method (Link: http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-power-supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components ).

As for PSU recommendations, the FSP Raider 80Plus Bronze 450W is pretty much the best you can get for around $55 USD.

This anandtech article might be a good read for you if you end up needing to buy a cheap PSU. As I live in the U.S. availability for products will vary where you're at so if it's possible for you, try to get one of the PSUs that have an award on this article.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6013/350450w-roundup-11-cheap-psus/23

gamepoint

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

i saw that vip 400w gold gives 21a on 12v and is also a good indian brand and is cheap. will it be enough for gtx 650

edit: i registered me zotac gtx 650 now i have 3yrs warranty, now i dont have to worry about card manufacturer defect.

Kamakzie

Honorable
May 1, 2013

gamepoint I have this same issue with my EVGA GTX 650. I confirmed that the MOBO was fine by putting in my old XFX 9800GT and it works fine. I am currently RMAing the card to EVGA for replacement. I'm hoping its not a waste of time. I have a XFX 1050watt PSU so I'm sure its not the PSU unit. I was curious what ever happened with your problem? Did you RMA the card too? If so how did it turn out?? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

gamepoint

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

till this day i have not used this card, when i said to seller that the card is having that problem, he said it will be a psu problem(bought from ebay). i have shortage of money for new psu but jointing money for new psu but u have this problem too. now i am worried if my card is faulty. now when u return the card and if incase ur replacement works then please post it here.

Kamakzie

Honorable
May 1, 2013

Yup seems like the next best step.

gamepoint

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

for my clearification was ur card crashing(NO BSOD) at login screen with a beep sound(like system gives at startup) and restarts only when driver is installed and works good in safe mode without driver.