Sign in with
Your question

Wired and wireless speeds differ a great deal

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 24, 2012 4:55:53 PM

Hello, I am getting 4Mbps speeds on my wired computer but only 1.8Mbsp on my wireless laptop. Why is there such a difference and how can I fix this problem? My laptop is 3 feet away from the modem when I try this, it shows excellent connection. It also always shows 54Mbps when I put my mouse over the wireless icon on the taskbar.
March 25, 2012 6:17:23 AM

Can you be more specific what router do you have and is your wireless network secured, it's can also be due to interference.
m
l
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2012 7:29:00 AM

Firstly, you have 54mbps (megabits, not megabytes) wireless and probably 100mbps over wired connection. And like clever said, you get interference on wifi from neighboring routers, phones, walls, etc etc. The ethernet is hardwired.

Think of the difference with a landline and cell phone. the cell phone will cut out or drop calls 3:1 over a hardwired landline due to interference and the such.
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2012 9:42:24 PM

I am using the router that comes with cci wireless which is the company that I have my internet service with in Alberta. I have a clear view of their tower. With this router I have set up my own wireless network in my house. I live out in the country so there is no interference. My home wireless network is secure.

When I tested my laptop, it was in the same room as the router, about 2 feet away. It says the connection is excellent. I still don't understand why there is such a significant difference in the speeds and why no one can give me any answers to solving this issue.
m
l
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2012 9:47:00 PM

Quote:
Firstly, you have 54mbps (megabits, not megabytes) wireless and probably 100mbps over wired connection.

Your wireless is half the speed AT BEST than your wired.
m
l
March 30, 2012 9:48:44 PM

Why, because of the 54mbps? Is there any way to change this setting?
m
l
!