The HD 7850 vs HD 7870 //budget, not upgrading for 3~ years

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsod1

Distinguished
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Around May or June (but I need to start saving up from now, still a student and all)

BUDGET RANGE: Something around the price range of the 7850 and the 7870

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Gaming at Mid-high/High/high-Max settings with 50-55+ fps, games like dirt 3, trackmania 2, assassins creed 3,4, bf3, fc3, nfs most wanted 2012, torchlight2, crysis 3, dmc, prototype 2, etc. in a 1920x1080 monitor.

multitasking, watching videos in HD, a little photoshop cs6, watching videos on YouTube (flash)

office 2013, music, pdf/epub reading

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: new build from scratch

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
i5-3470,
asrock pro4/mvp,
gskill (2x4gb) ram,
corsair 200r,
seasonic ss400bt

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Flipkart.com (India) The graphic cards available to me: http://goo.gl/6yyjd Trying to keep the total cost as low as possible without affecting the performance.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: India

PARTS PREFERENCES: Eh, anything that performs well at that price point.

OVERCLOCKING: No - Maybe (Depends on whether I'll need a cooler and a better psu, motherboard)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe - Yes (Not anytime soon tho)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: At the moment, I am planning to get the 7870 GHz version (Sapphire) because the XT seems out of stock for over a month, I thought I could reduce it to anything lesser which won't affect gaming too much at that resolution in order to use the left over money on other parts.

Thanks! :D

Solution
Hd 7870 2gb is really good for your needs.do not get from flipkart they are now overprice.you can get hd 7870 at 16-17k at local store

bsod1

Distinguished

Is there any chance of you knowing of any good local store in Bangalore?

So, basically, the 7870 has a better price to performance ratio than the 7850?

These are the options I was looking at:

McGgbYA.png

If I get the XT at a decent price, I might get that instead. Cheers.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Yes. The 7870 is the "sweet spot" where you get the best bang for your buck. Below that, you sacrifice lots of performance to save less money, and above it you pay lots of money for a little performance.

The 7870 is a very good card, and will actually play most games on max settings at 1080p with good framerates. You'll be very happy with the card, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.