GTX 670 FTW vs HD 7970

zaxxon

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
So, I'm doing research to buy a card in about a month but I have some questions I havent been able to answer. My budget is about $400. I am not really a fan boy of either brand, I'm just looking to get the best value for my money. My Resolution, for the time being, will be 1080p, but I figure if I ever add another monitor, I would either add another card while I was at it, or just run it off of a Discrete GPU. I also do plan to attempt at least a moddest overclock, though 1.2 GHz sounds pretty sweet.

So, for the Geforce card, I am sold on the EVGA FTW models. I might go for the signature2 but I'm not sure about that yet. Either way, I'm not really looking for a different brand.

For the Radeon, I'm looking at Sapphire and XFX as the leaders, but I'm not sure as I have usually dealt with geforce in the past.

So far, what I have found is a bit confusing. At first, the 7970 was behind the 670, but now newer drivers seem to put it over a 680? I also know the 670 FTW preforms about the same as a stock 680.

Looking at pricing, I can get a FTW for less than an pre overclocked 7970 non ghz, at like $380 for the geforce and $390 for the 7970. Doing research has told me that the FTW can overclock higher than the 7970 non GHz, but unfortunately, I realized half of what I have read is now out of date, so that may no longer be true.

I am considering a 7970 GHz and wondering if it is that much better than the FTW. I know it is better, but how much? Is it worth the $60?

Also, I notice a few cards have major differences in memory clock speed. Does this make a difference? Am I reading it wrong? Sometimes they are in the 6000MHz zone(670), but sometimes it is more like 1500MHz(7970).

And on top of that, does a FTW with 4GB ram make a big difference? I can get a FTW+ 4GB for the same price as a GHz. All I have seen is people saying RAM is for resolution, but I also know games like Crysis use a lot of it, and I would hate to be limited by the 2GB on the FTW a year or two down the road. I plan to use it to play lots of games, but I'm also a designer, so the extra ram could be helpful when rendering high poly models.

crakocaine

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
OK, I have a sapphire 7970 OC boost, with a base core clock of 950 and a boost of 1000. The memory is at 1450mhz stock and 1475mhz but this is just a different way of stating it. basically this 1450mhz ram that is ddr5(all the same as nvidia's) actually translates to speeds of 5800mhz but if you overclock your ram to 1500mhz then it is actually 6000mhz effective Vram-same as that 670 has. Honestly vram speed isnt TOO much of a performance difference. Also the 7970 has 3GB of Vram, so only 1 gig less BUT the memory interface of the 7970 is more usable because it has a 384 bit memory bus speed compared to the 670's 256bit memory bus.

I have been able to keep my card stable at 1100mhz on the STOCK voltage with no problems but if you want to you can push the core to 1200mhz(I do it all the time when playing farcry3) and keep it stable just by bumping up the voltage to like 1200mv and have been able to get it to 1230 core at 1225mv. its all up to you but even at that voltage you are safe as long as your temps stay good.

also one GREAT advantage the 7970 has is that it comes free with 2 AAA games crysis 3 and bioshock infinite so you can bench the card off that lol. I am honestly planning on getting a second 7970 in the next few months so I can get about 25% more performance than a gtx titan for about 3/4 the price.

zaxxon

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Yeah, that deal is what made me initially look at AMD cards as I was well into the Geforce boat. Unfortunately, that deal ends before I plan on buying, so unless I see a really great deal on a 7970 within the next month, that deal isn't a factor.

@cbrunnem

Thanks for the info, that is a big deal to me and I had no idea it was locked, or at least didn't realize that it would limit overclocking.

crakocaine

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
oh and be careful with xfx brand cards. I am not outright saying they suck but I have heard alot of sob stories with them. Sapphire is usually a more reliable brand.

darth pravus

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
It pretty much does not matter which card you go for.

When both oc'ed both cards outperform each other in different games.

If you did get a 670 though I'd recommend the asus DCUII as it's very cool and quiet compared to the EVGA reference design.

zaxxon

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
True, but the DCUII is pretty costly for very little clock boost. The EVGA FTW Signature2 has both the increased performance of the FTW series, and the dual fans. Its only $10 more because its rebate is less, but I'm not even sure I want to go for the dual fans. I don't care about noise level and the switch 810 has no side fan, so I don't know if having internal exhausting fans would be a good thing.

So, will a 7970 GHz out perform/OC an EVGA GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB every time, or only in some games?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

The 7970 is better most of the time against a 680 let alone an overclocked 670. On pure performance the 7970 is your best option.

Well, as you may have noticed, a lot of sites are starting to compare things other than FPS. It has been shown that there are a lot of factors, other than just FPS, which play a part in the gaming experience; how well frames are space a part, how much latency, how well they sync with the action, micro-stutter/hitching, and possibly more.

It is harder than ever to choose a card.

Watch some videos and see what you think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLcq6IQz-sM&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Md1Xpwq1X0&feature=player_embedded

Of course that is just 2 videos, but it does demonstrate that FPS isn't the only thing to worry about. As these new issues come to light, expect more driver revisions. Things may change in a few months.

Some people may call these biased, as it doesn't show the standard FPS comparison, and is a new method of testing, but it is worth reading. New or not, no other site has ever attempted to analyze the frames and hitching like this method uses.
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-TITAN-Performance-Review-and-Frame-Rating-Update/Frame-Rat
Read the links to Part 1 for a detailed explanation on how they gathered the data, and Part 2 for some videos on the problems.

zaxxon

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Interesting links! I wish the second video told us which was which in the end. :lol:

Unfortunately, I think you are right too, things could change within the next couple months. As it stands though, I am still wondering if the GHz is better than the FTW.

If you go to the end of it, there is a link to a copy of the same video, without covering up the FPS and showing you which card is which. I won't tell you which is which, as I don't want to spoil it for others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_970220&feature=iv&src_vid=0Md1Xpwq1X0&v=7YZa-v1SEUA

zaxxon

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Dang, that is surprising. :eek: I definitely saw which one was better, but...wow... The problem is that that was two months and many driver versions ago... :pt1cable:

At the moment, after doing some research on stable overclocks, it looks like the 670 FTW can get to ~1.2 GHz +/- 30mhz and the 7970 GHZ can get ~1.25ghz +/- 50mhz. Performance in-game varies from brand and driver version so much, clock speeds are almost all I have to work with. :( If I go off of just clock speeds then, everything tells me that the 7970 ghz is better than the 670 FTW, I just cant see it as $60 better.